Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-X firmware update

What is it, and do I really need it for my new camera? Being new to DSLR, I'm not sure what this does.

Last edited by subeeds; 06-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.
06-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you have a K-7 and don't know what firmware is? Firmware is the software that powers your camera. Sorry for laughing. Try google for more details.
06-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I actually just realized that I put the wrong signature picture there-I have a K-X. I should have phrased my question as to the firmware update. I'm not sure if I need it or if it's just some sort of upgrade and that's what I meant to ask. Edited to add: I edtied my first post to maybe ask the question more sensibly.

Last edited by subeeds; 06-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.
06-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

i am also a new K-x owner and was wondering the same thing. What I have read after doing a google search is that it will resove some issues with the battery power reading being inacurate. My camera will show orange battery power but if i turn it off then back on it will show green again. I think there are also a couple of extra filter settings added.
The other thing I have read is that before downloading the firmware update you must either plug into ac power or be certain that your batteries are fully charged as if the power in the camera goes off during the update this can cause the camera to fail to work, it will not be covered by warranty if this happens and will cost $$ to repair.
I have been kinda waiting until I have time to work out what i am doing before I do it,
so any advice from those in the know would be usefull to any other newbies as well i am sure.

06-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kangamel Quote
i am also a new K-x owner and was wondering the same thing. What I have read after doing a google search is that it will resove some issues with the battery power reading being inacurate. My camera will show orange battery power but if i turn it off then back on it will show green again. I think there are also a couple of extra filter settings added.
The other thing I have read is that before downloading the firmware update you must either plug into ac power or be certain that your batteries are fully charged as if the power in the camera goes off during the update this can cause the camera to fail to work, it will not be covered by warranty if this happens and will cost $$ to repair.
I have been kinda waiting until I have time to work out what i am doing before I do it,
so any advice from those in the know would be usefull to any other newbies as well i am sure.
It is quite easy. If you need instructions, go to pentaximaging.com. They have a section on firmware upgrades available. Just make sure that your batteries are fresh. It is not like installing updates on your computer. It takes a few minutes at most. You don't need an ac adaptor. Just put in new batteries or newly charged. As for whether you should update, you have to decide. I updated my Kx to correct a known battery gauge issue. Anyway, don't avoid an update for fear of failing to have power. Plus, the firmware is from Pentax and not a firmware hack. I am pretty sure you could run it again of get some help easily. Hope this helps.
06-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not had a battery gauge issue to my knowledge it has been showing green since I installed them. I'll check it out, though. Thanks a lot, MSM.
06-14-2010, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

I'm a newbie k-x/dslr user, too, subeeds, and I just updated my k-x a couple of days ago... It was really very easy. The Pentax website has very good step-by-step instructions. I think for any good electronic "gadget", it's always good to keep it up to date. I didn't really notice any difference in my camera after I updated, but at least I know I'm current.

And I completely understand about being hesitant to do it... The manual almost scared me off trying! "You should do this, but if you do and you happen to lose power, your camera will be a useless brick and you'll have to pay us a boatload of cash to un-brick it!" (okay, a bit of an overstatement there, but that's what it felt like when I read it. haha!) Don't be afraid... go for it!
06-14-2010, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #8

I used fresh alkaline batteries as I didn't feel like waiting an hour to top off the rechargeables. Still plenty of juice after the update so don't fret about plugging in AC power. Process takes about a minute.