Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to Pentax digital photography

I have a Pentax K100D. I used to do a lot of land and skyscape photography but after I got the K100D I got out of it. I have been looking to get some new lenses to cover the basics. I have 3 lenses right now, a Pentax-M 1:2 50mm fixed zoom, the lens that came with the K100D; Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm auto focus, and aZenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye.

I am looking for some lenses good for landscape, a good wide angle, and a good basic zoom lens. I would prefer Pentax brand lenses or something with just as good or better quality. I want to know what you would recommend, and if you have a K100D, I would like to see an example or two.

06-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi.

I have a K100D that has a body electrical contact issue (I think) with only third party lenses (I think). Anyway, it's on the shelf until I decide to do something with it.

Your Zenitar has some fans around here. But, you can't have a "fixed zoom" - it's one or the other.

Two lenses for covering the basics are the Pentax 16-45 and 55-300. The pair will run about $650 with good sales.
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Shoeboy.
Welcome to the forum.
My first dSLR was the K100D, and it was a fine little camera - loved the colours from that 6Mp sensor.
My picks for wide angles for landscapes would be the DA 12-24 (if you don't mind zooms) or the DA 15 and/or DA 21 (if you know the focal length you like for landscapes).

A general all-purpose zoom can be found in the DA* 16-50 (if you want weather sealing, although you won't have SDM focusing since the K100D doesn't support SDM) - this would be doubling up with your kit lens a lot in terms of focal lengths, but is of considerably better optical quality. Otherwise, the Tamron 17-50 is well respected as an optically favourable option, but is not weather sealed.

Examples of the DA 12-24:

Examples of the DA* 16-50:

As above, the DA 55-300 is simply the best value telezoom lens around. My examples are below:
06-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shoeboy Quote
I have a Pentax K100D. I used to do a lot of land and skyscape photography but after I got the K100D I got out of it. I have been looking to get some new lenses to cover the basics. I have 3 lenses right now, a Pentax-M 1:2 50mm fixed zoom, the lens that came with the K100D; Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm auto focus, and aZenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye.

I am looking for some lenses good for landscape, a good wide angle, and a good basic zoom lens.
Seems to me you already *have* all of the above. The 18-55 is a good basic zoom lens, and as such ist's good for landscape. At the 18mm end it's also a good wide angle, as is the Zenitar. Is there something specific about these lenses that is not meeting your needs?

06-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The wide angle I'm looking for something where I can get a little more zoom out of things, the 18mm side of things is what I have been working with, but if I want to zoom in at all, it seems I lose a lot of detail. The Zenitar I bought mainly for fun. I do a bit of automotive, and I have just started some band work, but for landscape I find it distorts everything to much, which is fine is some cases, but not for others.
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think perhaps you are misuing the term "zoom" and "wider angle" here, so it's difficult to be sure what you are asking about. Wide angle means the 18mm end of your zoom - or taking in an wider view, which your 18-55 doesn't do (but your Zenitar does). If you're talking about "zoming in", then you aren't talking wide angle at all. but it isn't clear wht you mean by "losing detail", then - you should always get *more* detail zooming in than at the wide angle.

As for the distortion of the Zenitar, that can be fixed in software, but it still isn't clear what about the 18-55 isn't meeting your needs, since you speak of "zooming in".

I think it would help if you posted pictures to demonstrate what you are trying to say.
06-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shoeboy Quote
The 18mm side of things is what I have been working with, but if I want to zoom in at all, it seems I lose a lot of detail. .
I'm not sure what the exact nature of the problem is. By "zoom in," do you mean zoom in with the lens? The 18-55 is not a great lens, but you should still get more detail with it when you zoom in. Did you really mean to say you would like to go wider? Or are you dissatisfied with the optical quality of the lens? In other words, are you looking to build on top of your existing kit, or are you looking to replace it with superior optics? In any case, if you want to go wider and/or get better glass, it's going to be expensive. The 12-24 is a great choice for a wide angle zoom but even a used copy of this lens can run over $550. The 16-45 is nearly half the cost of the 12-24 with comparable optical quality but doesn't go much wider than the 18-55. The 16-50 is an even better choice optically, but it costs more than the 12-24 and there have been some QC complaints directed against it.