Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is this normal?

I have a brand new K-x , when I focus on the sky or a plain light background I can see circular lines in the viewwfinder mosly around the edges. The best way i can describe it is like the lines of a fingerprint or the rings in a cut tree or polishing marks. They are even and they overlap. I took the camera back to the store to ask them and the sales guy said it was just marks on the focus screen. He pulled out another K-x and said this has got it too. I could only see just (maybe if I tried) the faintest hint of them in the other camera (if at all) the sales guy just kept insisting they were visable in the other camera as well.
I can unerstand that they are on the focus screen and do not affect the images taken, but, is it usual for them to be so visable. This is my first dslr so I really don't know what's normal. The fact that I could not see them in the other camera has left me confused about whether or not it is something I should put up with or expect to be fixed. I have googled but can't find anything helpfull. Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated.

06-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

probably it is a faulty focusing screen. I have a K-x and the VF image hasn't got any such artifacts. Ask Pentax customer service.
06-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have these "circular lines" in your photographs? In the affirmative, please post some shots: you will get more feedback and comments if you could shows some examples.

If these "lines" do not appear in your photographs, it is puzzling. It would be worth to post a couple of shots that you took and for which you observed these "circular lines".
06-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
probably it is a faulty focusing screen. .
Yes the guy in the shop who looked at it said it was the focusing screen, but said it was normal, just that like you said of your camera it wasn't visable in the other camera he showed me even though he insisted it was. I was looking at the shops camera saying I can't see it in this one and he just kept saying yes it's in there too . Which just made me feel like I couldn't trust him telling me it was normal.
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Do you have these "circular lines" in your photographs?
No hcc I cant see any evidence of them in my photographs, which makes it seem that it is the focus screen or mirror or something which doesn't affect the photo. It is visable even if I switch lenses so it's not in the lens either.

Do any other K-x users see this?

06-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's normal; it's the focusing screen. On my k200d (which I sold) they were more prominent and visible. Like you, I was worried, and checked online forums and discussions for an answer, and I was relieved to find out they weren't finger prints. (They look like fingerprints, but there is a clear symmetrical pattern.) They show up on my K-x as well, although they are a bit less conspicuous. I can see them if I point the camera towards the sky.
06-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kangamel Quote
I have a brand new K-x , when I focus on the sky or a plain light background I can see circular lines in the viewwfinder mosly around the edges. The best way i can describe it is like the lines of a fingerprint or the rings in a cut tree or polishing marks. They are even and they overlap. I took the camera back to the store to ask them and the sales guy said it was just marks on the focus screen. He pulled out another K-x and said this has got it too. I could only see just (maybe if I tried) the faintest hint of them in the other camera (if at all) the sales guy just kept insisting they were visable in the other camera as well.
What you see are the rings of the Fresnel screen on the back of you focusing screen. These rings can be seen with any other camera under similar lighting conditions, except very old (1950/1960s) SLRs, which sometimes lack the Fresnel screen.

The Fresnel screen is there, because it reduces the natural light fall-off on the screen and thus provides an even brightness right to the corners of the screen.

Ben
06-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those replies, I feel better now, and very glad I didn't make a fuss about it in the shop or I would be feeling pretty about now
06-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
probably it is a faulty focusing screen. I have a K-x and the VF image hasn't got any such artifacts. Ask Pentax customer service.
You might want to check your diopter adjustment for the viewfinder. If it is set so that your eye is properly focused on the screen, you should be able to see the Fresnel lines when looking at a well lit, plain background.