Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree Quote
I called B&H and he said unless I bought the actual Pentax Brand flash that the wireless doesn't matter on the K-x; it wouldn't work as slave.
That is wrong, BTW. Any flash that supports wireless P-TTL, will work as a slave with the K-X's on board flash.

Thank you
Russell

07-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Don't throw it away monching 'coz you can still you it as a secondary flash!
If it has a PC sync socket, then the K7 has a PC sync socket too or you can use a light trigger to trip it or those radio triggers so you don't need it to connect directly to the K7.
Oh, okay man thanks for the tip I'll save it for the reason that you have just said but still need to learn it first ( the light trigger/radio trigger thing). Very much appreciated Gerry
08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #33

Pentax KX

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I'm with SOldBear and others. A tough old flash like the Vivitar 285HV or Sunpak 383 Super (which I've been shooting with) is a good way to go. I prefer to skip the cable and use a cheap Chinese wireless trigger (the poor man's Pocket Wizard). I'm not sure about getting either of these for <$50. All the Strobist folks out there have driven prices up recently. Definitely should be able to get them for <$80 though (you can still get lucky).
Are there any issues to think about for Vivitar 285HV to use on a pentax kx
08-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by azreal1983 Quote
Welcome to the forums azreal!
The Viv 285HV should have no issues with digital.
I have bought it as my first flash for the K100D super.
It is more of a manual flash though since you just can't set it to do P-TTL.
It is also an auto-thyristor flash so if set at auto or the right settings followed on its dial then it should give you good exposures every time.

11-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on how old the 285HV is. I don't know if the HV specifies a newer model or something else, but the older 285s can have camera-frying voltages. If you don't have a voltmeter take it to an electronics store and ask if they will check it for you. See info above for safe voltage levels.

Mike
11-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
It depends on how old the 285HV is. I don't know if the HV specifies a newer model or something else...
According to Vivitar (back when it was not yet sold to whatever now), all 285HV units are safe. "HV" does specify newer model.
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #37

I have a Sigma EF-530 DG ST if anyone want it. send me a PM with ur location and we can talk price inc postage. Worldwide postage.

Cheers

11-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sigma EF-530 DG ST if anyone want it. send me a PM with ur location and we can talk price inc postage. Worldwide postage.

Cheers
Note that there is a marketplace forum for this sort of post.
11-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #39
Forum Member

I have a Vivitar 550FD coming soon that I picked up for about 9 bucks on eBay to try and get some cheap practice with a strobe for use on my K-x and ME Super film. I was wondering what all I need to do to get a rig like SOldbear has for off camera hotshoe extension. What numbers do I need to look at when buying a hotshoe adapter and cord?

Will a Nikon adapter work since it has low voltages?
11-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Turbo_Spool900 Quote
I was wondering what all I need to do to get a rig like SOldbear has for off camera hotshoe extension. What numbers do I need to look at when buying a hotshoe adapter and cord?
The one in the photo of my post on page 1 of this thread is specific to Sunpak. The cord goes between the module (with light sensor, attached to the camera's hot shoe) and the flash unit.

For a cable of general purpose use, please read this post.

BTW, here is the Vivitar 550FD manual. For Pentax K- DSLRs, ignore the parts of the manual about TTL. When the flash is set to TTL, it will fire full power.

Last edited by SOldBear; 11-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
11-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #41
Forum Member

Thanks!. So the cord doesn't really have anything to do with voltages. It just carries the signal through the wires. I was thinking of radio triggers, I think.

If I can't use TTL metering with this flash, do you know of a good guide to calculate exposure without it? I know that distance from subject has a lot to do with it, but knowing the f/stop and power settings on the flash make things kinda confusing.
12-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So from what I've been reading here I am beginning to wonder about setting up my Sigma EF530 DG ST as an off camera strobe with my K10D. Does anyone out there have this kind of set up and if so how is it working for you. Most of the flas triggers I am looking at say they work with the Sigma super series, but not a peep about the ST's.