Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
What do you do with them when they go dead?
He does what I do--we throw them out.

06-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #17

When it tells me it's half way down, I always bring an extra four around.
If I go out for a longer shoot, I have the extra batteries for both my camera and my fLip.

Plus, we recycle batteries at work, so I just bring them in and dump them in the container.
06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #18

I've never heard of Eneloops. I always used the Lithium batteries. Are Eneloops better?
06-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
He does what I do--we throw them out.
Along with the money spent on them. $10 every couple of months versus $10 every few *years* (my Eneloops are still going strong after, I think, 4 years).

06-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by a_brooke2006 Quote
I've never heard of Eneloops. I always used the Lithium batteries. Are Eneloops better?
They're rechargeable. $10 on a set of Eneloops and you're set for probably as long as you'll own the camera. Eneloops aren't the *only* brand of rechargeable batteries, but as virtually every post in every one of the many threads on this topic attests, they're the best - and not any more expensive than other options.
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

They don't sell them at any retailers, right?
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I use Energizer NiMH recharables for ALL batteries in my kit...K100D, flashes, *ist w/battery grip, and anything else in my kit that uses them. They seem to last just as long or longer than alkalines on each charge.
06-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Inactive Account

About 3 years ago I picked up two sets of these (8 batteries total).

Along with the smart charger:

HAven't been disappointed yet, and even if they sit in my bag for 2-3 months, when I put them in my flash (that's where I use them most) they're ready like I just took them off the charger.

The charger works great for all other rechargeables as well. TV Remote seems to get recharged the most, 4x AAA. The kids have fast fingers.......

06-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter

No, but not far behind. (This coming from a former die-hard lithium user).

I just ordered 4 C9000 chargers and 8 sets of 4 eneloops for work. I consider these "Professional grade"

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 06-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
06-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
About 3 years ago I picked up two sets of these (8 batteries total).

Along with the smart charger:

HAven't been disappointed yet, and even if they sit in my bag for 2-3 months, when I put them in my flash (that's where I use them most) they're ready like I just took them off the charger.

The charger works great for all other rechargeables as well. TV Remote seems to get recharged the most, 4x AAA. The kids have fast fingers.......
Nice pic. of one of the best chargers I have ever used,
06-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #26

I used the Energizer rechargeables and they stink. They died in like a week. I was very dissappointed because they are pretty expensive.
06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I used Energizer rechargables for a while, but they aren't good for very long (only a handful of charges) and are prone to memory effects.

I've since switched to Eneloops for my camera gear (flash) and haven't had 1 problem in about 2 years with them. They are solid.

Because Eneloops aren't readily available where I live (only 1 store carries them and they are about 45mins from my house) I've purchased Duracell rechargables for TV remotes, etc. They work great as well, and my understanding is that they are actually rebranded Eneloops and Rayovac's anyway (depending on if they have a black or a white top).

c[_]
06-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
They don't sell them at any retailers, right?
Eneloops? Sure, there are pretty widely available, at least in the US. And failing that, there's half a dozen other brands of hybrid / low-self-discharge cells. I think even Wal-Mart carries one of them.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I used the Energizer rechargeables and they stink. They died in like a week. I was very dissappointed because they are pretty expensive.
You can't judge a rechargeable cell just by the length of time it last - it's more about the number of shots. If it died within a week without taking any shots, that would be a problem - and it's why virtually everyone recommends the low-self-discharge cells like Eneloops. But most rechargeables would be good for anywhere between 500 and 1000 shots per charge. If you shoot that many pictures in a single day, the cells will need recharging every day. But if tkes you a month to shoot that many, you'll go longer between charges.

Also, the number of shots per charge depends in part on the how good your charger is. You don't need anything super expensive; just not the cheapest ones that don't know when to shut off.

There are like a hundred existing threads on batteries in these forums. Virtually everyone question one could think to ask has already been answered 30 or 40 times by now, so I highly recommend doing some simple searches if anyone still has questions.
06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #30
Site Supporter

No eneloops at retailers where I live.
Best choice is SANYO ENELOOP AA 2000 mAh 4 Battery Pack Ultra Low Discharge..
Topped with,MAHA MH-C9000 Advanced Battery ChargerFree Deluxe Storage Ca..