Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

AA Batteries: What do you use?

LiMH? Alkaline? Li-Ion?

I used to used LiMH, but i had too many battery sets fail from overcharging, and was constantly annoyed with batteries that drained just by sitting for a month.

Lately I have just been buying bulk packs of alkalines at costco, but ive gone through a few 48 packs already (my daughter, who absconded with my first k100D), helps alot in that regard; interesting side note, she is 15, and does not get why i geek out over old non autofocusing lenses; 95% of the time she sticks with the kit lens, though i did give her some longer pentax AF zooms)

i have a set of low discharge LiMH batteries, but if i go that route i probably need to buy a smart charger with an automatic conditioning cycle, and the charger alone costs about 100 alkalines ($28), and the better LiMH batteries themselve are about $10 a set of 4.

what do other people with K100Ds or K200Ds do?

06-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the sticky thread at the top of the Beginner's forum, which is where I'm moving this thread too. You'll see it's virtually unanimous for Eneloops or similar hybrid / low-self-discharge NiMH. These can be used in "normal" chargers, although you do want one that shuts off automatically. Alkalines are close to worthless; by far the most expensive and environmentally unfriendly solution possible. For $35, a decent charge and two sets of alkalines will be all you need for *years*.

EDIT: looks like the sticky thread I mentioned has been moved to the "accessories" forum. I wouldn't have looked for it there, either. I'll see about moving it back.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-15-2010 at 05:40 PM.
06-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Eneloops............Check below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/92821-bat...-take-aas.html
06-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Didn't even know what Eneloops were until I came here. I went and picked up a few sets and cannot believe I wasted so much time recharging my old batteries every week.

06-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops work great in a D-BG4 grip BTW.
They have more A$$ than d-li90
06-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Eneloops work great in a D-BG4 grip BTW.
They have more A$$ than d-li90
I was kind of disappointed when I tried this. Mine didn't last very long. I could have a weak battery in the set and my grip is the generic one. The rechargeables also weigh a lot more than the proprietary battery.
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bought this off eBay and impressed with it. The cells are now MIC but seems to last longer than the 1st gen Eneloop. It is a full featured charger with discharge feature.

BCG34HRE4R | バッテリー | ソニー
06-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Eneloops, Ray O Vac "Hybrids" are what I use, they both work very well....Don't buy non rechargables, go green !!!!

06-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

I just use the Energizer Lithium batteries (the blue and silver ones, ~$10/4). They seem to last me about 5-6 months of usual use.
06-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christemo Quote
I just use the Energizer Lithium batteries (the blue and silver ones, ~$10/4). They seem to last me about 5-6 months of usual use.
What do you do with them when they go dead?
06-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
What do you do with them when they go dead?
Boil some soup for the children. I prefer rechargeable too even though they will end up dead eventually. If there are better ways to save the planet, I am listening.
06-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
rkt

a big plus one for Sanyo Eneloops ... used them on my K200D and never had a problem ...
06-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I was kind of disappointed when I tried this. Mine didn't last very long. I could have a weak battery in the set and my grip is the generic one. The rechargeables also weigh a lot more than the proprietary battery.
I use the C9000 charger, all the batteries seem to be very closely matched when done charging. Grip being generic should have nothing to do with it.
I estimate around 800 or so shots per charge from eneloops in the grip. Have not done an actual test however.
06-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christemo Quote
I use Eneloops and Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. For flash, I use the Eneloops exclusively because I blow through batteries in a hurry. For the camera, especially when traveling, the lithiums are far more convenient that taking a charger and converters, and the AF jumps to attention when driven by Lithiums. Yes, you need to save them for special pick-up by the Solid Waste Dept, but if you won't be doing this very often. I hardly use the on-camera flash, so I get well over 3,000 exposures from the K-x on a set of Energizer Lithiums. That means I am not disposing of many battery carcasses.
06-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've got Eneloops and these from Thomas Distributing. I like them so well I got a couple extra sets (and some AAAs), and I'm now using them in almost all my devices.

After I use up the remaining stash of Duracells, I won't be buying any more. I cut a small hole in the top of a plastic sherbet container, and I throw the old batteries in there. When it gets full, I take 'em to the recycling place. I'll probably take 'em soon, as I also have to recycle a battery pack from my UPS....

Last edited by twokatmew; 06-16-2010 at 07:18 AM.