Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matsui255 Quote
But while in my living room I can not get it off of -3.

I am trying to post some photos to show you guys but they are not showing upon photobucket? Can you not upload RAW photos to photobucket?
You must be accidentally changing that setting yourself--it should be in the middle at ZERO. There's an ev button at the top of the camera that shifts that. And you use the wheel to manually move it to zero.

Once at zero, it should never move.

You're not ready for that yet. This for exposure compensation, and allows you to override the camera's automatic metering by 3 stops overexposure or 3 stops underexposure. You don't want to deal with this yet, so get it zero and if you see it ever go AWAY from zero, post again.

You might be accidentally hitting the e/v button at the top of the camera.

06-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by kangamel Quote
I am also a new K-x owner so I can't offer you the advice that you asked for but I can say I had the same sort of experience when I came home with my camera. Snap snap snap and arrrggg what . i started wondering if I should have spent my money on a good P&S.
Over the last 2 weeks or so I have got to know the camera a little better and have got some better shots. What has helped me is a good book about photography basics and digital jargon so I can make sense of the manual, then I just keep going back to the manual. I'm shooting in Auto( green button) or other Auto mode when when I need to get a photo I don't want to miss and choose one of the other semi manual settings to play aound with when it doesn't matter if I get a decent shot or not. A couple of weeks has made a big difference to how I feel about my choice to buy a K-x, I'm very happy I did even though I still have a LOT to learn to make the most of it. I've realised that what Kytra said about faster lenses is true for me too, so while I'm learning to use what I've got I'm saving for a faster lens.
Hope that helps some.
Hey, same here. I was unimpressed with my initial shots the first few days. I do feel that I am getting slowly better. It's been a month for me with the K-x. I have not read any photography book, only the messages on this forum. LOL.
I got an A 50mm F1.7 to help with the low light conditions (better bokeh in portraiture is a nice plus). However, don't expect to get crystal clear images in every single shot. With a larger aperture, the DOF goes down, and manual focus becomes more challenging for someone like me who is still learning. I don't regret my purchase, though. Do save up and buy that fast prime. It's well worth it. Just be prepared for a handful of out-of-focus shots the first few days that you use it.
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am trying to post some photos to show you guys but they are not showing upon photobucket? Can you not upload RAW photos to photobucket?
Correct, and for good reason - no web browser can display them, and even if some did, they'd look different on everyone's systems. RAW images are just that - they have not been processed into a form viewable on a computer. The software you are using on your computer is doing that for you, but every program will do so differently. At some point before sharing RAW images with others, you have to convert to JPEG.

As for general advice, I'd recommend visiting the local library or bookstore and getting a basic book on photography. The basic concepts of exposure and how to control aperture and shutter speed are decades old and are common to virtually all SLR's, including digital DSLR's. The only thing that differs from camera to camera are specific button layouts. But any book on photography will explain Av mode, Tv mode, P mode, and how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO relate to each other. then you can check your manual to see how to perform any specific tasks beyond that.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-19-2010 at 10:13 PM.
06-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Sv mode means you select the sensitivity (ISO) of the sensor, the camera will adjust shutter speed and aperture for proper exposure. If you're in a dark room and choose 100, there won't be enough light, so you would have to choose 800, 1600, etc.

I suggest you do the following:

Turn auto ISO off. Set ISO to 400. Go outside. Set to Av mode (aperture priority mode). Set aperture to 5.6.

Camera will now ONLY adjust your shutter speed for proper exposure. Look at the shutter speed the camera picked for you as you aim at a scene or subject, and notice how it changes when you point to different things of varying darkness/lightness.

Now, set your aperture to 8.

See the difference?

Keeping your ISO FIXED to start (not auto) and playing in Av mode will better teach you how the various elements affect proper exposure. When you run into a shot you can't do at 400ISO, you'll know to increase its speed.

So I take back what I said above. I still hate auto ISO.
This is solid advice - if you are new to dSLRs, it's harder to learn when you are juggling three settings (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO) versus playing with just one at a time. If I may add to this:

A. Outdoors, set the ISO to 200, put the camera in Aperture-Priority (Av), and play. Take the same photo with different apertures and compare the results. You won't notice much of a difference if you just point the camera into your backyard, so try to position yourself 3-5 feet from a subject with and interesting background 10+ feet behind.

B. Indoors or in low light, set the ISO to 3200 and do the same thing. When you review your shots, whether in camera or on-screen, take note of the aperture and shutter speed of each shot.

Enjoy!

06-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks I went outside and took some pics of flowers and see how it changes in different lights. I nwas able to get the exposure to 0(is that what the little meter is from -3 to 3?) while outside. But while in my living room I can not get it off of -3.

see my other note. When inside set the ISO to 3200 and try again.

And since you are just starting out, don't bother with RAW. Shoot JPEG. You're learning a lot of new things at once - no need to add that variable just yet.
06-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #21

*Breathe* and now smile. The k-x RAWKS, and that is no lie! When you get this all ironed out, you are going to love it! But you do have to learn to understand your camera. You will have to read the manual. You are going to have to study and practice to get exposure.

I think the reason you cannot get the meter to read above -3 indoors has to do with the slow 3.5 f/stop. So, as stated above, try upping the ISO. *Warning* You will likely get some noise, but it will be better if you expose to the right.

After you figure out how great your k-x is, you need to get yourself some nice, fast prime glass.
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote

I think the reason you cannot get the meter to read above -3 indoors has to do with the slow 3.5 f/stop.
No--she accidentally hit the ev button and turned the wheel to -3.

In Av mode, the LCD display for ev doesn't ever change, regardless of ISO selected, available light, or anything else.

It's always locked, and in this case, 3 stops.

She has to hit the button again and turn back to zero.

06-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
No--she accidentally hit the ev button and turned the wheel to -3.

In Av mode, the LCD display for ev doesn't ever change, regardless of ISO selected, available light, or anything else.

It's always locked, and in this case, 3 stops.

She has to hit the button again and turn back to zero.
Yes, you are correct. I was thinking in manual (perhaps I was derailed by Subeeds post), rather than Av. So sorry to add to the confusion.