Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #1

Pentax Lenses? What can I do with them?

Ok so a friend recently dropped off a whole lot of old lenses. I think most of them are Takumar and Asahi. I have a 35mm 3.5 and a 135mm 3.5 Takumar as well as a 50mm 1.4 Asahi. What can these lenses be used on? Anything digital? How about a Pentax Kx. I think they are an M42 mount or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

06-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You can buy Pentax K body to M42 lens adapter and use those lenses on K-x. They're all have good reputation I think. Congrats! Let me know if you dont need them *kidding*

Keep in mind there are two kind of M42 adapter, the cheap one with flange and the original Pentax (and clones) without flange. The flange ones are cheaper, like half the price (at least here in Korea) but you can not get infinity focus if you use them. The flangeless are more expensive but you can focus to infinity. Your choice.
06-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

sell some of them and buy a K-x+adapter. Do some research on e-bay and here to see which are the prices. Examine them carefully for fungus and damages before selling.

Good luck!
06-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those lenses are all selling for a pretty penny these days.

You also might have a real rarity or two if any of them just say Asahi and not Takumar, although some say both on the same lens. (Asahi Takumar.)

So if any just say Asahi, please describe it in detail.

06-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Those lenses are all selling for a pretty penny these days.

You also might have a real rarity or two if any of them just say Asahi and not Takumar, although some say both on the same lens. (Asahi Takumar.)

So if any just say Asahi, please describe it in detail.

You're right. When researching these lenses, the OP should keep in mind that the EXACT terminology that is engraved on the lenses makes a big difference.

There's a difference between a Takumar, a Super Takumar and a Super Multi-Coated Takumar. Then there are the Auto Takumars and Tele Takumars.

Also, to the OP, there are preset lenses (Takumar or Tele Takumar), semi-auto aperture (Auto Takumar) and fully automatic aperture (Super Takumar, Super Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Takumar) lenses. All have different uses and values.

Of course, condition plays a part in determining usefulness and resale value, as does the relative rarity.

As others have said, these lenses can almost certainly be used on a dslr, with the proper adapter. I use a 50mm, f/1.4 Super Takumar on my K10D and it is superb. Many of those old M42 lenses are optically as good as the best you can buy today, and they often have a better build quality. No plastic lens mounts in those babies! Anything on those lenses that isn't glass is metal.
06-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
wow thanks guys.
you have all been really helpful

i think some of the Takumars are a 35mm 3.5 and a 135mm 3.5. there was one asahi which was a 50mm 1.4.
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As others have said, you could purchase an entry-level DSLR like the amazing K-x, and an adapter, and experiment with the lenses. If you find more recent lenses would be more to your likeing, the great thing is that you can resell these lenses and finance the expense of newer lenses that way.
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Flinky Quote
wow thanks guys.
you have all been really helpful

i think some of the Takumars are a 35mm 3.5 and a 135mm 3.5. there was one asahi which was a 50mm 1.4.
MAKE A LIST!

If that 50 1.4 only says Asahi on it, that could be worth a lot, a LOT of money.

06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

MAKE A LIST!

If that 50 1.4 only says Asahi on it, that could be worth a lot, a LOT of money.
Yeah, but I don't think I've ever heard of a 50mm, 1.4 that said ONLY Asahi on it. That would put it back in the Asahiflex days (1952-1956), wouldn't it?

I think that they ALL (or just about all) say "Asahi Optical Co." on them. That is simply the name of the company.

To the OP: What else does it say on that lens? Does it look like this one?

PENTAX 50mm f1.4 Super-Takumar M42 Prime Normal Lens - eBay (item 260615773886 end time Jul-06-10 22:21:12 PDT)

The exact wording is very, very important if you want to know exactly which lenses you have. For example, there were at least three variations of the 50mm, f/1.4 lens: a Super Takumar, a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar, and an SMC Takumar. All were optically similar. The differences were mostly in that the Super Takumar did not have linkage for wide-open aperture metering that the other two did have. This feature appeared on the ES, ES-II and Spotmatic F, the last of the Pentax screw-mount cameras.
06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
That would put it back in the Asahiflex days (1952-1956), wouldn't it?
I don't know much about the historic lenses, but YEAH, that's why I think it's so valuable.

I think when they just say ASAHI and nothing else, you're getting into this extremely early era.
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

old m42 lens are infinitely more fun than any modern lens. and they're cheap too. takumars are a great set.
06-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Flinky,

Well up at the top of the page of this site there is an items labeled "Lenses", that will lead you here...I would scroll down to the "Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses" section and match up the lenses with the descriptions and pictures. You will also get a good idea of how good the lens is and somewhat of a price range. On the price, folks with these lenses have tended to have purchased them years ago, so the prices may not be fully reflective of the market or demand.

As everyone has pointed out, with any of the Pentax bodies and an adapter you can use any of these lenses, and there are a lot of folks here that do exactly that. It also sounds like a number of readers here would like to see just what came your way - as we all should be so lucky. So all you have to do is to copy off the descriptions from around the front lens and post a list. It appears that there are folks that would really enjoy investigating the lenses with you - letting you know what you actually have.

If you have something that Adam currently does not have in the lens database, I am sure that he would really like to add a new lens and picture!

06-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yoshizuki Quote
old m42 lens are infinitely more fun than any modern lens. and they're cheap too. takumars are a great set.
They definitely brought back the fun in photography for me.
06-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't know much about the historic lenses, but YEAH, that's why I think it's so valuable.

I think when they just say ASAHI and nothing else, you're getting into this extremely early era.
His point was that the 50/1.4 didn't exist back in those very early days.
06-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
His point was that the 50/1.4 didn't exist back in those very early days.
Maybe it was a prototype for Hirahito's son.