Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Buying my first Pentax (k-x)

Hello all!

I've been roaming around this forum for quite some time and I have found everything and everyone to be extremely helpful! So here's my first question.

After searching around for my own personal DSLR, something that my parents will be able to use, brothers and sisters, I decided to go for the Pentax K-X because of the rave reviews, the features and the price. But I'm stuck at an end. I LOVE the White version of the K-X but it seems that the White K-X doesn't come in a 2 lenses kit.

My question is should I just buy the White K-X with the kit lenses, 18-55 and a separate telezoom later on or get the black K-X with the 2 lenses kit ( 55-300)

Thanks all!

06-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either way you will get a nice system (K-x + 18-55, or K-x + 2 zooms). I think that the strength of Pentax is the offer of prime lenses. The kit lenses (18-55, 50-300)are excellent value for money, but a zoom cannot have the same image quality (IQ) as a prime lens.

Pentax offers a variety of world-leading prime lenses incl. the FA pancakes (very handy with the K-x to fit in your pocket), the DA limited and the DA*. In addition, there are also very nice 3rd party prime lenses.

If you think that your family will use the zooms, get them as they are value for money. After using the 18-55mm, in particular, for a while, you will have a better idea of the focal distance(s) that you use most. Then you could consider investing in a prime lens (or a couple of prime lenses) corresponding of your preferred focal distance, or in a fast prime with large aperture (and small f-).

Hope that the comment will help...
06-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 55-300 is a very good lens for the money, but the kit version does not come with a (highly recommended) lens hood. The "regular" version of the 55-300 has a hood and metal mount.

The 2-lens combo is a good starter. After getting some experience with that set up, you will start thinking about getting different lenses, and will have a better idea of what you want.
06-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I was in the same boat when I got mine. In the end I went with white body and bought the normal 55-300mm separately. Overall that's a bit more expensive than the dual lens kit. But the white body is just really pretty and stands out when I am right next to all my friends with their Canons.

06-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I did the same thing; bought the white kit with the 18-55, then bought the DA 55-300 separately. If you're worried about black lenses on a white body, don't. The white body is actually black and white, so everything color coordinates perfectly well . Of course, it also takes great photographs as well.
06-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all!

Another I really like is the backward compatibility with the K-x and the older Pentax lenses. I'm really looking forward to picking up some 50mm f1.7 lenses, it seems they are really good lenses for video.
06-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's not rational to care whether you get a white or black camera - just buy whatever is less expensive. This is an era of disposable camera bodies - you aren't buying something you're likely to be living with for decades.

Zooms are fine - you don't need fixed focal length lenses, ever, except for very specific cases where you may want a faster lens. Undeniably the very best fixed focal length lenses generally outperform equivalent zooms, but if you crop a little because you can't fill the frame with a fixed focal length, that's also a compromise in image quality. And if you don't use a full frame camera, or medium format, or... everything is a compromise in image quality. Most of us started with fixed focal length lenses - at one time I had 28, 35,50, 135, and 200mm Takumars - because there were only a few, slow zooms, many of dubious quality. And lens speed mattered more with Kodachrome, particularly in its ASA/ISO 10 or 25 incarnations, than with a dslr. But then more and better zooms appeared, and we moved on, just as we made the transition from film to digital.

Paul
06-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
Hello all!

I've been roaming around this forum for quite some time and I have found everything and everyone to be extremely helpful! So here's my first question.

After searching around for my own personal DSLR, something that my parents will be able to use, brothers and sisters, I decided to go for the Pentax K-X because of the rave reviews, the features and the price. But I'm stuck at an end. I LOVE the White version of the K-X but it seems that the White K-X doesn't come in a 2 lenses kit.

My question is should I just buy the White K-X with the kit lenses, 18-55 and a separate telezoom later on or get the black K-X with the 2 lenses kit ( 55-300)

Thanks all!
Here you go

Found it:White K-x with 55-300 kit: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

06-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

congrats on the purchase! 2 lens kit plus a few primes and you're set.
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another congrats on a great camera purchase.
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I hope you are as happy with your new K-X as I am with mine.
06-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
thanks guys!

I have one quick question.

When my K-x arrives, should I put in the batteries that come with the camera and do the firmware update right away? I have read that doing the update with low batteries is a big no no because it can brick the camera.
06-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

thanks guys!

I have one quick question.

When my K-x arrives, should I put in the batteries that come with the camera and do the firmware update right away? I have read that doing the update with low batteries is a big no no because it can brick the camera.
I don't think it even takes a minute of operational time, so I'm pretty sure new batteries will be fine.
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't think it even takes a minute of operational time, so I'm pretty sure new batteries will be fine.
Thanks! I'm just scared that it'll brick. It seems that it has happened to quite a few k-x users who tried to upgrade the f/w.
06-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Nah...

Thanks! I'm just scared that it'll brick. It seems that it has happened to quite a few k-x users who tried to upgrade the f/w.
Anything is possible.

Probable...? Nah... Tons more have succeeded. Follow the instructions and go for it!

Enjoy the season..