Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

I've bought a Pentax K1000 & Weston V

Dear Group, for years i have used a Chinon CE4, which i bought maybe 25 years ago. I took it with me on a trip to Madrid last month and it let me down, the shutter failed to respond, but i guess it doesn't owe me anything.

Anyways, afetr scouring Ebay i found a mint condition K1000. And when i say mint i mean mint, not a single sign of use whatsoever.

I also found, and bought, a beautiful Weston V light meter, for no other reason that it looks wonderful and it was just 4.

So, i was wondering if i could still use such an old meter, it appears to be in full working order.
I tried it just the other day in my garden, i focused my Pentax quiet close up to a sunny brick wall and noticed the settings according to the TTl meter then i checked with the Weston and they were the same. I then focused the Pentax at a variety of things, my neighbours rooftop and the bottom of my garden and again noted the settings. The Weston gave me slightly different readings, but nothing to a set pattern, some were slightyl higher, some a tad lower.

My question is, is this the sort of behaviour i can expect, will the Weston read different light levels in different situations compared to the K1000's light meter?

Thanks for your help chaps.

06-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Weston should read more or less the same light quantity as the camera, as long as it is measuring the same surface/composition.

The light meter's opening and measuring angle, combined with distance and direction is what makes it capture light.
I guess it is hard to have your camera's lens is capturing the same composition allways.
For instance, if your subject is 100 ft away, you may see a very different reading with the camera using an 18mm or a 200mm lens. The latter might only "see" a shadow or high light zone of the composition of the 18mm lens.
While your light meter will always read out the same from that distance.

- Bert