Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What is it doing?

I was taking some pictures outside today. I tried to take a picture with camera and lens pointing down towards a flower it would auto focus but when I tried to press the shutter button nothing happened...it would not take the pic? This also happened inside a couple times but, the camera was upright then? What I am I doing wrong.

06-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera and lens are you using?

Did you have the grip installed? When I first started using one a good while ago It took me a week before I realized that my hand was accidentally pressing controls on the grip, conflicting with the regular controls

Otherwise, not quite sure what's going wrong. Do you still have the AF confirmation in your viewfinder, or is it gone before you try to take the photo?

If you switch the camera to full Manual focus, does the shutter click whenever you press the button, or does it still hesitate?

Finally, remove and reseat the lens to see if that was the issue.
06-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

my guess is you were too close to the flower to achieve proper focus. if that is the case you can either increase the distance between the camera and subject or use manual focus if the reason for not focusing is not the distance
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Which camera and lens are you using?

Did you have the grip installed? When I first started using one a good while ago It took me a week before I realized that my hand was accidentally pressing controls on the grip, conflicting with the regular controls

Otherwise, not quite sure what's going wrong. Do you still have the AF confirmation in your viewfinder, or is it gone before you try to take the photo?

If you switch the camera to full Manual focus, does the shutter click whenever you press the button, or does it still hesitate?

Finally, remove and reseat the lens to see if that was the issue.
I had the Pentax 55-300mm on it.

06-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matsui255 Quote
it's minimum focusing distance is listed as 55 inches

food for thought
06-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsui255 Quote
You probably were too close to the flower then the camera could not lock focus, because the distance was shorter than minimum focus distance of the lens . Without focus locked, the camera will not fire

Last edited by Ken T; 06-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
You probably were too close to the flower then the camera could not lock focus, because the distance was shorter than minimum focus distance of the lens . Without focus locked, the camera will not fire
Ohh ok got it thanks!!