Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-x in extreme weather

Hi all,

I'm new to the SLR world and K-x is my first one. AFAIK, the K-x, the 18-50mm kit lens, and my other two lenses: 21mm Ltd and DA 55-300mm are not weather resistant. How careful do I need to be if I were taking it to a trip in Alaska or on a boat ride near Niagara Falls? What sort of things do I need to take care to prevent any damage to the camera and lens? Any other advice?

Anything I need to do different in extreme hot conditions?

I was considering getting a water proof P&S for these kind of trips but I am hoping it's not necessary. Thanks.

06-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Keep it protected by a plastic bag or something simialr when there's any danger of it getting wet. People have ued non=sealed cameras around water for years. Use common sense and you'll be fine.
06-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mark is right on this one.
It's non sealed camera but it's not going to die with bit of a water on it.
As example, I have shot in light drizzle with K100D + DA18-55 on few occasions and it survived without any harm. I also use non sealed lenses on my K10D in rain and snow and it's all OK. As long as you are cerfull, and can judge when the rain is getting too hard for the combo to bear... etc, you should be fine!
06-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Instead of a plastic bag, a really good option is a shower cap. More durable and has an elastic opening. I've watched a National Geo photographer pull one out in a rainburst.

06-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

Along these same lines, does anyone know how the K-x reacts at higher altitudes or cooler temperatures? (I'm not talking Everest heights, here, but I'll probably be hiking Mt. Fuji sometime in the next year)
06-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I'm using a K-x down south on Marion Island (South Africa) at the moment. It's doing fine at temperatures of around zero Celsius using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. I hike around with it in rain, wind and snow and just carry it around my neck inside my weatherproof jacket.
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I can't speak for the K-x, but we got in the mountains (up to 14,000' - higher than Fuji) all time with our DSLR's. Can't imagine the K-x having any issues if the K100D and others don't.