Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it were me, I'd get the DA version. I really like the quick shift feature, which the DAL version is missing. Although the two lenses are optically identical, the difference in price over time is very small. Further, the DA version comes with a Pentax lens pouch and bayonet hood. Finally, should you decide to sell the lens later on, the DA version will maintain its value better, while the DAL will probably not.

07-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm a little late to the party but I would advise you to think about how much you really need a telephoto

I thought I desperately needed a telephoto for a long time, then I bought one and found that aside from when I unboxed it, I never touched it, literally.

Think about how many times you feel like the 55mm kit lens isn't enough. If you find that you aren't in dire need to get closer, then just go cheap and grab a Sigma or Tamron 70-300. It wont be the best image quality, but instead of buying the Pentax 55-300 you could use the money you saved to put towards a super wide angle or fast prime. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, because a telephoto will open up different photographic opportunities and might be worth it the rare times you need one.

That's what happened in my experience. I rarely deviate from the kit lens range, that's why I got a super wide and a fast prime instead of a nice telephoto.
07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I'm a little late to the party but I would advise you to think about how much you really need a telephoto

I thought I desperately needed a telephoto for a long time, then I bought one and found that aside from when I unboxed it, I never touched it, literally.

Think about how many times you feel like the 55mm kit lens isn't enough. If you find that you aren't in dire need to get closer, then just go cheap and grab a Sigma or Tamron 70-300. It wont be the best image quality, but instead of buying the Pentax 55-300 you could use the money you saved to put towards a super wide angle or fast prime. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, because a telephoto will open up different photographic opportunities and might be worth it the rare times you need one.

That's what happened in my experience. I rarely deviate from the kit lens range, that's why I got a super wide and a fast prime instead of a nice telephoto.
Best advice I've read yet in this thread. People, including me, love to spend other people's money. Determine a need THEN fill it. That is, If money for the toys is an issue.

07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Determine a need THEN fill it. That is, If money for the toys is an issue.
I've mentioned this before: For some years I depended on a spiffy Sony DSC-V1. When opportunity (and money) came for a dSLR, I asked myself: What do I want to do, that I can't do with what I have? The answers: Ultrawide, ultralong, and low light. Price and performance drove me to Pentax. So my basic kit are the DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4, that I bought with my K20D. I supplement those with a manual set: 16/2.8, 24/2, 85/2, 135/2.5, and 500/8. And other focal lengths for challenge. A mix of wide, medium, and long, fast, and slow. And most of those were pretty damn inexpensive.

If some don't feel a need for long teles, fine. If some want only a wide street lens, fine. I consider everything but the 1000/10 to be street lenses. On a recent long car trip, with 25+ lenses packed, I almost exclusively used the 18-240 (and Raynox DCR-250) and the 16/2.8, with occasionally a 28/2.8 and 85/2 and 200/5.6 (and macro tubes). Yeah, 200mm is a real street lens, great at picking up inaccessible details. Can't do that with 16-24-35-50-85, eh?

Yes, learn just what can be done with one's existing lenses; decide what can't be done with them; then check the budget to see if dreams and desires are really affordable.

07-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
If it were me, I'd get the DA version. I really like the quick shift feature, which the DAL version is missing. Although the two lenses are optically identical, the difference in price over time is very small. Further, the DA version comes with a Pentax lens pouch and bayonet hood. Finally, should you decide to sell the lens later on, the DA version will maintain its value better, while the DAL will probably not.
I agree. The savings isn't that much for the DA L version over the DA version, however there are plenty of times that you are trying to take a photo of a bird and the camera decides to focus on a nearby branch. Just a little tweak of the focus makes a huge difference.

It actually is something that frustrates me with FA lenses any more, because I am so used to being able to do that with my DA lenses.