Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New Lens for my first DSLR - Pentax KX

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

HI,

Im very new to DSLR photography, my father and granfather were both photographers and it was only a matter of time before i myself got into it. Well now its that time and I have bought myself a Pentax KX with 18-55mm Kit lens, the kit lens is good but im really looking for a telezoom lens. Iv looked into the DA 55-300mm and pentax DA 55-200mm. Im not looking to spend anymore than £200 but prefeerably less, is there any other options in the telezoom lens department apart from the two i have mentioned ? also looking at other kind of lens, especially wideangle lens.
Any opinions and ideas are welcome and i would be very grateful for any info posted.

Thanks

Andy

06-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 55-300 is considered to be an excellent lens on a price/quality ratio.
06-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax 50-200, Sigma 70-300 APO version and Tamron 70-300 are in the same image quality ballpark with minor discrepancies. The 55-300 is noticeably sharper, and an excellent value.
06-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys it has been really useful. Iv seen a used sigma lens on ebay, it seems like i good deal to me but iv added the link if anyone could let me know what they think also its buy it now but also allows offers, so if you could let me know what price is right for it.

Pentax AF K-fit 75-300mm f4.5 Lens Sigma For Kx KM Etc on eBay (end time 27-Jun-10 18:24:46 BST)

Again thank you for any help given

Andy

06-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by true_scotsman Quote
Thanks for the help guys it has been really useful. Iv seen a used sigma lens on ebay, it seems like i good deal to me but iv added the link if anyone could let me know what they think also its buy it now but also allows offers, so if you could let me know what price is right for it.

Pentax AF K-fit 75-300mm f4.5 Lens Sigma For Kx KM Etc on eBay (end time 27-Jun-10 18:24:46 BST)

Andy
I'm thinking you can get the Tamron for less.
06-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Andy
If you are going to get the Sigma, you probably want to get the later APO version. The Tamron is a nice lens too for most things..

Show Tamron - a set on Flickr

That said, the only reasons to go with the Tamron or Sigma over the Pentax 55-300 are price and close focus (on the T and S) 1:2 macro-ish.

06-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Forum Member

HI,

Im very new to DSLR photography...
Im not looking to spend anymore than £200 but prefeerably less, is there any other options in the telezoom lens department apart from the two i have mentioned ? also looking at other kind of lens, especially wideangle lens.
Any opinions and ideas are welcome and i would be very grateful for any info posted.

Thanks

Andy
Hi Andy,
i'm in the same situation, I'm buying a Kx and spent a week or two doing my lensresearch.
The concensus, w/o question, from everything I've read here and elsewhere - is that the Pentax DA 55 - 300 lens is an excellent lens and represents superb value.
I will be buying that lens w/ my camera when I order it later this week.
The only reason I haven't bought yet is I've been researching options for the shorter (?) end of the focal range. It looks like I will buy a 17 - 70 mm zoom to cover that, and that would be my walkabout lens.
However, I also do a lot of outdoor sports photography, that is where the 55-300 lens will come in.
Remember, one must multiply by a factor of 1.5 for this sensor size in order to compare w/ SLR film cameras... Thus a digital 18 - 55 represents ≈27 - 82; and the 55 - 300 becomes ≈ 82 - 450. That 450 focal length for my purposes will be very useful.
Good luck, and remember, penny wise , pound foolish (or is it Euro foolish these days).

06-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We have all been there.. I have lost count of the money I wasted in the beginning trying to buy good quality lenses for nothing .. I also have a drawer full of rubbish.

You came here and asked the question and got a fairly emphatic answer .. for the money the 55-300mm outshines everything in its class.

Go buy one
07-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Iv been looking at the Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Lens.

The first link is the lens as at the normal price and the second is a cheaper unboxed one, i was wondering what you guys think of the cheaper one?

Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Pentax SMC DAL 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Lens (Unboxed) - Only £159.99 - Park Cameras Online
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The second isn't cheaper just because it's unboxed - it's cheaper because it's the "DA L" version (no quickshift, no hood, plastic mount). But optically identical, so it can be a good way to cut the price more or less in half without sacrificing image quality (you'll want to add a hood, though).
07-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
what do you mean by no quick shift, also how much does a similar hood to that cost, would u go for that lr go for the slightly dearer one on amazon ?
07-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

what do you mean by no quick shift, also how much does a similar hood to that cost, would u go for that lr go for the slightly dearer one on amazon ?
The DA versions of the 18-55, 50-200, and 55-300 have the ability to quick shift, that is they have a clutch that disengages the auto focus motor when you start to manual focus. With the DA L version you have to switch the camera into MF mode or risk damaging the lens.

You can buy a knock off lens hood on eBay for around $13.50. Too lazy to convert that to pounds.
07-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry im new to this, so u mean that if i wanted to MF it i would have to switch to MF on the switch below the lens ? also it is AF aswell isnt it?
07-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

quick shift means that after the autofocus has achieved what it believes you want to focus on, you can fine-tune the focus by manually turning the focus ring without first switching the mf/af switch on the body from af to mf.
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I get you, so u think i shuld go for it then and save some money, if it wont hinder me to much?