Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For Europe, just get yourself disposable lithiums, unless you want to shlep a charger around Europe.

06-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #17

I have the K-x too.

I found that video will drain the batteries much faster than still photography. I have the Eneloops (actually Duracell re-badged Eneloops). There is a thread somewhere in this forum about rechargeable batteries which I can't find right now. Find that thread and read it. Anyway, I'm using what is widely considered as the best batteries and a highly recommended charger (MAHA C9000). My batteries are properly conditioned and I can take lots of photos between charges. Video, on the other hand, will eat your batteries like a child eats candies the day after Halloween.

Get lithiums. They last the longest.
06-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lithium it is!
Attached Images

06-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LudaDave Quote

I'm a little bummed cuz I just found out they won't allow photography in the Sistine Chapel (wtf, the church doesn't have enough money as it is?). I'm sure I will get a few shots somewhere at one of our stops.

Dave
Is it no photography or no FLASH photography? When I was there (OK, it WAS over 20 years ago) I got a bunch of pics. It was during the time they were restoring/cleaning the ceiling.

06-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Is it no photography or no FLASH photography? When I was there (OK, it WAS over 20 years ago) I got a bunch of pics. It was during the time they were restoring/cleaning the ceiling.
This is an excerpt from the Vatican website under "helpful hints"

Photography

Works of art and surroundings may be photographed. Permission must be given by the Management of the Museum for the use of tripods and other professional equipment.
It is forbidden to use flashlight photography inside the Museums.
No photography or filming is permitted in the Sistine Chapel. The surveillance is authorized to collect any kind of photography made inside the Sistine Chapel.

The way I understand it Japanese television station NHK funded the restoration in return for exclusive film and publication rights. Seems to be a common copyright practice in photography....while the original art can be in the public domain, taking a photograph of the art is considered "new & unique work" and subject to new intellectual property rights. Capitalism in action brother, I get it
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
For Europe, just get yourself disposable lithiums, unless you want to shlep a charger around Europe.
You make it sound like a charger is something bigger and harder to schlep than, say, a deck of playing cards. It isn't. A trip to Europe is expensive enough without throwing money away on disposable batteries!
06-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm a little bummed cuz I just found out they won't allow photography in the Sistine Chapel (wtf, the church doesn't have enough money as it is?).
No doubt because many point-and-shooters don't know how to turn off the flash, which ruins paintings.

But don't feel bad, the Winchester house tourist trap in San Jose, Calif., does not allow photos inside either - and charges $28 for the tour.

06-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You make it sound like a charger is something bigger and harder to schlep than, say, a deck of playing cards. It isn't. A trip to Europe is expensive enough without throwing money away on disposable batteries!
I look at it the other way:

It's a trip to Europe and I don't want to be worrying about charging batteries.

It's a personality thing. I KNOW it's nothing to plug in the charger at the hotel room, but I consider it a chore. And BTW:

Is it 110 over there?
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The countries I've been to were 220. Of course, one would tend to want to carry a converter around anyhow for hair dryers, electric razors, alarm clocks, laptops, etc.

Anyhow, two minutes out of the vacation spent charging batteries is easily worth the $50 or so (a nice dinner for two!) I'd save. Hmm, two minutes of work to earn $50 - I wish I could paid that well for my time *all* the time!
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #25

Original Poster
valid arguments on both sides I think, there's no wrong answer. We are actually going to be on a cruise ship (which I did not state earlier) stopping at various ports and wandering around cities for the day. So I think a charger is probably the best option w/ some lithiums on hand for backup. Since I will be learning this camera as well as how to shoot stills, there will be much "pwr on" time as I figure this all out.

thanks fellas! 2 more days and a wake up !!
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #26

Most chargers these days are dual voltage (just read the electrical info on the back of the device, should say 100-240V input or similar) so you just need to carry a plug adapter and not a heavy bulky voltage converter.
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #27

Original Poster
Picked up this charger and an 8pack of Lithiums at Target. Now I need someone to lend me a plasma torch so I can get it out of the packaging Yea, I'm taking pictures of EVERYTHING! 1 more day and a wake up!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't think you got the white balance quite right on the last shot, but the focus is good.
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Kx Kx Kx Kx......"hummmmmmmmmmm"

Thanks for all the feedback!! I really appreciate it. I will see how much I can master in the next 14 days and hopefully post some worthy photos in the days ahead.

I'm a little bummed cuz I just found out they won't allow photography in the Sistine Chapel (wtf, the church doesn't have enough money as it is?). I'm sure I will get a few shots somewhere at one of our stops.

cheers!

Dave
nice avatar

have fun with your new camera, after all, that's what it is for
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I don't think you got the white balance quite right on the last shot, but the focus is good.
Hey I did something right!!

How do you white balance for still shots?

In the world of video you have someone (and by someone I mean your buxom 21 yr old female "intern") hold up a white balance card and then you push the lil WB thingy and wala! 1 hour in post correcting the crappy color of the venue j/k (sort of)

Seriously though, in video I can see my adjustments in my LCD or field monitor as I make them. It seems with the Kx I have to adjust, snap a shot,check, correct, snap, check. I tried live view but small adjustments are hard to ascertain. Did I mention I'm new to the world of still photography?