Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You make it sound like a charger is something bigger and harder to schlep than, say, a deck of playing cards. It isn't. A trip to Europe is expensive enough without throwing money away on disposable batteries!
You would also have to schlep around converters for European outlets.

06-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

White balance-page 182 in the manual. You adjust it by the little WB button to the left of the OK button. Good picture of that is bottom of page 36 in the manual. (new K-X owner here, too. LOL!)
I learn/remember better when I write things down, so stuff that I come across in the manual and here on the forum, I make notes of in the manual. There are places at the end of the chapters and on the last page. I write small and use the back page so I don't have to thumb through the book in a hurry.
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

But note that manual WB is seldom necessary. In most conditions AWB works fine. Under tungsten lighting only, an adjustment might be necessary, but simply selecting the tungsten preset is usually fine. Or shoot RAW and don't ever worry bout setting WB again.
06-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter

A few lessons learned

... after having just returned from two weeks in Italy and Greece....

1. Your K-x with the 18-55 kit will work just fine. Most museums do not allow photos inside, so 90% of your photos will be outside in good daylight.

2. Take at least 4 sets of disposable batteries and always carry a set and spare SD card with you.

3. Consider taking a small Netbook computer. It will give you a safe place to store your images so you can reuse your SD cards. Also, in the evening, you can review your work and improve your skills as you go, make notes, check email, make reservations, send updates to friends, etc. I did not take one and regretted it.

4. In Pompeii... Don't miss the Villa of the Mysteries. It's a bit off the common tour path, but its wall paintings are superb and it is quiet.

5. In Athens... Don't miss the Archeological Museum. Awesome collection. Plus, hit the Acropolis early. Watch your step as the stepping stones have been worn smooth by countless other visitors and they are slick as grease. Plus, it's hot and dry, and becomes very crowded quickly.

6. Don't get obsessed with taking photos of everything. Enjoy the company of your companions.

06-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I don't know about the "most musuems do not allow photos inside". That certainly was not my experience in Italy - or France, or England, or the US (although I've never been to Greece). The only times photos are not allowed tend to be when there are special traveling exhibits and the museum does not own the rights to works. There are often restrictions on flash and on tripods, but seldom on photos for works in permanent collections.
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know about the "most musuems do not allow photos inside". That certainly was not my experience in Italy - or France, or England, or the US (although I've never been to Greece). The only times photos are not allowed tend to be when there are special traveling exhibits and the museum does not own the rights to works. There are often restrictions on flash and on tripods, but seldom on photos for works in permanent collections.
I thought the OP indicated he was only going to Italy and Greece. I was not aware he is also visiting the other places you mention.

All I can speak to is my recent delightful experience in Italy and Greece. Again, unless things have changed in the last few weeks, security is now a really big deal. He should expect most museums and some churches to prohibit all forms of photography. If he feels a need for a photo of an object from a collection, they will suggest he buy a post card photo of the object in the museum shop.

Cheers...
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Which museums in Italy now forbid photography? This must be a recent development. Wasn't the case just a few years ago.
07-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The Sistine Chapel forbids photography, although you can take your camera in. I got a few stealth photos I will post some photo's once I convert them.

07-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #39

Hi all,
I just bought a pentax K-X. So far I am very impress with the image quality. I am a noob in photography. I have only a 18-55mm lens from the kit, do you think is necessary to get a second zoom lens?
07-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by kohnicky Quote
Hi all,
I just bought a pentax K-X. So far I am very impress with the image quality. I am a noob in photography. I have only a 18-55mm lens from the kit, do you think is necessary to get a second zoom lens?

Not quite. Just get a feel for the lens itself. See what kind of pictures you like to take and then down the road make a decision on what type of lens you'd want to buy.

07-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kohnicky Quote
Hi all,
Hi kohnicky, and welcome to the forums. My suggestion is to play with the camera for at least a few weeks, or even better, a month or two. After that you'll know better what (if any) focal lenghts you are desiring. In the beginning the kit lens is plenty enough to get you going. When I first started with digital, I used the kit lens exclusively for about 2 months.

NaCl(make an informed decision on how you shoot---that takes a bit of time)H2O
07-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #42

hi all,
thanks for the comments. It is true, i need to master some of the basic before i decide which lens to buy.
07-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I would take two sets of Eneloops & grab a cheap, small charger once you get to Europe. You should be able to get one for €10 or so, which is what one set of four Lithiums will cost you over here. Charge the batteries overnight & you will never have power problems.

A cool thing about DSLRs is that, due to having far better high ISO performance than P&S cameras & fast lenses available, there is far less need to use flash. I have found that often people will not notice you taking photos if thereīs no flash. Live-view will make this even easier, especially with a tiltable screen, but Pentax donīt offer them.
07-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #44
Forum Member

I'm kind of giggling over here, imagining trying to be "stealthy" with my k-x in a museum. I can't imagine you could sneak a photo without anyone noticing the "c l - ACK!" of the shutter! Maybe the Sistine Chapel is a lot noiser than I imagine!
07-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LudaDave Quote
Ash - thanks for the welcome

SpecialK - I wish I could but droppin 400-600 bones on a lens isn't an option just yet. I figure I will learn the basics and see how creative I can get with the 18-55.

My next trip is to the library/bookstore. Anyone have any recommended/must reads on photography?
LudaDave, you might be back from your trip now, I couldn't quite figure out the timeline and I can't keep track of my own schedule nevermind a fellow forum member's.....

Anyway, for reading, I'd suggest "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a great book on the fundamentals of exposure and should boost your still photography creativity fairly quickly.

Also, get the Magic Lantern book for your camera (I think they make one for the K-x). Use it and the camera's own manual to fully learn and understand the camera itself, what each feature does, and how it works for you.

Hope the trip goes well and don't forget to post some photos for us to live vicariously through......