Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
My first ever DSLR...the Pentax Kx

After much research I have decided on the Pentax Kx as my first ever "serious" camera. I know it's not thee top of the line but I have only ever owned/used a point n shoot in the past. My wife and I travel allot now and I decided we need a decent camera to capture the moments. I also have a background in videography but not at the expensive interchangeable lens camcorder level. So the Kx will allow me to experiment shooting 720p with some different optics. I've seen some amazing results that folks have posted on Vimeo using the Fx.

Anyhoo, the camera should arrive tomorrow. I ordered the white body (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens) because I figure it will hold up in the direct sunlight a bit better, plus it's kinda cool - stormtrooper looking. I will be in europe next week visiting Rome, Greece, etc and will have a chance to capture some pretty extraordinary sites like Pompeii, The Vatican, Athens etc. I will be doing some heavy reading on the way over to bone up on still photography. One thing I lean towards on the videography side is manual mode, I stay away from almost anything that says "auto". Not sure if this translates the same in photography.

I'm open to and would appreciate any and all tips, tricks and feedback on general photography and the Pentax Fx. I will read up all I can but I have found over the years that hearing from folks directly on these forums is a huge advantage.

best regards,

David

06-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Dave.
You've come to the right place - the K-x has created quite a storm on this forum ever since its announcement. Have a browse through the forum for K-x related threads, but ultimately it will be your development of photographic skill that will bring out the best in your camera.

All the best in your journey and hope you stick around.
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

Some early advice is that the 18-55 is not really wide enough for confined areas (city streets). I recommend buying a Pentax 12-24 (or Sigma 10-20) for that vacation...
There might be a 12-24 left in the marketplace. You can always resell it for just about what you pay for it.
06-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ash - thanks for the welcome

SpecialK - I wish I could but droppin 400-600 bones on a lens isn't an option just yet. I figure I will learn the basics and see how creative I can get with the 18-55.

My next trip is to the library/bookstore. Anyone have any recommended/must reads on photography?

06-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ludadave Quote
after much research i have decided on the pentax kx as my first ever "serious" camera. I know it's not thee top of the line but i have only ever owned/used a point n shoot in the past. My wife and i travel allot now and i decided we need a decent camera to capture the moments. I also have a background in videography but not at the expensive interchangeable lens camcorder level. So the kx will allow me to experiment shooting 720p with some different optics. I've seen some amazing results that folks have posted on vimeo using the fx.

Anyhoo, the camera should arrive tomorrow. I ordered the white body (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 al lens) because i figure it will hold up in the direct sunlight a bit better, plus it's kinda cool - stormtrooper looking. I will be in europe next week visiting rome, greece, etc and will have a chance to capture some pretty extraordinary sites like pompeii, the vatican, athens etc. I will be doing some heavy reading on the way over to bone up on still photography. One thing i lean towards on the videography side is manual mode, i stay away from almost anything that says "auto". Not sure if this translates the same in photography.

I'm open to and would appreciate any and all tips, tricks and feedback on general photography and the pentax fx. I will read up all i can but i have found over the years that hearing from folks directly on these forums is a huge advantage.

Best regards,

david
is it tomorrow yet?

Mods--how come I can't do all caps? I need all caps to properly express myself.
06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LudaDave Quote

SpecialK - I wish I could but droppin 400-600 bones on a lens isn't an option just yet. I figure I will learn the basics and see how creative I can get with the 18-55.
OK, but don't say I did not advise you :-) You'll still get great shots.
06-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ira, I love the enthusiasm! and Yup!!! My Kx arrived at the doorstep 30 minutes ago, I've already fired it up and snapped a few photos. Now once I get over the initial excitement I will RTFM

SpecialK - thanks brother....I won't forget you told me "I told ya so"

Last edited by LudaDave; 06-22-2010 at 10:24 AM.
06-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #8

This book is an excellent starting place. Covers the basics very well.

You might also want to consider what program you are going to use to manage and manipulate all those photos you are going to be taking. (I prefer Aperture, but obviously not an option of you don't have a mac.)

A free Flickr account is also a good thing if you don't already have one, excellent source for peer review as is this forum.
06-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Ira, I love the enthusiasm! and Yup!!! My Fx arrived at the doorstep 30 minutes ago, I've already fired it up and snapped a few photos. Now once I get over the initial excitement I will RTFM

SpecialK - thanks brother....I won't forget you told me "I told ya so"
Kx

Have fun!!!
06-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmgabe Quote
This book is an excellent starting place. Covers the basics very well.

You might also want to consider what program you are going to use to manage and manipulate all those photos you are going to be taking. (I prefer Aperture, but obviously not an option of you don't have a mac.)

A free Flickr account is also a good thing if you don't already have one, excellent source for peer review as is this forum.

thnx! my primary is a macbook pro but I don't have aperture, I have photoshop CS4 for mac which is probably what I will use for any manipulation. iPhoto snagged the initial JPEG photos right up - easy transfer
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The kit lens gets good reviews, but I never fell in love with it. More like blah...

The nice thing is that it's so easy to pick up some good lenses. A cheap 50mm 2.0 is only 10-20$ and will outperform the kit lens at 50mm.
06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
my initial impressions R

- I'm gonna have to read the manual for this thing
- the feature set and controls available are pretty inspiring
- feels solid
- I like the white body
- not liking the eyepiece, would prefer something that wraps around my eye more and keeps all light out.

Any suggestions on the eye piece?
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

my initial impressions R

- I'm gonna have to read the manual for this thing
- the feature set and controls available are pretty inspiring
- feels solid
- I like the white body
- not liking the eyepiece, would prefer something that wraps around my eye more and keeps all light out.

Any suggestions on the eye piece?
I'm sure Pentax has a $30 eyecup for you.

B&H probably has a generic one, though.
06-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

my initial impressions R

1) I'm gonna have to read the manual for this thing

2) not liking the eyepiece, would prefer something that wraps around my eye more and keeps all light out.
1) Do it in small doses.

2) It's fact that it's difficult to see the indicators at the bottom of the viewfinder in sunlight, but you learn to live with it.

Is your vision okay? Make sure your diopter is set to neutral or for what you need.

Also remember that you're going to lose a little of the edges you see in the viewfinder, so if you're cropping something real tight, give it a little air there.
06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #15

Original Poster
Kx Kx Kx Kx......"hummmmmmmmmmm"

Thanks for all the feedback!! I really appreciate it. I will see how much I can master in the next 14 days and hopefully post some worthy photos in the days ahead.

I'm a little bummed cuz I just found out they won't allow photography in the Sistine Chapel (wtf, the church doesn't have enough money as it is?). I'm sure I will get a few shots somewhere at one of our stops.

cheers!

Dave