Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Third-Party/Off-Brand Flash Question

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have been unable to find an answer thus far....

I have just started looking around for a relatively inexpensive flash and I have noticed that when looking at third party flashes alot of them are labeled "for Pentax" or "for Canon" or "for Nikon" etc.... seems straight forward enough.. until I started to look on ebay at the cheap Chinese flashes that are labeled "for Canon/Nikon/Pentax" (or something to that effect)

So this got me wondering... is a third party flash "for Canon" or "for Nikon" compatible with a Pentax (or for that matter, would a Canon or Nikon flash be compatible?). If they would work, but with limitations, what would be sacrificed?

06-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some manufacturers make (and have made) flashes that can be used on multiple brands. They also make flashes For multiple brands. That is, you pick a brand name and then get the flash For Pentax. It's all about the pins on the flash shoe for the most part (there's more to it than that) and what features of the camera the flash can take advantage of.

What you want to find is one that is P-TTL compatible (the P is the operative part here). In all truth and honesty, I Personally would stay away from the cheapo Chinese units. Go with a Pentax branded P-TTL flash or one of the Metz or Sigma options. Do know however what you want to achieve with it and pick the unit to best accomplish it.

Edit: ANY flash that you can set the ISO and Aperture on, can be used on a Pentax camera. Stick to a modern one though as older units may use voltages that could fry your camera.