Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Moving up in the Pentax family...what should I get next?

Hi everyone

Currently I have:

Pentax istD*
Stock Pentax Lens (55 - 80 i think)
Quantaray brand Lens (100 - 300)
Quantaray Flash - the cheap one that use a bottom adapter to work with multiple camera type.

I am now looking to move up, but I have been out of the market for so long since the istD* day that I don't know what to get.

What would be the next logical step up? Is the Kx the new beginner camera?

Thanks

06-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi pk5.
The *ist D is a great little 6Mp camera - the most logical step up from it in my opinion is either the K-7 or K20D, according to your budget. The K-7 is similar to the *ist D in size and weight, but is a very responsive and versatile camera - you will notice the upgrade in every facet immediately. The K-x is also a great little camera as well - highly recommended, though it only has the one e-dial and a few less advanced features compared with the K-7 and K20D. I guess it depends on how far you'd want to take your photography.

Starting out, you may want to keep your existing lenses and flash and just enjoy the new camera, or invest in good glass and get better results. I'm assuming you have the kit 18-55 lens - if so, there are a number of logical upgrades to it, which have been discussed extensively on this forum - the Sigma 17-70, Pentax DA 16-45 (or even DA* 16-50), Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 are all significant improvements from the kit lens. Your Quantaray telezoom could also be upgraded to the highly regarded Pentax DA 55-300. As for flash, you'd do well with getting the Pentax AF540FGZ for total versatility, or if price is an issue consider the Sigma EF530 Super or Metz AF48.

All the best in your decision.
06-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-x is a bit more than a beginner's camera, though it has all the casual user features. The K7 is weather sealed and has a full range of manual controls. Both are capable of excellent image capture. Which you choose depends on how much manual shooting you do. The extra buttons and dials of the K7 make it better for a control freak like me. The K-x has most of the manual controls but is more likely to force you into the menu system to change settings.
06-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It definitely depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I think the lenses you buy are more important than the body and therefore would go with the Kx (that's what I have). With the ~$300 you save on the Kx over the K7 or K20D you can get a very nice lens to add to your collection. Like the 2 previous post stated, the Kx is a great entry-level camera where as the K7 is a semi-pro camera. If you think you will want to upgrade the Kx after a certain period of use then you should buy the K7 now. If you feel like photography is just a hobby and something you want to do for fun in your spare time, I would buy the Kx, stick with that and slowly upgrade your lens collection.

06-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Reckon I would take logical progression as the next step and go for either a K100D or K100D Super (Very similar feel to the *ist, but better) as the next one, should be able to get them secondhand with a low shot count on ebay.
I'm not going pro and like to figure somethings else for myself (although the camera can nut most things out for you anyway), so I am staying with the K100D .... it has shake reduction and takes AA batteries like the *istD, so you don't have worry about ever not having power or buying and carting around battery packs.
It takes all the K Mount lenses, is good to use manual lenses on and is very reliable.
You'd certainly be able to buy a couple of quality lenses with what you'd save on a K-X, have a look at some Sigma lenses as well, before paying premium prices for Pentax branded ones.
At the end of the day it depends on what you want to do I guess, but I'm biased as I'm happy with the K100D for what I do.
06-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by auspentax Quote
Reckon I would take logical progression as the next step and go for either a K100D or K100D Super (Very similar feel to the *ist, but better) as the next one, should be able to get them secondhand with a low shot count on ebay.
Eh, I don't think it's much of an upgrade to the K100D, which has the loudest shutter I've ever heard. A used K10D or K20D would be a noticeable improvement in features.
06-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all depends upon your budget. If you can afford it, I would suggest the K7 within a couple weeks after its replacement is announced probably in September. The K7 since it is very similar to your *istD - two wheels (front and back), and your transition should be pretty smooth to the new body.

If not the K7 then possibly the K20 - 2 wheels again, and then probably the Kx which has a single wheel. Another thought is that there will probably quite a few K7s and K20s coming on the market place with the K7 replacement, that could be had at a very good price.

I have had very good luck with my 18-55 version I on my K20. I remember reading that the original kit lens was not up to the higher resolution of the K20. I do still like my 16-45, but the kit lens shoots very well too. In terms of glass, it really depends on what type of photography suits you best.

I upgraded last year at the K7 announcement in the same fashion, and the K20 and I will be going forward until it wears out.