Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Resizing and distortion

I'm going nuts over this. I've got my K-X set as low as it will go to shoot-down to 2. I've got the quality set to good. I need my shots to be 800x800 in size to fit online.(I'm trying to sell of some extra agates I have and will never use.) I've got picasa and photoscape downloaded(resizing in paint.net) and can't figure out how to set the crop to get 800 in either one. I've never dealt with this before, because I'm usually too much of a rock hoarder to part with any of them. I've been resizing the shots and the stones are getting distorted in shape. Here's an example-before and after. Can somebody please explain how to set the crop to the size I need or a way to get rid of the distortion in the re-sizing. Thanks.

Attached Images

06-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The "after" photo is distorted because you did not preserve the aspect ratio in resizing.

The "before" photo is 3X2 (e.g. 900X600) and the "after" photo is 1X1 (e.g. 600X600). To prevent distortion, you have to keep the same ratio in resizing.

Depending what you want, you can use either way:

1. Leave the "before" photo as is, and resize it while preserving the aspect ratio. I've never used Picasa, but I think there should be a box you need to check in resizing. The result will be a photo with lesser resolution, but same aspect ratio (e.g. 600X400).

2. Crop the "before" photo to the ratio you want (e.g. crop from 900X600 to 600X600), then resize to the resolution you want (e.g. 400X400).
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SoldBear. I'll try that.
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
I'm going nuts over this. I've got my K-X set as low as it will go to shoot-down to 2.
Not that it really matters here, but what do you mean by this? I can think of a couple of dozen settings you could possibly be referring to (exposure compensation? aperture? sharpening?), but none that would really have anything to do with eventually cropping or resizing an image.

But basically, you need to think of cropping and resizing as two different acts (even if some programs happen to allow you to do both in the same dialog). Do the crop first to get the aspect ratio correct - 800x800 is 1:1, meaning a square, then resize it the result to the specific pixel dimensions you want. trying to "resize" a rectangle into a square will of course result in stretching it.

06-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I meant the recorded pixels are set to 2m. Sorry.( I was rushing to get this posted before a thunderstorm passed through.) I thought that would affect the image size. Am I wrong in thinking this? I was going for "smaller size-smaller file" less distortion.

Last edited by subeeds; 06-25-2010 at 05:00 PM.
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You're right - setting the recorded pixels to 2MP will result in fewer pixels recorded - but you'd probably still need to crop and resize. Not really any particular advantage in doing that versus cropping and resizing from the full size image.
06-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Irfan View, I understand a few other forum members do too. Small, lightweight, not difficult to use and fast.

It has a good crop option in the Edit menu, you can either select the area to crop, or use a specific size called Custom Crop, in the Edit menu. (create custom crop selection). Crop the picture to an even size, 1200x1200, 900x900, or whatever but make sure both are the same number of pixels, then use the resize/resample option to get the final size you want. The custom crop box has a field you can fill in to get the exact size you want.

I UNCHECK the box to keep the aspect ratio, since it sometimes comes out a few pixels off so I have to resize to 1024x768 and it will not keep that exact size unless I uncheck that box. It will come out something like 1027x763 or whatever, one direction or the other. This is because I work with 12MP images, and on the screen size image, it can't crop that close, so I fudge a little. I'm using 1024x768 usually, but it should work well for your 800x800 target size too. 12MP images come out really big, I can't remember the original size, but I have to crop to 3584x2688 (3.5 times the 1024x768 size I'm looking for) to get the largest image possible and still resize to 1024x768 and get no squishing effect like you're experiencing. The 12MP image is wider so 1024x768 either squishes or comes out 1024 wide and not as tall as 768, somewhere around 600 or 650 I think, can't remember.

At any rate, Irfan View works quite well, it's not difficult to use, and fast, so I like it pretty well and have used it for several years, currently using version 4.23 on here, 4.25 on my home computer. they also have a plugin to let it see the EXIF data. That works well too.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide is their website, it's not a big download.
06-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

You'll see a command like "Constrain Proportions" in some applications, so when you change the width, the height changes proportionately.

You don't check Constrain Proportions when you want to make someone a little skinnier!

06-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use picasa to do this and choose "export picture to folder" (Crtl+shift+s). You can choose the whole folder to export.
06-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I upload almost all my photos from Picasa but never notice any distortion. Sometimes the image quality goes down with the resizing. I always use the Export feature as Dragonfly just mentioned. The box that pops up will give you the resize options and image quality options which I always leave as automatic. I have never actually taken a picture of stones and a ruler so maybe I'm just not seeing it.
06-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the help everybody. Pete, thanks for the Irfan View link. I like what I checked out so far.
I was able to finally to figure out I needed to set the custom aspect ratio in picasa and that seems to have done the trick for now. Also, using the 2m setting helped.
Reeftool, I"m a closet rock hound and a bead weaver. Those two things make for a couple of powerful addictions-something along the lines of LBA. I will say that I will never, ever buy 3 pounds of agate nuggets again.
Thanks again for the help everybody. I appreciate it.