Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I really don't think you need any more than the manual to operate your camera. any further reading I recommend should be general photography books and not necessarily specific to your camera, as I believe that will serve you best.
when I started I read a couple of books for beginners, one was the National geographic photography field guide and the other was the 35mm handbook by Michael Langford (this one is really old). none of them dealt with digital photography but there's nothing special in it really, once you get the basics you'll catch up the rest as you shoot.

06-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 on the National Geographic Field Guide. I learned way more from it than from my camera manual. Not sure I ever really would have figured out what Av mode really was or what exposure compensation was without seeing it explained in plain English first. Between the National Geographic guide (a very old edition) and a book on DSLR's, I was pretty well set.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-30-2010 at 10:25 AM.
06-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdndave Quote
Hi

this is my first post here, I've been lurking here awhile

I bought Yvon Bourque's K-X ebook from his blog (Pentax e-books), I read it and thought it was a gentler version of the manual.

Dave
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see somebody with a fresh idea.

06-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 4ngi3 Quote
point taken.. i really need to RTFM.. but its just soo big!!
So just read the part you have the question about.. It's not the bible :-)

04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #20

hi im also using pentax kx and actualy this is the very first time to use a dslr camera.... how can i tried to set low the aperature but it can only do F5.6...... and i've read about the lense issues, im using 18-55mm lense so how can i know the lowest aperature can be done by this? i didnt see it in the manual

---------- Post added 04-28-14 at 06:00 PM ----------

hi im also using pentax kx and actualy this is the very first time to use a dslr camera.... i tried to set low the aperature but it can only do F5.6...... and i've read about the lense issues, im using 18-55mm lense so how can i know the lowest aperature can bmanuale done by this? i didnt see it in the manual
04-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by khaiza Quote
hi im also using pentax kx and actualy this is the very first time to use a dslr camera.... how can i tried to set low the aperature but it can only do F5.6...... and i've read about the lense issues, im using 18-55mm lense so how can i know the lowest aperature can be done by this? i didnt see it in the manual

hi im also using pentax kx and actualy this is the very first time to use a dslr camera.... i tried to set low the aperature but it can only do F5.6...... and i've read about the lense issues, im using 18-55mm lense so how can i know the lowest aperature can bmanuale done by this? i didnt see it in the manual
At 55mm, the fastest aperture is F5.6. At 18mm you'll be able to select F3.5. Between 18 and 55 you'll be in the F4-4.5 range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #22

ah so it means, if i have to set my lens into 18mm, i need to get close to my subject? i tried to shots (18mm and 55mm) am i do it right? thank you so much and sorry im really not good in taking picture this only my 3rd day having my camera
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

ah so it means, if i have to set my lens into 18mm, i need to get close to my subject? i tried to shots (18mm and 55mm) am i do it right? thank you so much and sorry im really not good in taking picture this only my 3rd day having my camera
yes- 18mm is less zoomed in, while 55mm is more zoomed in. The bigger the number, the more the lens magnifies, essentially.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #24

ahhhhhhhhhhh now i learned that thing thank you so much sir more power
04-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #25
rfg

hi im also using pentax kx and actualy this is the very first time to use a dslr camera....
I second the recommendation above for Yvon Bourque's k-x ebook. As well as the camera it covers a lot of photography basics.
Here's the link: Pentax K-x & K-r e-book