Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

how to change aperture on Kx?

Hi just got a pentax kx and ive read that if you want blurred backgrounds in your photos to set your apertureto around 2.8 but I have no idea how to do this. I know that aperture is how much light you let in and you need less light outdoors and more light indoors but how do i set the aperturein the kx?

Thanks

06-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 4ngi3 Quote
Hi just got a pentax kx and ive read that if you want blurred backgrounds in your photos to set your apertureto around 2.8 but I have no idea how to do this. I know that aperture is how much light you let in and you need less light outdoors and more light indoors but how do i set the aperturein the kx?

Thanks
You need to set the control dial to AV or M then using the wheel located on the right hand side you can change the aperture assuming your lens has electrical contact with the K-x body.
06-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the reply.. ok so i'm really new to this so don't think i'm really stupid.. but which one is the aperturesetting? is it the number with the " at the end or the one with the F infront of it?
06-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

thanks for the reply.. ok so i'm really new to this so don't think i'm really stupid.. but which one is the aperturesetting? is it the number with the " at the end or the one with the F infront of it?
the F is what you want, the one with the " in front is the shutter speed measured in second. Don't you read your user manual? Try to download the digital version if you don't have the original one.

06-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
point taken.. i really need to RTFM.. but its just soo big!!
06-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
point taken.. i really need to RTFM.. but its just soo big!!
I think you would probably benefit more from reading one of the books such as "Understanding Exposure" prior to reading the manual.
06-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came across this site and thought that it would help beginners....This is not a substitute for reading the manual or the excellent suggestion to try the book such as "Understanding Exposure", but a supplement in terms of getting the basic ideas across. If you look closely - it even shows a bit of motion blur and depth of field change with f/stop and shutter speed.

have fun!!

06-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great thanks for that I have just reserved the book at my library

also i will take a look at the website link, thanks
06-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd also suggest a basic book on using a camera. Pretty much all cameras are the same in terms of things like having P, Av, and M modes, having JPEG and RAW, different settings to control different aspects of the image, etc. Understanding Exposure will give you a good idea of how exposure works, but not necessarily the details of how to control your camera in other respects. Just visit the libraryor bookstore and get any book that says DSLR in the title and it should answer most question you'd have.
06-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a new KX user too. When I first saw the manual I was a bit overwhelmed. Read the first part-where it explains where everything is. Then, read it as you want to know stuff. For instance, you want to know about setting the aperture-find the pages in the index and go read that. I find that by breaking the manual reading down to what I want to know at that point in time makes it easier to remember that particular step. Taking practice shots helps me, too. Last week, I took the camera and manual out to my back porch. Decided to take some shots of the ceiling fan while it was on to check out stopping motion in shots. Used the manual to set it up. I still had a couple of questions that weren't in the manual, so I asked them here. Take the camera and play with it to get used to using it. I've got 11 "test shot" files on my laptop now. I can look at what I've shot and with the EXIF data, I can see what worked and what didn't.
06-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also need a lens that will DO f2.8 (or faster).. If you just have the kit lens, the best you can do is f3.5 (if I remember correctly). In the case of f2.8 and faster lenses, you are tending to get pretty expensive. You asked in another thread about the FA50 f1:1.4, that would be an example of a faster lens capable of very shallow depth of field.

06-27-2010, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

not to be a jackass, but maybe you should read the fricking manual?
06-28-2010, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
not to be a jackass, but maybe you should read the fricking manual?
Also not to be a jackass, but maybe if you would read the fricking thread you would notice that such advice has already been tendered and acknowledged. (And as this is the Beginner's Corner, we try to exhibit a bit more kindness and tact in our replies here than elsewhere on the Forum. Hint, hint, hint.)
06-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Also not to be a jackass, but maybe if you would read the fricking thread you would notice that such advice has already been tendered and acknowledged. (And as this is the Beginner's Corner, we try to exhibit a bit more kindness and tact in our replies here than elsewhere on the Forum. Hint, hint, hint.)
Thanks for your feedback Mike, I'll give it the attention it deserves for sure!
06-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #15

Yvon Bourque

Hi

this is my first post here, I've been lurking here awhile

I bought Yvon Bourque's K-X ebook from his blog (Pentax e-books), I read it and thought it was a gentler version of the manual.

Dave