Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #16

As others have said, it will work on the K-X with AF and flash. I use that lens all the time, and I simply love it! I think it's great for portraits, etc., and have used it myself on various subjects (like kids). You're right though, it can be a little tight indoors, but outside it doesn't matter of course.

07-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For all-around versatility, I really like the DA 16-45 zoom. Wide open, it shows a bit of barrel distortion, but you can use it in a small room. Zoomed to 45mm it's quite sharp in my experience.

I'd think the advantages of the zoom outweigh those of a prime if you're trying to keep up with kids' activities. Portrait, yeah, dig out the 50mm!
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I never got along with the 50mm focal length on APS-C cameras like the K-x. It's just a little too long for indoor shots. If your taking a picture, for example, across a table, you'll end up with a tight head shot.

For me, the DA40 F2.8 Limited is a more useful focal length. Plus it's tiny and reputed to be one of the fastest focusing lenses Pentax has. I wouldn't worry about the F1.4 vs F2.8 with your K-x, since you can easily boost the ISO to 3200 with that camera - suitable for all but the darkest situations, i.e., dinner by candlelight.

A sample from my great nephew's 2nd birthday:
What a lovely photo. Beautiful expressions on the children in the background and I love that the mom is tucked behind showing him to blow the candles out. Great timing!
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A rare instance where I suggest something other than a Takumar, but you might want to consider either the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Either would serve you well. You would just need to consider whether you prefer something on the wide side or a tad bit on the telephoto side.

07-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
A rare instance where I suggest something other than a Takumar, but you might want to consider either the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Either would serve you well. You would just need to consider whether you prefer something on the wide side or a tad bit on the telephoto side.
+1 to the 17-50 with a bounce flash as well. Because really, only a good flash can stop fast moving kid action in moderate light.
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Primes are terrific lenses but I'd opt for a zoom. I've been shooting with a combo of a 50 mm and a 100 mm, switching back and forth. I've missed some great shots when they happen in between lenses. I also spend a lot of time going forward and back to get the right framing. This is indoors and these are the fastest lenses I have.

I'm looking at either the Tamron or Sigma 28-70(75) 2.8. That extra length over a 50 is really helpful for getting closer to faces. Anything wider than about 25-30 mm and you start getting some distorted faces. I'm not counting the 1.5 factor here as it really doesn't change the angle of view, just the magnification.
07-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
In the future, please don't start two different threads onthe same topic. I'm leaving this alone because there *are* two different questions: 1) does it fit (yes), and 2) is it appropriate for shooting kids.
It always gives you something to talk about though Marc?

Tamron 17-50/2.8 should be fast enough & if that doesn't cut it, Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Although, I would consider something wide to be vital.

07-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by iocchelli Quote
What a lovely photo. Beautiful expressions on the children in the background and I love that the mom is tucked behind showing him to blow the candles out. Great timing!
Ditto!

This is one for the full page magazine ad!

Which is why shooting landscape can kill you at times.
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Personally, for kids, I`d go with this one:
Why do I all of a sudden want to mount a scope to my camera?

I could make it clip in to the hotshoe