Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Will this lens fit my kx?

I'm thinking of buying this used lens..

SMC PENTAX–FA 1:1.4 50mm PRIME LENS FOR PENTAX DSLR

Can anyone confirm if it will fit and work with AF, flash etc on my Pentax Kx?

Thanks

Last edited by 4ngi3; 06-27-2010 at 02:01 AM.
06-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes it will.
06-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

shooting kids ain't all that easy, depends on how old the kids are, you might want a longer lens possibly around 200mm or a little more if the kids are younger... you want to stay as far as possible, otherwise the kids would not respond
06-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, for kids, I`d go with this one:

06-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
omg i've never even seen a lens like that, looks bloody expensive tho! is it?
06-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
veery funny. Some forget they were kids once too
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was thinking the same thing but just not brave enough to say it

06-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 4ngi3 Quote
omg i've never even seen a lens like that, looks bloody expensive tho! is it?

Personally, I prefer these to slow the kiddos down a bit....
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In the future, please don't start two different threads onthe same topic. I'm leaving this alone because there *are* two different questions: 1) does it fit (yes), and 2) is it appropriate for shooting kids.

Any lens can shoot anything. It all depends on what kind of pcitures of that subejct you want. do you have a zoom lens that includes 50mm Use that set to 50mm for a while to set how that feels to you. Many would say it's too long - requires you to be too far away, or frames the subject too closely when at a comfortable distance. But others really like that focal length for this purpose. That's something only you can ecide. Assuming you find you do like that focal length for this purpose, and have reason to want a prime as opposed to simply using your zoom (eg, larger maximum aperture), sure, that's the only relatively inexpensive AF prime in that range, so it becomes the obvious choice. Personally, though, I pick the DA40 as being a more useful (to me) focal length.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-27-2010 at 10:32 AM.
06-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks
It will fit. Just don't expect to shoot kids at f1.4 - unless they're sleeping.
06-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
In the future, please don't start two different threads onthe same topic. I'm leaving this alone because there *are* two different questions: 1) does it fit (yes), and 2) is it appropriate for shooting kids.
Hey sorry that was my bad, i started the topic about shooting kids then did some research online and found that lens would be great for portrait shots then tried to change the original post but for some reason it wouldn't show the new topic subject in the main forum part so i posted another question and accidently forgot about the initial one. haha a litle long winded but thats my explaination that i didn't do it on purpose
06-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would just comment that for taking photos of kids on the move, an external flash is really nice. You are unlikely to be able to use the FA 50 at an aperture wider than about f2.8, because most of your kid will be out focus (due to narrow depth of field). On the other hand, flash is really good to freeze action when you run out of light (already shooting at iso 3200 and f2.8). The DA 40 is a little wider and auto focuses a little faster so you might consider that as Marc said.
06-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, this was my main lens on my film camera for shooting my kids... And this roughly translate to a 35mm lens on the Kx, so, it all depends on how you want to shoot and your kids' reaction to you and your camera...
Now, regarding aperture, I even shot my kids using a 55/1.2 wide open, and these were some of the most georgous pics I have of them. Yeah, I've got some blurry pics, but you learn fast with digital!

My kids are now so completely oblivious to me and my camera, I can be practically stepping on them before they react to me...
A short focal length usually means a more intimate style, you're literally "in there" with your kids while they are playing.
A longer focal length lends a more distant feeling (less participation/more observation).
06-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #14

While waiting for my m42 adapter to fit my wife's old 55mm 1.4 lens, I noticed most of the shots of our 13mo daughter were at 40-55mm with the 18-55 kit lens, so I knew the 55 would be a good fit. It is a little long at times indoors, but perfect outdoors, IMO. 90% of the time, it's used at 2.8 or smaller. The little one is now 18mo and I'm wanting AF!
06-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks
I never got along with the 50mm focal length on APS-C cameras like the K-x. It's just a little too long for indoor shots. If your taking a picture, for example, across a table, you'll end up with a tight head shot.

For me, the DA40 F2.8 Limited is a more useful focal length. Plus it's tiny and reputed to be one of the fastest focusing lenses Pentax has. I wouldn't worry about the F1.4 vs F2.8 with your K-x, since you can easily boost the ISO to 3200 with that camera - suitable for all but the darkest situations, i.e., dinner by candlelight.

A sample from my great nephew's 2nd birthday: