Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

K 200 question

have i missed something or is all close up & zooming done with lenses. we have a pentax mini camera that zooms, splits frames, etc & all for $90.00. i managed to forget to take my K 200 on a trip to lafayette,la recently & the cheapie did a credible job. got close ups of a carpenter bee on a water lily, shots of gators & herons & comerans. hate to say it but the larger K 200 was not much missed.

06-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #2

Im not sure what the "question" here was, but at least for me "credible" is not enough, i wont incredible If i want just basic shots, i can take my w90 with me and in good lighting i probably cant see a difference between the pictures taken with the two cameras. But, whenever i need to use flash, or the surroundings are not well lit and i need to increase iso speed or i need fast focus or i need large apertures or ANY number of reasons, i take a dslr with me.

It does come down to what you need your camera to do for you. If you are happy with regular snapshots, then it may well be that you need no dslr at all.
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not completely ubnderstanding the question either. On any DSLR, yes, the lens is the main determinant of what youcan do. You don't say wha lenses you have, but the 18-55 that coems with the camera does zoom. It's a 3X zoom to use the rather vague/misleading P&S mthod of rating lenses. If you want to "zoom" further, you need a lens with a longer focal length, like the 50-200 or 55-300. For closeup photography, again, the 18-55 does OK, but if you need to focus closer still, there are special lenses for that, called "macro" lenses.

A P&S camera has a lens that tries to do lots of things in a "credible" way. A DSLR will typically need several different lenses to do the same - but the flexibility and results obtained can be ona much higher level.

I'm moving this to the Beginner's forum, since it seems more appropriate there.