Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #16

Usually just use Av mode with spot metering making heavy use of the AE-L button, always M when using flash gun.

07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #17

likey likey

M and Av
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P for most situations, M for moon or lightning usually works.
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
REM
Forum Member

Mostly M, and a little Av/Tv when i first got the camera or get a little lazy.

07-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TAv for wildlife and sports and M for studio work, and for some of my outdoor flash work, and a bit of hyper program when i'm in my lazier moods.
07-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I shoot primarily in M mode. If I'm bracketing shots for exposure blending I use Av mode. In tricky lighting I use Tav mode.
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm surprised by the number of people that shoot primarily in M. You guys must have better instincts than I do. I could get away with it with landscapes, still shots, or studio work, but shooting M at events or of moving subjects would be out of my reach.

07-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
As I use Takumar lenses almost exclusively, practically everything I shoot is in Av mode. In some special circumstances I use M mode. Everything else is a mystery and baffles the hell out of me.
Haha nice, yeah I was baffled when I saw the "sensitivity" mode on my K-7. I still can't think of a time when I'd want to use that!
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm surprised by the number of people that shoot primarily in M. You guys must have better instincts than I do. I could get away with it with landscapes, still shots, or studio work, but shooting M at events or of moving subjects would be out of my reach.
It's all about the physics of light. You can actually teach your brain to be a light meter. Here's a great resource for you:

Ultimate Exposure Computer

I won't claim to have mastered the ability to read light perfectly, but it has taught me to think about what I am doing rather than rely 100% on the camera.
07-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'm surprised by the number of people that shoot primarily in M. You guys must have better instincts than I do.
You don't need instincts. All you need is the Green button to set exposure for you when you notice the light has changed.

QuoteQuote:
I could get away with it with landscapes, still shots, or studio work, but shooting M at events or of moving subjects would be out of my reach.
Actually, "events" tend to be some of the best subjects for M mode, because they often epitomize all that is wrong with the other modes: exposures that vary all over the map according to what color clothes people are wearing, what color the background is, how much of the background you have in the shot compared to the main subject, etc. Unless the lighting is changing rapidly at the event (depends on the type of event, I guess), M mode is perfect: set the exposure at the start with the Green button while pointing somewhere neutral, adjust as necessary after taking a test shot or two, then leave the exposure alone for the rest of the night.
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't used anything but M since I got my K10D 3 1/2 years ago now. It was my first ever DSLR and I figured I was going to learn to use it in M and nothing else, no exceptions and I made myself learn. Took a while, but I love the control I have. I use it in M for everything, portraits and my kids sports. I've had many people ask me to teach them to use their DSLR's and I always recommend they do the same, start in M and learn how to use it that way.
07-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Actually, "events" tend to be some of the best subjects for M mode, because they often epitomize all that is wrong with the other modes: exposures that vary all over the map according to what color clothes people are wearing, what color the background is, how much of the background you have in the shot compared to the main subject, etc. Unless the lighting is changing rapidly at the event (depends on the type of event, I guess), M mode is perfect: set the exposure at the start with the Green button while pointing somewhere neutral, adjust as necessary after taking a test shot or two, then leave the exposure alone for the rest of the night.
This is very, very true. A lot of people feel the need to meter for every single shot, but if the light remains fairly constant, there's no need to in M.
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

P for snapshots
Av for serious work
Av for M42 lenses
M with green button for non-A K-mount lenses

TAv very rarely when needed...

Steve