Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just would like to add that if you want one camera to last a long while, the K-7 is a no brainer with its free 3 year warranty.

06-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be the K-7 dissenter here and say that, the unrelenting march of technology aside, the K-x has as much a chance of lasting 20 years as the K-7 does. Why? Besides the mirror and shutter, the rest of it is solid state - no moving part. And if the number of 20+ year-old working K1000s and Spotmatics are any indication, the moving parts will last as well as long as they aren't abused.

Some data points to consider:
I've got a 12 year-old Kodak camera (DC260) that still works, no problems. Thousands of photos taken. Image quality is a bad as the day I bought it LOL!

I had a Ricoh GX100 that lived two hard years hanging off the end of motorcycles. I took close to 22,000 shots with that thing (thanks to its intervalometer) before it was stolen.

I bought a Nikon D70 in 2004. 20,000 photos later and it's still going strong. It too led a hard life riding shotgun on a number of different motorcycles and scooters. I've dropped it and subjected it to thousands of miles on bikes that could have vibrated it to death. Dirt roads in the Philippines. Dirt bikes in the California desert. In the Alps. Down to 40 degrees below zero. No problems.

I bought a Pentax K20d around this time last year. 24,000 shots and counting. I take it on the motorcycle, throw it in a backpack and go hiking, even go trail-running with it. Not a hiccup.

By all accounts the K-7 is a solid piece of kit. But based on my experiences, I fully expect my wife's K-x to last as long as my other cameras.
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go with a Kx because with the money you save you can put towards some very nice limiteds or * lenses. In my opinion lenses have more of an effect on IQ than the body does (comparing the Kx to the K7). So if you decide to buy a Kx and buy very good pentax glass I'm positive you will love the results and will not have buyers remorse about "should have bought" the K7 but if WR is important to you, if you plan on going to wet, dirt filled places or live in one then the K7 is the way to go.
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I would go with a Kx because with the money you save you can put towards some very nice limiteds or * lenses. In my opinion lenses have more of an effect on IQ than the body does ... if you plan on going to wet, dirt filled places or live in one then the K7 is the way to go.
Back in the days when there was a great difference in the price between the two I would agree, but the K7 trumps the Kx on so many levels way beyond WR. Do you shoot in doors? Then the K7 is the way to go. The Kx is obnoxiously LOUD and will attract attention whereas the K7 is so much more discreet, you'll feel like a sniper hiding in the bush. Do you want to unmistakably nail your composition 100% every time? Then the K7 is the way to go. There's no guesswork with the K7s big bright big VF that lets you see everything to be captured by the sensor. There are many other very practical reasons to pick the K7 over the Kx that will have a direct impact on both the image quality and experience of taking the shot. That's a quick honest assessment from someone who owns both cameras.

07-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'll be the K-7 dissenter here and say that, the unrelenting march of technology aside, the K-x has as much a chance of lasting 20 years as the K-7 does. Why? Besides the mirror and shutter, the rest of it is solid state - no moving part. And if the number of 20+ year-old working K1000s and Spotmatics are any indication, the moving parts will last as well as long as they aren't abused.

Some data points to consider:
I've got a 12 year-old Kodak camera (DC260) that still works, no problems. Thousands of photos taken. Image quality is a bad as the day I bought it LOL!

I had a Ricoh GX100 that lived two hard years hanging off the end of motorcycles. I took close to 22,000 shots with that thing (thanks to its intervalometer) before it was stolen.

I bought a Nikon D70 in 2004. 20,000 photos later and it's still going strong. It too led a hard life riding shotgun on a number of different motorcycles and scooters. I've dropped it and subjected it to thousands of miles on bikes that could have vibrated it to death. Dirt roads in the Philippines. Dirt bikes in the California desert. In the Alps. Down to 40 degrees below zero. No problems.

I bought a Pentax K20d around this time last year. 24,000 shots and counting. I take it on the motorcycle, throw it in a backpack and go hiking, even go trail-running with it. Not a hiccup.

By all accounts the K-7 is a solid piece of kit. But based on my experiences, I fully expect my wife's K-x to last as long as my other cameras.

I agree with everything you have said here. Although I still think the K-7 is the way to go here. Granted I am sure the OP will never do to it as much as you have done to your cameras!

The only part I slightly disagree with here is that the K-x can take a drop and the fiber shell could crack open nicely... and granted the seams could open up even if it didnt crack. HOWEVER, the K-x does have a very nice stainless steel chassis just like the K-7 (I don't know if one is stronger than the other), so a lot of the damage to the K-x could just end up being cosmetic. One thing about the old stuff you mentioned... well people just don't make them like they used to... most people would agree that what was made many years ago was built much better than today's money saving designs.

The three year warranty on the K-7 is also a nice thing.
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The camera body is only part of the equation. I've often read the sage advice on this forum that it is better to put one's money into good lenses than into the next latest greatest dslr body to be had. I started out with the K10D because I really hate those cameras with program modes that have the little pictures to tell you what each mode is good for. I also really liked the LCD screen on the top of the camera, which made adjusting my exposure settings much easier. I did not see much reason to upgrade to the K20D when it was introduced. I bought a better lens instead. Other than Pentax offering a full frame body at some point, I can't find any reason to upgrade from my current K-7. The 14 mega pixels it offers is more than sufficient resolution capability for this amature photographer. For durability over the long term, I would recommend the K-7. It is a beautiful and durable camera, which if treated well will last a long time and will not be quickly outgrown.

I think it is very easy to get caught up in the newest and latest body. lens, etc.. If you would like some pictures for thought (so to speak) on the relative merits of different camera bodies and lenses, I would recommend going to the Pentax Imaging website and spend some time looking at pictures in their picture gallery. There are some amazing pictures taken with 6 mega pixel cameras and/or with lenses that have been denigrated in the lens review database here on the forum. Over-focusing on the equipment aspect can eclipse the the role the eye and mind behind the camera plays in creating beautiful photographs. Get the best equipment you can afford and enjoy capturing what your mind and eyes see!
07-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
The camera body is only part of the equation. I've often read the sage advice on this forum that it is better to put one's money into good lenses than into the next latest greatest dslr body to be had. I started out with the K10D because I really hate those cameras with program modes that have the little pictures to tell you what each mode is good for. I also really liked the LCD screen on the top of the camera, which made adjusting my exposure settings much easier. I did not see much reason to upgrade to the K20D when it was introduced. I bought a better lens instead. Other than Pentax offering a full frame body at some point, I can't find any reason to upgrade from my current K-7. The 14 mega pixels it offers is more than sufficient resolution capability for this amature photographer. For durability over the long term, I would recommend the K-7. It is a beautiful and durable camera, which if treated well will last a long time and will not be quickly outgrown.

I think it is very easy to get caught up in the newest and latest body. lens, etc.. If you would like some pictures for thought (so to speak) on the relative merits of different camera bodies and lenses, I would recommend going to the Pentax Imaging website and spend some time looking at pictures in their picture gallery. There are some amazing pictures taken with 6 mega pixel cameras and/or with lenses that have been denigrated in the lens review database here on the forum. Over-focusing on the equipment aspect can eclipse the the role the eye and mind behind the camera plays in creating beautiful photographs. Get the best equipment you can afford and enjoy capturing what your mind and eyes see!
True. Well put.
07-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I can't find any reason to upgrade from my current K-7.
Famous last words. Wait until you see the K-8.

I'm a long-time film shooter who put his toe in the digital waters ten years ago. I'm now up to four DSLR bodies, and that does not include a K-7. The digital train never stops.