Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Help me please

Hello all and thanks in advance for anyones help

i was out taking pictures of a wedding came back home and stored 800 pictures to my laptop from my pentax k200 i was able to even send a couple examples of the pics to the couple from the picture folder, but one day later i come back home want to create a cd for the couple and cant open the pictures any more i see that the pics are there and i see the sizes all between 4mb and 5mb but when i attempt to open i am told that the pictures are either in use or i am not authorized to access or even veiw not available all pictures are in jpeg data of course the sd has been formated and i have taken further pictures so i havnt been able to recover them from the card again can any one out there possibly help me out there how i can open these pictures again data name reads for axample as follows IGP1210.jpg i also cannot move this data any where nor rename it if any one out there has a suggestion i would be really appreciative

Thanks in advance

Fullerhf

06-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fullerhf Quote

i was out taking pictures of a wedding came back home and stored 800 pictures to my laptop from my pentax k200 i was able to even send a couple examples of the pics to the couple from the picture folder, but one day later i come back home want to create a cd for the couple and cant open the pictures any more i see that the pics are there and i see the sizes all between 4mb and 5mb but when i attempt to open i am told that the pictures are either in use or i am not authorized to access or even veiw not available all pictures are in jpeg data of course the sd has been formated and i have taken further pictures so i havnt been able to recover them from the card again can any one out there possibly help me out there how i can open these pictures again data name reads for axample as follows IGP1210.jpg i also cannot move this data any where nor rename it if any one out there has a suggestion i would be really appreciative

Thanks in advance

Fullerhf
restart the computer and make sure to log in to an administrator account
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you've rebooted, report back. Don't open any other software. Just check the files first.
06-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
rkt

Have you been using any software to work on those photos? At times, even if you 'close' the program, it keeps running in the memory and this could be 'locking' your files.

You can try ...

- to go to the 'Task Manager' (7th option in the list of options when you right-click on the Task Bar ... or press Ctrl + Alt + Del ... on Win XP Home atleast) ...
- in it, check the tab labelled "Processes" and see if you can spot the application you were using (and tried to close) ...
- if you find that application listed under the column "Image Name" ... then right-click on it and select 'End Process' ...

Note: under 'Image Name' you will see several items listed ... do not randomly 'kill' something there since many of the applications are essential Win applications and processes ... you need to look for entries based on the application you may have been using, e.g. lightroom.exe or photoshop.exe ...

At times, Windows Explorer itself acts funny ... so as a last resort you could try and 'end' explorer.exe ... and then while in 'Task Manager' go to 'File' -> 'New Task (Run)' ... and enter explorer.exe and click 'ok' ... this will initiate a new Windows Explorer session ... and may free up the folder with the pics inside ...

If you re-boot the machine, it should automatically 'offload' any non-essential applications from the memory and initiate a fresh explorer session ... and may be the simplest option ...

Do tell if any of these helps solve the problem ...

06-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fullerhf Quote

Thanks in advance

Fullerhf
which computer, which OS? (welches Betriebssystem?)
Your images are still there, this is a simple authorization problem. In Mac OS X you should run a "repair permissions" clean-up, if a simple restart won't solve the problem.
Another option, which I probably would try before a repair permissions run is a complete reset of all the cache files.

Anyway, after a restart do one thing first: copy all the files to another harddrive and leave that alone!

Please report back here, after Restart/Reset/Repair Permissions, whether that worked or not. And if you are on a Windows machine, ignore my suggestions.

Ben