Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A Nice Problem To Have? Tamron Lenses on the K-x and K-7

Apart from my brief appearance in the "introduce yourself" part of the forum, this is my first post ... so please be patient and generous with your advice

My situation is this: I've recently inherited a Pentax MZ-7 SLR, complete with 2 Tamron AF lenses (the SP 24-135mm and the LD 70-300mm). Although from reviews it seems like the MZ-7 is an excellent camera, I know that in order to ensure that I take photos on a consistent basis, I'll be wanting a DSLR. For this reason, and given that I'm a complete novice in digital photography (and pretty much in photography generally, if I'm honest), I'm thinking of getting the K-x, although at a push I suppose that I could stretch my budget to the K-7. Any advice on which I should opt for, given that I'm a rank beginner, allbeit one who hopes to turn photography into a genuine hobby?

Judging by online reviews, it seems that I've been lucky with the two Tamron lenses that have fallen into my lap. However, I have two questions: 1) will these lenses work seemlessly with the K-x or K-7, and 2) if so, does that mean that I only need to purchase a camera body, and that I can safely bypass any of the lens kits on offer, or should I still buy a lens with the camera, and have the Tamron lenses as back-ups or add-ons?

Decisions, decisions ... and thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer to help me make the right ones.

Last edited by bluegeordie; 06-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether you are a beginner or not, the K7 is a damn fine camera and yes, your PK/A mount Tamron lenses will work just fine. As to not getting the kit lens, it's a few more dollars and is weather resistant so if you are going for the K7, I'd highly recommend getting it. It's actually a decent lens.

06-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I would agree with JeffJS on the K-7. It is a nice camera and the prices are now a very reasonable.

Your two lenses are listed in the Forum's lens data base:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tamron 75-300mm, 1:4-5.6, LD Lens Reviews
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical [IF] Lens Reviews

and will be compatible with the K-7.
06-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You will find that the fairly wide 24-135mm suddenly becomes not so wide on a Pentax digital camera due to the relative size of the sensors. Therefore, you may be looking at something a bit wider i.e., the 18-55 kit lens, or another lens. And 18mm is not wide enough for some. Welcome to LBA.

06-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Tamron 70-300mm is a very fine lens with sharpness comparable to even higher end zoom. It will work on k-x/k-7 seamlessly. I have Di version of it and been using it with k-x and k100d. Here is a shot taken with 70-300mm on K-x

07-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Since you are a novice I would go with a Kx. It is a very good camera and will be easier to use than the K7. I would also get the Kx with the kit 18-55 lens because as a previous poster said, 24mm will not be wide enough for you. You will want a wider lens down the line and 18mm will do fine (for a while, until you want a 10mm).
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done. and good advice.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-01-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: ssgsbvfb
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Echoes KxBlaze and Ex Finn

Your two tamron lenses will work seamlessly on either the K-7 or the K-x. One of the great pluses of the pentax system is the backwards compatibility of the camera mount, all the old pentax bayonet mount lenses will fit on the new cameras and work as they were originally designed. Obviously if a lens is manual focus, it will still be manual focus, but it will otherwise work perfectly on your brand new camera.
I echo KxBlaze Ex Finn and others in suggesting that the K-x will be plenty of camera for you in the beginning. I also echo their thoughts regarding getting the "kit" lens for its wide angle abilitiy.

NaCl(and welcome to the forums!)H2O
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the replies and advice. It's great to know that the two Tamron lenses that I have will be fully compatible with either the K-x or K-7, and to actually see (via Yusuf's photo) the high quality of image that they're capable of producing ... when the camera is in the right hands, of course!

In terms of which camera I'll actually go ahead and purchase, I've revisited my finances, and taking into account the advice to run with the kit lens rather than relying on my two Tamrons, I feel that the K-x is more within my price range. Although some have recommended I go for the K-7 if possible, others have suggested the K-x would be ideal for my early stage in the DSLR world. Anyway, it seems that nobody thinks the K-x would be an out and out poor choice, which gives me enough confidence to proceed with my purchase.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my initial post, and to offer your advice. Stay tuned for some more dumb beginner questions when I get my hands on my new K-x
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #10

yusuf - that's gorgeous!