Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Considering a new K-x, concerned about "mirror slap" or SR issue

I'm considering buying a new Pentax K-x, and while I may not buy a new DSLR anytime soon, I may eventually need a good low-cost DSLR kit. The Pentax K-x seems to be the most attractive option, with a huge feature set for less than $600 (Newegg). My biggest concern is the so-called "mirror slap" issue, which causes blurred images at shutter speeds at about 1/50 to 1/250 second . The issue appears to be caused by the SR system. How likely am I to run into this issue, and can a problem-free K-x body develop this issue with use? If possible, I would like to know the odds or probability of getting a K-x camera body that has the "mirror slap" problem. If the risk is too high, I may go with Canon instead.

Like I said, I may not buy a new DSLR anytime soon, and I am only looking at my options for a future purchase (which may be months or even years away). If and when I do buy a new DSLR, Pentax or otherwise, I may post a new thread.

07-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

If you worry about getting struck by lightening or have a tendency to win the lottery, then you should be concerned. But odds of buying a problematic Kx are the same as buying a problematic camera by any other manufacturer.
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm considering buying a new Pentax K-x, and while I may not buy a new DSLR anytime soon, I may eventually need a good low-cost DSLR kit. The Pentax K-x seems to be the most attractive option, with a huge feature set for less than $600 (Newegg). My biggest concern is the so-called "mirror slap" issue, which causes blurred images at shutter speeds at about 1/50 to 1/250 second . The issue appears to be caused by the SR system. How likely am I to run into this issue, and can a problem-free K-x body develop this issue with use? If possible, I would like to know the odds or probability of getting a K-x camera body that has the "mirror slap" problem. If the risk is too high, I may go with Canon instead.

Like I said, I may not buy a new DSLR anytime soon, and I am only looking at my options for a future purchase (which may be months or even years away). If and when I do buy a new DSLR, Pentax or otherwise, I may post a new thread.
It really depends but at such high speeds..do you need SR in the first place?

One of the more often use for SR is when i need to use the tele end of a zoom say 300mm handheld. Though wont see the effect on the VF but the picture is reasonably sharp. But now that i carry at least a monopod for my assignments...dont really on the SR anymore unless require low shutter speed.
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
It really depends but at such high speeds..do you need SR in the first place?

One of the more often use for SR is when i need to use the tele end of a zoom say 300mm handheld. Though wont see the effect on the VF but the picture is reasonably sharp. But now that i carry at least a monopod for my assignments...dont really on the SR anymore unless require low shutter speed.
I don't want to keep switching the SR off and on based on the shutter speed or focal length. I want to be able to keep the SR on whenever the K-x is hand-held and not constantly enter the menu to switch SR off or on. I just want the SR to work whenever I hand-hold the camera.

I'm concerned that the SR image stabilizer may actually "destabilize" the image. What I want to know is how many K-x camera bodies are affected by this issue.

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-01-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Welcome to the forum DragonLord. There are many many people taking wonderful photos with the K-x. Don't mistake the concerns of a small group of users on this forum as an epidemic. I and many others find the K-x to be an amazing camera for the price, even with the kit lens. I use it without hesitation on my motorcycle assignments, and to take pictures of cats:

Good luck!
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely do not worry about mirror slap and or SR not functioning. If you worry about these things then you should be hesitant to buy any DLSR. Most manufactures will have a few DLSRs that have something go wrong when they leave the assembly line. Even if you do get a Kx with a mirror slap problem it will be covered under the warranty and at most it will be an inconvenience to return the Kx and wait for the new one to arrive. I have not heard many people on this forum post that they got a defective Kx, so no need to worry.

Last edited by KxBlaze; 07-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's only a few button presses to turn SR off/on. When I started using a monopod while out walking, I thought it would be a pain to be frequently disabling/re-enabling SR, but it's no big deal. It's no more complicated or time-consuming than changing the ISO.

I'd read so much about the Kx's supposed mirror slap problem that I was a bit afraid to buy one. But the Kx offered so much more than the Canon & Nikon alternatives that I figured I take a chance. I'm so glad I did. The Kx is a great camera, and I see no mirror slap problem.

07-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Any dslr you buy may have a problem. That's why it's important to buy it from a reputed seller. But the vast majority of camera bodies work properly, and so is my K-x, which has absolutely no issue. And takes superb pics!
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So it seems that this is simply a defect that occurs not any more often than defects from other camera manufacturers. Just how often does this problem occur in the Pentax K-x?
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No one has any stats on that, so no one can give you a definitive answer to that question. but i agree with the general assessment that it's just not something to worry about. Every model of every camera and other piece of sophisticated equipment has a few problems here and there. if you resisted buying something because someone somewhere had a problem with it, you'd end up with nothing (except the money you saved not buying at that stuff). I see absolutely no reason to assume the K-x is any worse than any other consumer electronics product in this respect.
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm convinced.

Thank you. I'm convinced that this is only an occasional defect and not a serious, systematic problem. I don't have to worry about the "mirror slap" or SR issue any more.
07-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I totally forgot about this issue and just tested mine last night after owning it for half year. Mine has blurring issue it seems but I am not convinced that it's mirror slap since the problem goes away if my camera is on tripod. At 1/100 shutter speed and vertical orientation, I can consistently take picture that is more blurred than normal when it's handheld. It goes away when it's on tripod. It seems to me maybe the SR algorithm is failing in this very specific configuration. I mostly shoot in horizontal orientation so I haven't really noticed the problem. I'd suggest getting it from a place with good return policy and test it out immediately so it is returnable if you happen to get one that's really bad.
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I totally forgot about this issue and just tested mine last night after owning it for half year. Mine has blurring issue it seems but I am not convinced that it's mirror slap since the problem goes away if my camera is on tripod. At 1/100 shutter speed and vertical orientation, I can consistently take picture that is more blurred than normal when it's handheld. It goes away when it's on tripod. It seems to me maybe the SR algorithm is failing in this very specific configuration. I mostly shoot in horizontal orientation so I haven't really noticed the problem. I'd suggest getting it from a place with good return policy and test it out immediately so it is returnable if you happen to get one that's really bad.
SR should be off when on a tripod. Note sure how you are doing it from your post.
07-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
SR should be off when on a tripod. Note sure how you are doing it from your post.
I purposely left it on in order to compare.
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I'd suggest getting it from a place with good return policy and test it out immediately so it is returnable if you happen to get one that's really bad.
Agreed. If and when I do buy it, it will be ordered from Newegg, which has very good service and a good return policy for the K-x. It will be tested for this issue immediately upon arrival; if it fails, it will be returned and replaced as soon as possible. Newegg has a 30 day return period for refund or replacement.