Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Blue About Blue Pictures in "P" Mode

So many of the pictures I take when the camera is set to "P" mode have a heavy blue cast. In the attached example, the wing portion in the lower right hand corner should be white. It's as though the pictures have been taken through a blue filter. I've searched the forum but haven't found anything on this, which suggests to me that the cause is so basic that no one else has repeated this error. Can someone enlighten me, please?

Attached Images

07-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your white balance is set wrong. Nothing to do with "P" mode.
07-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. I'll check that.
07-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure (as I haven't tested it) but I think some Pentax DSLRS may set the camera's white balance when you're in a specific mode as part of that saved mode. Yours may be doing it.

But it's definitely a white balance issue.

07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 on the above. My guess is the reaosn the OP is associating this with P ode is that at some point in the past he set the WB in P mode to tungsten, but takes most of his pictures in Green / AUTO mode, when the WB setting is ignored (it's always Auto WB). Only hen switching back to P mode would the Tungsten setting get used. Solution - change back to Auto in P mode and leave it there until you have a better handle on how WB works and when you need to change it. And then when you do change it, don't forget to change it back when done.
07-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have set my K-x to reset back to AWB after repower

Marc's comment is spot on (as usual).
In fact on my camera I managed to create photos with wrong WB several times (forgetting to reset it after indoors etc) have now set my K-x to not remember WB setting (ie. go back AWB setting when turned off / on). Given that I often need to "Switch on and shoot" (children) this has saved my bacon a few times now.

The setting in under "Menu" Camera settings menu 4, item "Memory".
07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't had this occur yet, but I will check out camera settings in menu 4, memory for sure. Thanks for that tip.
07-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Another example of the case for shooting RAW. Incorrect WB in RAW translates to "oops" instead of " Oh, S___!" as with jpeg.

07-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Another example of the case for shooting RAW. Incorrect WB in RAW translates to "oops" instead of " Oh, S___!" as with jpeg.
+1 to that. With memory cards so cheap, raw is the way to go.
07-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I still do 95% of my post-processing in-camera and save only JPEGs long term (heresy, I know!) but have switched to RAW + JPEG for exactly this reason. (Plus I normally save as ★★★, but with RAW+ I can save ★★★★ versions of better images after the fact.)
07-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
Y'all are awesome. Thanks for the input. Marc: that's exactly what I had done. I've changed my settings accordingly.
07-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As noted, fixing WB in RAW development is easy. But JPGs are easily fixable too, at least with my old PaintShopPro warez. I use the AUTOMATIC COLOR BALANCE tool to adjust the light temperature, with REMOVE COLOR CAST checked. Still, fixing WB in RAW is preferable.