Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
While that is true, I think you will find that they burn out quickly. One day you will try them and they simply will not work any more. I had three sets from different top brands, and it happened to all of them.
That's my experience too. You might get as many shots from non-hybrid cells at first, but it does tend to be more variable (and because of self-discharge, they arne't veyr reliable as spares), and with repeated use, they pretty quickly degrade to the point of being almost completely useless in a DSLR (although they'll still power less demanding devices). None of my non-hybrid cells were performing after a year or two as well as they were at first. Whereas my Eneloops are still doing great after, hmm, maybe four years now.

07-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BAFlo Quote
Thanks everyone for replying! I think i have (almost) clear the difference between NiMh and mAh.
OK, let me try again:

NiMH: what some batteries are made of. Other batteries are made of Lithium, Li-Ion, NiZn, NiCd, "alkaline", or other materials. Every single battery is made of one and only one of these things. All of the recharegable batteries under discussion in this thread are NiMH - including Eneloops. Unless someone mentioned the newer NiZn cells.

mAh: a measure of battery capacity. Every battery in the world, no matter what it is made out, has a capacity than an be measured in mAh. So, every NiMH battery has a capacity that can be measured in mAh, and so does every Li-Ion battery and so does every NiZn battery, and so does every alkaline battery, etc.

It's just an unfortunate accident that the lists you posted made it appear that some of the cells were NiMH and others were mAh. In reality, they were *all* NiMH - some just didn't include that fact in the listing. And they *all* have a capacity that can be measured in mAh - some just didn't include that info in the listing.
07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, let me try again:

NiMH: what some batteries are made of. Other batteries are made of Lithium, Li-Ion, NiZn, NiCd, "alkaline", or other materials. Every single battery is made of one and only one of these things. All of the recharegable batteries under discussion in this thread are NiMH - including Eneloops. Unless someone mentioned the newer NiZn cells.

mAh: a measure of battery capacity. Every battery in the world, no matter what it is made out, has a capacity than an be measured in mAh. So, every NiMH battery has a capacity that can be measured in mAh, and so does every Li-Ion battery and so does every NiZn battery, and so does every alkaline battery, etc.

It's just an unfortunate accident that the lists you posted made it appear that some of the cells were NiMH and others were mAh. In reality, they were *all* NiMH - some just didn't include that fact in the listing. And they *all* have a capacity that can be measured in mAh - some just didn't include that info in the listing.
Ohh!! thanks a lot! now it IS clear! haha
yeah, those were the only ones i found, i might be going to the store were i find all this information and ask them personally which ones are the best (though it's obvious the Enloops are), and the quality difference between them.
Thanks everyone for the help, i reeeally appreciate that
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, NiMH and mAh are completely unrelated terms.

I was about to point this out when I read his post mentioning NiMH (what a battery is made of) and mAh (how a battery is measured). It's kind of like comparing metal / polymers (what a car is made of) to how much horsepower the car has - completely unrelated terms.

07-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Twenty of them with another dozen coming? Sorry to have to ask this, but you do realize these are rechargeable, right?
I've got two kids and our families buy them lots of toys that use AA. We also have WiiMotes and a bunch of other electronics that use AA. I could probably keep five dozen AA batteries in regular rotation the way we go through them. I'm afraid to calculate what we have spent on AA batteries in the past four years, and I'm going rechargeable now to save money later. The whole situation is a bit absurd though.
07-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Another nod for the eneloops. I bought eight when I got my K200D, and when I wanted to buy more, the only store in Johannesburg that I'd been able to get them in no longer stocked them.

I went as far as contacting Sanyo's local offices before resigning myself to buying other brands. Some of them (like the energizers and the duracell pre-charged) started out well enough, but all of them are now noticeably worse at holding their charge than the eneloops. In fact, those original 8 put the others to shame.

I've since relegated the other brands to alarm clocks and other small gadgets. A housemate visiting NYC was kind enough to bring me back another 16 eneloops, so I'm all set again.

They may be expensive, but they really are that good. Of course, it's still advisable to get a good charger, or at the very least label each set of four and only use/charge them together. It's a small inconvenience that'll massively prolong their useful life.