Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Which ones do i buy?

Hello there,
I've recently purchased a new Pentax K-x, and i wanted to know what brand of rechargeable batteries should i get, the ones i found are: (please tell me which one's the best, or if there's another option)

Sony Cycle Energy AA 2000mAh
Sanyo AA 2500 (Ni-Mh)
Energizer AA 2500mAh
Sanyo Eneloop AA

(i don't know if Ni-Mh and mAh is the same )

If you can also tell me what charger should i get, please do tell me.

P.s: Consider the fact i'm from Latin America, everything is more expensive, and there are a lot of things i might not find here

Last edited by BAFlo; 07-02-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
07-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See the numerous existing threads on AA batteries. There are Eneloops, there are a couple of simialr cells that perform as well, and there is everything else that doens't work as well.

NiMH is a type of battery. mAh is a measure of capacity (not generally relevant for DSLR's, sicne they can't use all the capacity in a cell anyhow). So your question is kind of like asking what the different between wine and a liter.
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Consensus rechargeable batteries to use are the Sanyo Eneloops. However the Sony Cycle Energy are very good as well, they are rumored to be re-badged Eneloops. You can't go wrong with either of those 2. Make sure you get a good battery charger as well like the Lacrosse BC900 or BC9009
07-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #4

I use these on my K-x and they work great. They are not expensive either.

07-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bet if you went to a photography shop, you could probably find the enloops. If not, maybe you could order them from Amazon.com.. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Any of the low/slow self-discharge batteries will probably work fine. I have had good results with Eneloops, Duracell copper-top hybrid, and Rayovac hybrid. They all work equally as far as I can tell. The Duracell green variety, which are not hybrids, were the worst batteries I've ever used, and after a year wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day or two. To Duracell's credit, their customer service replaced them for me at no cost, and I have had good results with the hybrid copper-top variety since.

Paul
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Terms like low self discharge (LSD), pre-charged, or hybrid are all keywords pointing to the same battery technology. These batteries (such as Sanyo Eneloops, Rayovac Hybrids, etc.) are great because they lose their charge much more slowly while sitting there idle. Leave your standard rechargeables by themselves for a couple of months and they'll be way dead. Do the same with LSDs and they'll still be nicely charged.

Don't worry about mAh figures when comparing LSDs with regular NiMH batteries. I was hung up on this for a while and as a result didn't use LSDs until fairly recently. The NiMH batteries will almost always have higher figures, but comparing batteries by mAh figures is like comparing camera quality based solely on megapixels. Just know that the typical LSD battery will greatly outperform a typical regular NiMH battery that has a much higher mAh value.

07-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I did a bit of research on these. I would only recommend the Rayovac Hybrids pictured above, or the Sanyo Eneloops.

I ended up buying twenty Eneloops to get me started, and will probably buy another dozen next month. They work great and I think most people tend to use these in their cameras.
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Twenty of them with another dozen coming? Sorry to have to ask this, but you do realize these are rechargeable, right?
07-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Twenty of them with another dozen coming? Sorry to have to ask this, but you do realize these are rechargeable, right?
That was exactly my thought!
07-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for replying! I think i have (almost) clear the difference between NiMh and mAh.
Now, the thing is: Everyone recommends the Enloops, but, as i have investigated, they are the most expensive ones ($32 ars. but i don't know if it's only one, or a full package), still, i know those will last for a long time and will be worth the price.
I haven't found the Rayovac Hybrids, so i don't know if they're sold here, Amazon ordering is too expensive and i'd have my batteries in two weeks. The Sony Cycle Energy seem good, and each one cost $16 ars. (around 4 dollars), but i still don't know the charge life, or if it would be worth buying them.

(sorry if my english is bad, not my main language )
07-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops I bought at Adorama cost me $10.95 for four. So, your $32 ars probably is four to a package. And I got uh badgered, kind of, about what I should buy and I ended up getting the eneloops and am satisfied with them. I have to say though, I also bought some rechargeable Energizers, and with them, they last as long as the eneloops, on full charge. So I have four rechargeables now. I do not know their shelf life after charging though, on the Energizers. So far they are holding their charge.
07-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can easily see how you can end up with that many, especially if you hate having to hunt batteries before you grab and go.. I know between the various brands we own over 60:

My DS2 & flash: 12 (camera 4, flash 4, extra 4)
Wife's K100D & flash: 12 (same again)
K10D & flash: 8 (flash 4, extra 4)
Fuji digital P&S: 4 (camera 2, extra 2)
2 bluetooth keyboards: 8
Universal remote: 4
Some LED stickup lights: 12
Some spares in utility room
Assorted flashlights

That's 36 for photo purposes alone with lots more around the house. As the older NiMH batteries have died, I'm replacing them with whichever brand is on sale that week. I have noticed very little difference in actual use between the Eneloop, Cycle, Kodak, or Rayovac. I haven't tried the Energizer or Duracell versions.
07-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have to say though, I also bought some rechargeable Energizers, and with them, they last as long as the eneloops, on full charge.
While that is true, I think you will find that they burn out quickly. One day you will try them and they simply will not work any more. I had three sets from different top brands, and it happened to all of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I know between the various brands we own over 60
And there I was cursing my environmental impact when I started considering a third set.
07-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And there I was cursing my environmental impact when I started considering a third set.
But consider the impact if I was using regular batteries.

Seriously, the only regular batteries I've bought in the last 8 years were one set to power a P&S on a day trip when the Nimhs died (older style, forgot to change) and the 9V for my smoke alarms. Over the last two years my original batteries have been dying and I've been replacing them with the LSD type and I think I now replaced them all.