Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
quality pallas lenses

Hallo,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of "Pallas" lenses with K-mount.
There are two lenses of this brand I can get cheaply for use with my Pentax K-x. (digital).
A "Pallas auto mc 3,5/200mm" and a "Pallas 2,8/135mm".
I have searched everywhere I could think of on the internet, but Pallas as a brand of lenses is nowhere to be found. At least, I certainly can't find anything.
I would offcourse like to know beforehand if these lenses are of some decent quality.
So if there's anyone with information regarding this brand, let me know!

Thanks, Arnoud

07-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there might be a few posts on the Off-brand Club thread. IIRC Pallas lenses are essentially the same as Miranda and Soligar lenses of the same focal length and vintage. Some are supposed to be pretty good, though I don't know that I would pay a premium price for one without having done some research on the particular model.

Steve

BTW...it is my understanding that the Pallas lenses from Miranda/Soligar were M42 screwmount. Any K-mount lenses under that name are probably of later vintage and lower quality.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-03-2010 at 02:19 PM.
07-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Pallas/Luxon lens

Thanks, Steve!
Very nice that there also is a category within this forum for "weard" lenses so to speak!
I can get the Pallas lenses cheap I think: 19 euro for each of them. (this is in Us dollars somewhat less) They are both brand new lenses. The 2,8 135mm definitely has the K mount; the other one I'll have to check.
I think I just try to make a deal: the same shop also has the original macro f4 50mm for sale.
This one is somewhat expensive (149 euro) but I might get a discount when buying the Pallas ones also. The fact that it is meaningful/important/possible to put foto's made with this two Pallas lenses on this part of the forum, makes it worthwhile to buy the lenses; if they do not satisfy, I can at least let people know how they (not) perform!
Than I have another question: any idea how the Luxon 4-5,6/28-200 with ka mount performs?
This lens is also for sale in the same shop. The ka mount might make this lens interesting! And than there's also the Soligor 4,5/80-200, new (39 euro); and the Panagor 3,5/75-205 (10 euro) Both with k mount. Is the Pentax Takumar 4,5/80-200 a better choice than the Soligor 4,5/80-200? The Soligor is brandnew and a bit cheaper, while the Pentax is used and a bit more expensive.
Quite a lot of questions I realise; itś difficult though when you are just starting out!

Regards, Arnoud
07-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning Arnoud, Why don't you take your camera to the shop and do a quick test there in the shop before buying. The camera should record at least some if not all the lens information on the EXIF (or meta data) for each of the images so that you can sort the images for each lens.

This way you can at least verify that the lenses mount and operate, view the rear screen image, and maybe even take the lens out side the shop to see how it does outside. Then, possibly go home and review the images, returning to buy just what you desire.

Its worth a try....

07-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturefreak Quote
Thanks, Steve!
Very nice that there also is a category within this forum for "weard" lenses so to speak!
I can get the Pallas lenses cheap I think: 19 euro for each of them. (this is in Us dollars somewhat less) They are both brand new lenses. The 2,8 135mm definitely has the K mount; the other one I'll have to check.
I think I just try to make a deal: the same shop also has the original macro f4 50mm for sale.
This one is somewhat expensive (149 euro) but I might get a discount when buying the Pallas ones also. The fact that it is meaningful/important/possible to put foto's made with this two Pallas lenses on this part of the forum, makes it worthwhile to buy the lenses; if they do not satisfy, I can at least let people know how they (not) perform!
Than I have another question: any idea how the Luxon 4-5,6/28-200 with ka mount performs?
This lens is also for sale in the same shop. The ka mount might make this lens interesting! And than there's also the Soligor 4,5/80-200, new (39 euro); and the Panagor 3,5/75-205 (10 euro) Both with k mount. Is the Pentax Takumar 4,5/80-200 a better choice than the Soligor 4,5/80-200? The Soligor is brandnew and a bit cheaper, while the Pentax is used and a bit more expensive.
Quite a lot of questions I realise; itś difficult though when you are just starting out!

Regards, Arnoud
Hi Arnoud,
The Takumar 80-200/4.5 is in the lens database on this site. Its quality is probably about the same as the Soligor. Here in the U.S. neither lens would be worth more than $25 USD. If the Panagor is in good shape, it might well be your best value of the bunch. I have never heard of a Luxon.

Steve
07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
purchase lenses

Hai,

For now I have chosen for the Pentax macro 4/50mm, the Pallas 3,5/200mm and an Albinar 2,8/135mm. The Pallas 135mm was no longer available. I was able to make a deal with the vendor which made the prices for these 3 lenses more attractive.
I will certainly post one or more photo's made with the Pallas 200mm lens. Next week I should have the lenses home. Meanwhile I already have purchased the Takumar 2,8/28mm. Buying a Takumar lens is always a good idea so that was an easy decision!
And yes, the only way to know the other lenses available, is indeed to just try them out..

Regards; I 'll get back with photo's from the Pallas lens as soon as I have some photo's available! Arnoud