Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, I live in a pretty rural area, I don't know if I will be able to try them. But I will look next time I am in the "big city". It would be nice to see them in person.

07-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have personal experience, but from what I read, the K-x has better low light performance than the K-7. I have a K200D and if I were going to upgrade, I would go with the K-x because it is much more within my price range than the K-7 and I do not have the advantage of patience that comes with age. Plus it sort of seems like they took the great features of the K-7 and put them in a more compact entry-level body.

I don't know anything about your Kodak P&S, but I'd bet that any SLR would be nicely sized compared to it (unless your P&S is one of those big superzoom ones). The K-x is more compact than the K-7, so if you'd much rather have a camera that is larger, you'll want the K-7.

EDIT:
Also, if you are going to visit a camera shop to handle them in person first, make sure you call ahead, since Pentax cameras might not be stocked in all stores.
07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
Thank you for all the replies. The size of the camera is one of my concerns, I have a Kodak point and shoot and it is entirely too small, although I don't want one that is too bulky. I currently use an SF-1 and it seems about right, I don't think I would want much smaller.
Without knowing which Kodak camera you have, both the K-x and the K-7 would probably be much closer to the size of the SF-1 than to the size of the Kodak. It's not particularly hard to find the actual dimensions of any of the cameras online if you can't find the cameras themselves in a store.
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which DSLR?

One major difference between the the Kx and the K-7 is the latter's top view LCD which provides information on your shutter speed, aperature, ISO, etc. settings, making it very quick and easy to adjust them. For me it is of much greater value than even the live view feature. The K-7 is a solid camera that you won't soon outgrow. From what I have seen and heard many folks, who start out with the Kx-x, wind up upgrading to the K-7 before long. For the money, I'd go with the K-7. It is the kind of quality camera body that you would keep around as a second body, even if you upgraded to newer Pentax offering in the future. I agree with the other posts that the battery life on the K-7 is exceptional. I also find it takes much less room in my bag to carry a couple of spare batteries for it (the K-7) than it would to carry a mulitude of AA batteries, which would undoubtedly be rolling around in it before long.

Last edited by loveisageless; 07-06-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: punctuation patrol :-)
07-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
One major difference between the the Kx and the K-7 is the latter's top view LCD which provides information on your shutter speed, aperature, ISO, etc. settings, making it very quick and easy to adjust them.
It's just as easy without top LCD: you see the same info in the viewfinder and on the back LCD.
07-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
I read that the display on the KX (is that what is called Live View?) uses a lot of battery power. Is the exposure info available on the LCD without activating the full display mode, to save battery life?

Marc, found the dimensions, they are within 1 or 2 tenths of an inch in all directions.
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I shot close to 300 pictures on the batteries that came with my K-X. They still have life in them, but I switched to the Enloops I ordered for the 4th of July and just haven't changed back yet. Coming from an SLR background, the Live View is about the only thing I haven't played with yet-because I don't feel like I need to use it. I don't think the full display mode on the LCD screen pulls that much battery power. I use mine all the time. I'm still learning and I use it to look at my shots after I take them, and get the data from them to see which settings I used for the shots I like best.
07-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
I read that the display on the KX (is that what is called Live View?) uses a lot of battery power. Is the exposure info available on the LCD without activating the full display mode, to save battery life?
Yes, That's the normal way of using a DSLR - looking through the viewfinder, no picture but only info on the LCD. Liveview is only meant for special situations when for whatever reason you think it will be preferable than using the camera the way it was designed to be used.

07-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just over a year ago I upgraded to the K20 from my K100 which I still have. I have used AAs and CRV3s in it and have had great experience with 600 shots easily - however I rarely used the flash. The KX is even better on batteries from what I have read. I would have no problem going with the KX with the batteries.

As Marc posted, Liveview is for special uses, on a tripod, on the ground, ect, - essentially where you are really unable to get your eye to the viewfinder. DSLRs are much larger and heavier than P&S, thus you are really not able to hold the unit out in front of you to frame a shot and hold the camera steady.