Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help selecting new DSLR

I am not new to photography but this will be my first DSLR, so I thought the beginner section appropriate.
It looks like the K-X vs. K7 has been discussed at length, but I do have a couple of questions.

Does the K-X come equipped to use standard AA batteries while the K7 requires an add on for about $195?

Also I read in a review that the battery adapter makes the K7 easier to handle, does this indicate that these cameras are on the small side?

And finally, the K-X seems to be available with only the 18-55 lens while the two lens package is back ordered indefinetly. Is that the better deal, or would I just get the single lens and get a second one later?

Thanks everyone.....

07-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K-x with 18-55 through my rewards program, and bought the 55-300 on ebay. I ended up paying a little more than I would have if a person bought the 2 lens kit.

For the K-7, I don't have it, but I think you are referring to the optional battery pack, and is not "required".
07-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
I am not new to photography but this will be my first DSLR, so I thought the beginner section appropriate.
It looks like the K-X vs. K7 has been discussed at length, but I do have a couple of questions.

Does the K-X come equipped to use standard AA batteries while the K7 requires an add on for about $195?

Also I read in a review that the battery adapter makes the K7 easier to handle, does this indicate that these cameras are on the small side?

And finally, the K-X seems to be available with only the 18-55 lens while the two lens package is back ordered indefinetly. Is that the better deal, or would I just get the single lens and get a second one later?

Thanks everyone.....
Yes the K-x comes equipped for standard batteries... while I guess you could look at the K-7 as requiring a battery grip to use AA batteries, I really don't think you should look at it that way. Honestly the K-7 battery is a beast that lasts a very long time on one charge. I have shot for hours and spent hundreds of shots and some video on a single charge. So I don't see the battery as an issue. If you are worried about being stranded with no battery or no where that you can charge, pick up a spare battery.

The grip does help a bit, but I have ape hands and I never found the K-7 at all small to me. The grip width is still the same size/depth as a 50D or D90 and D300s... so the part you wrap your mits around is relatively the same. I love the K-7 grip, best I have held. The only thing is that I sometimes have my pinky hanging below the camera bottom, which isnt really a big deal for me... but the grip would solve that.

This is up to you. I think everyone has their opinion of this. I personally did not want a kit lens at first... so I got my K-7 body only, and picked out my own first lens. At the time of my order, it was actually cheaper to buy a body and the 18-55WR sperately (when I was still considering it), which might not be true now. My first lens was the Pentax 16-45, absolutely huge amounts of image quality in a small, cheap zoom.

The 18-55WR is a killer kit lens, I ended up getting one for a while and its easily the best kit 18-55 I have ever used. This is with me having many years with the 18-55 from Nikon and Canon. Its sharp, contrasty, comes with a hood, non rotating front element and its weather resistant (something none of the other kit lenses can match).

If it were me, I would just get the Body... however being your first DSLR it might be nice to just get the kit and have both and see what you like about the camera before making your first move on to other lenses. Plus with the kit lens you get a nice full WR package If you want to skip the kit lens, seriously look at the 17-70 and 16-45 very nice lenses that are reasonably priced. I highly recommend the DA/FA limited primes, I am in full LBA right now though.
Edit: Oops I didn't read the last question right... ignore my last part :P

Stay out of JSherman's threads though, he will make you covet every piece of glass Pentax makes!

Edit: Oops I didn't read the last question right... ignore my last part :P
07-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have both.

K7 is the winner in all aspect of use and performance except extreme ISO shots (2000+) but shooting Raw circumvents this issue also.

So K7 unless you do a lot of low light indoor and/or street photo where Kx is a better alternative because it is easier to carry and non threatening (non black versions)

If you need a cheap AA capability in K7 you could buy a generic battery grip for about USD 60.

07-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
I have both.

K7 is the winner in all aspect of use and performance except extreme ISO shots (2000+) but shooting Raw circumvents this issue also.

So K7 unless you do a lot of low light indoor and/or street photo where Kx is a better alternative because it is easier to carry and non threatening (non black versions)

If you need a cheap AA capability in K7 you could buy a generic battery grip for about USD 60.
I've had a Kx since feb. and just ordered a K7, what you just said is the exact reason why I kept the Kx, basically for whenever I can't use a tripod. I wanted a more pro dslr with weather proofing though and the K7 is priced excellently right now.
07-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote

Thanks everyone.....
The K7 'add on' is the battery grip and you really only NEED it if you want to run the camera with AA batteries. Aftermarkts are available in the $50 range if you want to try one. Li-90 type batteries can be had for around $10, more or less, depending on where you buy them from. I have 3, and I have yet to be without power. One is kept in the camera body, one in the battery grip, one as a spare. The camera is set to use the grip battery first (it will actully run without one in the body).

You really only would notice a size difference if you were experienced with another DSLR, the K10d or K20d for instance. *I* find that with the grip, the camera is very well balanced when using a heavier lens.

For what it's worth, the Kx is smaller than the K7 (if I'm not mistaken) and there is No option to add a battery grip.

07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The LIon battery is niot that expensive and more than worth it considerign the grief AA's will give you.
07-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If AA batteries are part of the reason you choose a K-x, make sure you get yourself some Sanyo Eneloop batteries and a good charger. If for some reason you don't want to do that and want to use one-use batteries, do NOT use regular alkalines, as your camera will last about 40 shots or so. If you're not going to use rechargeable AAs, get lithium AAs.

There are people on both sides of the battery issue - one side thinks that proprietary Li-ion batteries are better because they last longer, the other side thinks that AA batteries last long enough and can be replaced with much less money. (I think, anyways, I have not done exhaustive research into the debate)

07-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
If AA batteries are part of the reason you choose a K-x, make sure you get yourself some Sanyo Eneloop batteries and a good charger. If for some reason you don't want to do that and want to use one-use batteries, do NOT use regular alkalines, as your camera will last about 40 shots or so. If you're not going to use rechargeable AAs, get lithium AAs.

There are people on both sides of the battery issue - one side thinks that proprietary Li-ion batteries are better because they last longer, the other side thinks that AA batteries last long enough and can be replaced with much less money. (I think, anyways, I have not done exhaustive research into the debate)
You pretty much have the debate nailed. Add to it that the AA can be bought anywhere but as you note, some won't last beyond 40 shots and when you HAVE To buy them, they are the only types you'll find. Truthfully, either option is fine and once the initial cost is absorbed, rechargeables on both sides, work just about as well, as long as you plan ahead.

07-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took over 200 shots with my K-x on one dollars worth of batteries from the dollar store.
07-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K-x gets between 500-600 shots with eneloops. Not sure what I get with the K-7, still haven't used it much.
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Add to it that the AA can be bought anywhere but as you note, some won't last beyond 40 shots and when you HAVE To buy them, they are the only types you'll find.
It's pretty rare not to be able to find Lithium AA's. But I'd agree that the ability to purchase spares in an emergency is not really much of a differentiator if you're even moderately prepared.

I'd also observe that while it's true the battery grip does allow the K-7 to use AA's that is *not* the primary purpose of the grip. The primary purpose is to make the camera larger and easier to hold vertically, and to provide the option of backup power that just happens to potentially come from AA cells.
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's pretty rare not to be able to find Lithium AA's. But I'd agree that the ability to purchase spares in an emergency is not really much of a differentiator if you're even moderately prepared.

I'd also observe that while it's true the battery grip does allow the K-7 to use AA's that is *not* the primary purpose of the grip. The primary purpose is to make the camera larger and easier to hold vertically, and to provide the option of backup power that just happens to potentially come from AA cells.
After 30+ years of using SLRs, or make that An SLR, I still find myself rotating the camera with the old typical twist and using the top shutter release and controls. I often forget the grip controls are even there. My point was that for a AA option, IF it's a deciding factor, the K7 does offer that solution. Noting particularly convenient about it though unless you run with it all the time. It requires a different tray and it takes 6 AA batteries.

07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies. The size of the camera is one of my concerns, I have a Kodak point and shoot and it is entirely too small, although I don't want one that is too bulky. I currently use an SF-1 and it seems about right, I don't think I would want much smaller.

Would it be quality of photos, or features or both that differentiates the two models?

There is also cost, I can easily afford the K-X, but might have to wait a while for the K7, but I am getting more patient as I get older....
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Inactive Account

For *My* money, the K7 is worth every penny. I would suggest, if at all possible, you try them out in person and then decide.