Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #1

question about studio lighting

Hi All,

Could someone point me in the right direction when it comes to studio lighting?

I want to shoot the really slick looking stock images very clean looking white light.
Shinny surface , razor sharp pictures... Hope you get where I`m going

I do like contstant light ( using daylight lamps ( 3 ) at the moment )

But if you all say nope gotta go with flash then I will go with flash.
Can you sum up in short what I need to buy, or does someone have a good website that I can go to?

Thanks all.

Anne-marie ( first post but long time lurker )

07-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

For still life/product shots, I've always liked continuous lighting myself. A light tent and/or soft box would also be a must, both of which you can make yourself. No use spending tens or hundreds of dollars on stuff you can make for like $5.

If you want to do anything involving people, then you would almost definitely need to get strobes, just because high quality continuous lighting is typically very hot and uncomfortable. They make cooler, compact fluorescent continuous lighting rigs, but they just don't throw out enough light as the brighter, hotter quartz lights. I've shot people using quartz lights, and it can definitely be done, but you'll have to take quick breaks in between shots too keep your model from getting all sweaty.
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I honestly recommend some flash heads, specifically the Vivitar 285HV. 85 dollars, good light output, adjustable light output, works with all digital cameras and it has a sync with cables. Plus the fact it works on batteries makes it portable.

For constant light, I would recommend China Ball lights. a simple thing that you can make run on either tungsten or CFL bulbs. Its very cheap, makes a nice soft light.

By white light do you mean white to the human eye, or white in the camera?
07-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd jump straight into studio flash units. I'm not sure what is available in Europe.

07-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I`m doing both, thank you for the input.

First shots this morning I made a light tent outside bright sun and it worked.
I bought a piece of plexiglas that had a nice shine and used that as work surface.
I bought a big white bag we use to put rocks and rubble in to make my tent, used an old tripod to keep it in place. The purple picture I added a gradient.

I am looking into flashes and I think thats the way to go... theres not enough sun in Holland
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo