Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Camera on the way, lenses on the way, what am I missing?

So I finally took the plunge and bought my first dslr and lenses (off this very forum). After a lot of debate between it and the K-x, I went with the K20D. For glass, I found an excellent deal on a Pentax 28-80 macro, and Soligor 75-250, 80-300 and a 2x teleconverter. My thinking here is this covers most of the bases: macro, good moderate length all purpose, mid-range tele, longer range tele with the TC, auto focus with the Pentax, and manual focus with the Soligors. I'm also picking up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" which I hear is an excellent intro to the basics of photography, although I'm a very hands-on type learner so I'm waiting to have the camera in hand before delving into it.

So my question: what do I still need to buy? I've kind of broken it up into different sections.

Glass: I'm thinking of snagging an older mid-range prime, perhaps a 35 or 50 as all the other lenses I'm buying are variable range. Should I just wait, or would it be good to have a pancake available to learn on as well?

Books: are the Magic Lantern or Yvon Bourque K20D guides worth picking up? This is my first advanced camera, and I hear there can be quite a learning curve. Any other general "I know nothing about photography so start at the beginning" type books every newb should have?

Accessories: filters, hoods, straps, bags etc etc... What's essential and what's merely nice to pick up later?

Last edited by Balog; 07-07-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Formatting correction
07-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't get my hopes up for those Soligors.

And I would suggest an M42 Super or Super Multi Coated Tak 50 1.4.
07-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I wouldn't get my hopes up for those Soligors.

And I would suggest an M42 Super or Super Multi Coated Tak 50 1.4.
Well, I only hope to be able to learn to use manual focus and get used to taking pictures of things far away. Given the price I paid I'm not expecting greatness, but for me right now I couldn't do greatness justice in any case.

And I'll take a look for that lens, thank you. Are the older M42 Takumars very well regarded lenses?
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The Soligors have built-in hoods that slide out but the Pentax 28-80mm will need a hood for outdoor shots to reduce flare. A $6 screw-on collapsible rubber hood will work fine.

Didn't see any mention of hotshoe flash. You will quickly learn that the camera flash is harsh lighting compared to using a hotshoe flash that can swivle and bounce the light off ceiling or walls. For indoor shooting that may be your next big purchase. In the meantime, anything that can diffuse the on camera flash will make the shots look better. More research for you....

07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Flash eh? I hate the things so I had planned to just try to go without using it. Hmmm, more research indeed.
07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
Flash eh? I hate the things so I had planned to just try to go without using it. Hmmm, more research indeed.
I don't think you need a flash right away--in the beginning and beyond, the best shots are done in natural light anyway.

Are your lenses all K mount? (Bayonet type and not screw-in.)

For outside work, I would look at getting a circular polarizing filter, always abbreviated CP on this site. They darken the sky and up the contrast and saturation of the entire image.
07-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If the prime you are getting is fast, say f1.4-f2, you have a decent chance to get indoor shots w/o flash. Just don't expect the kids to slow down enough for you to do it at night. There are a lot of fast, manual 50's out there. My fav lens is still the A50/1.4 I started with.

So, put your money into a fast prime or plan on using some flash indoors.

07-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Card (SDHC) Camera does not come with one.
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A lens cleaning kit of some kind; one that includes a good air blower.
Not only is it good for removing dust from your lenses but is indispensable in maintaining a clean sensor.
Saves a lot of aggravation down the line when you're reviewing your photos on the computer.
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me a bag is essential. Everywhere I go I need a bag to carry my camera, extra batteries, filters and at least 2 lenses. So I would say buy a bag RIGHT NOW TODAY!!

The lenses actually are what can wait. This is simply due to the fact that when you become a better photographer you will learn what types of lenses you will want and need. If you buy lenses now you may come to learn that you do not like or need the ones you bought.
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe some step up or step down rings for filters?
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don’t want to sound too harsh, but what you are missing is even remotely good quality lenses. The lens is more important than the camera in image quality, and honestly the glass you have chosen is going to hurt your image quality. It’s not about quantity and covering all the focal lengths, it’s about quality. I’d rather have a DA40 LTD than all those lenses you’ve listed. In fact I’d rather have no lenses than all those lenses you’ve listed, and simply save for a DA40 or a manaual focus A 50mm f1.7.

So IMHO forget all the bits and bobs and filters and bags and what not, and simply save for one nice lens.
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Well, the variety of lenses, of whatever quality, will allow the OP to try different focal lengths and come to the realization he has NO WIDE ANGLE :-)

You will need a memory card, another inexpensive Lenmar battery from Adorama or B&H is recommended, one bag to hold "everything" with at least one extra hole to expand into, and a smaller bag to hold the body and maybe 2 lenses for specific outings.

As much a I dislike using tripods, I would recommend getting a monopod. I think my Manfrotto with a quick-release plate was about $75. They are actually handy and can be hung unobtrusively from your belt when not in use. And one of those mini 6" tabletop tripods is handy in museums or really anywhere you can not use a tripod or monopod. Brace against a wall, tree, or post, etc.

I recently sold a very nice flash I used twice (maybe) a few years ago - I was in an underground bunker.
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
Well, I only hope to be able to learn to use manual focus and get used to taking pictures of things far away. Given the price I paid I'm not expecting greatness, but for me right now I couldn't do greatness justice in any case.
This is a mistake that I think a Lot of beginners make. The assumption that somehow they cannot justify buying the better lenses BECAUSE they are new at it.

QuoteQuote:
And I'll take a look for that lens, thank you. Are the older M42 Takumars very well regarded lenses?
Yes, they are but you'll need an M42 adapter to use them.

Instead though, I would seek out a Pentax M 35mm f2.0. They aren't too terribly expensive and will put you at a 'normal' focal length for a prime lens.

07-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You do not have to get everything at once. Obviously the SD card you need. You don't have to start out with everything in a bag. Use what you have, check out Craigslist or evilbay also for an inexpensive bag, but the camera and lens walking around is just fine to start out with.

The K20 is a wonderful body. I would suggest that you work around the problems that you encounter. Need a wide angle shot, stitch several images together. Too dark indoors or in the evening, sit the camera on a bench or table and take a long exposure. As you find your interests, that will help to point you to your next acquisition.