Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It doesn't matter. If you meter off of your palm you are determining the correct exposure based on the EV of the scene. What is in the scene is irrelevant. It is no different than if you use a grey card or an incident light meter. Correct exposure is correct exposure.
When a scene has more light than your camera can capture, you have a choice to make. Expose for the high values and go with accent blacks. Expose for the low values and have accent whites. Or go for some middle and have both accent white and black. Which is the "correct" exposure?

Last edited by tuco; 07-13-2010 at 12:57 PM.
07-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever you want it to be.
07-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

That's what I'd say too.
07-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it seems to me that this thread has mutated from a substitute for a greycard, to definition of perfect exposure.

I think the first is easy, from experience find something that you can meter off of, and know how many stops you need to add/subtract to put the metered "something" where you want it in a histopgram.

the second one is impossible since this is to some extent an art and no two artists agree.

07-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input guys.

My wife is taking a photography class and the first thing they are teaching is to correctly expose an image. I am thinking the palm of my hand is pretty good to meter at zero. My wife needs to dial in +1 compensation when metering off her hand.

I prefer to find a black or white and meter off of that because it is pretty easy to find either black or white in just about any photograph.

Thanks again guys.