Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Must have accessories for a K-X?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Pentax K-x with the standard 18-55mm lens. I am still on a learning curve but I wanted to know what basic accessories do I need to possess to get that (additonal) extra edge when taking photographs.

Thanks.
SR

07-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend:
- a bag to carry your camera and accessories, safely and simply,
- a good quality SD card (eg Sandisk Extreme II class 10) to take videos and photographs,
- a cloth to clean the lens and more generally a cleaning kit.

Beyond this, save your money to by new good quality lenses. A good lens is worth a lot. All Pentaxians will tell you that a lens will last longer than a camera: it is an investment.

Hope that the comment will help.
07-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, forgot to add that I already bought the following stuff...
- SANDISK 8GB ULTRA SDHC CARD
- Lowepro Topload zoom bag
- Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (GP 2700) 2 sets of 4 batteries each and charger

As regards the cleaning kit, do you recommend a specific brand?
07-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

a tripod!...(I thought that was most important?)

I got the bestselling Dolica one off of Amazon for 40 bucks and it works perfect for my Kx kit. It totally changes the way you take pictures (of static subjects at least). I'll probably upgrade it soon but for 40 bucks you can't beat the value, especially for something so vital

07-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest a lens hood. This will help reduce lens flare in some situations. I know the Pentax version is pricey but I think it helps protect the lens while carrying and is worth the price. Not including a lens hood is one of the drawbacks to the K-X kit.
07-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Filters. A polarizer is needed alot if shooting anywhere near sunlight.
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I see that you have already bought batteries. If they are not hybrid / low self discharge batteries, you really ought to consider getting some. Sanyo Eneloops are pretty popular around these parts. Although these batteries have a lower mAh value than some standard Ni-MHs, I have found that they actually last longer than standards because they don't bleed away power while sitting in my camera/flash/Flip camcorder.

Do not be hoodwinked by super high mAh values - using that as a measure of a good battery is like using only megapixels as a measure of a good camera.

Batteries won't improve your picture quality, but you'll wish you had the best battery possible if you're camera starts indicating low battery sooner and sooner.

Last edited by ChooseAName; 07-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
07-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are a few options for a cleaning kit. A couple of microfiber cloths come in handy. I'm a big fan of the Nikon lens pen, though you can probably find the same thing in another brand cheaper. It has a silicone pad that's been impregnated with some cleaning stuff. Sorry I can't give the technical details. If you get splatter on the lens like salt spray or even sweat, it will remove it easily. It will even clean off dog slobber and baby spit. Don't mean to be gross but if you take closeups those things happen. The other end of the tool has a brush. It's a good practice to brush your lens off each time you use the camera.

I'm also a believer in using a UV filter to protect the lens. There's some controversy on this point but I've dropped my camera on the lens. The filter shattered and the hood broke but the lens ended up fine. Get a multicoated filter as it will eliminate reflections into the lens.

No sense degrading a good lens with a cheap filter. It's easy to buy lenses that are worth more than a camera body, especially after a few years. Bodies depreciate as newer models with more bells and whistles come out. Good lenses hold their value very well, especially Pentax primes.
07-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

QuoteQuote:
SANDISK 8GB ULTRA SDHC CARD
Costco??? I got the same cards cheap at Costco, and they sell Eneloops also some times.
As for tripod, they are at every other yard sale and dozens at the flea market. Thats one of those things I can't see paying full price for. I already have like 10 or 12 of them I picked up. Most I only paid a dollar or two for, and a few of them are pretty nice tripods. A few of them were missing the plate with the screw, but I just found a matching bolt that fit my threads perfectly and made my own plate by running the bolt through the tripod. (When you only have a buck or two invested your not as squemish about drilling holes!)
I also ordered a couple of the mini-tripods for my Craigslist camera (Dimage Z2) and my little Olympus cameras. You can get those on e-pay for a buck or two shipped from China. I even got one in bright red to match my K-x, but the camera swallows it whole. not really practical. I shoot lots of product shots and wanted a tripod for shots a couple inches off the ground. (Like for photographing a stereo receiver or mini-speaker sitting on the ground, etc)
For light reflection I use a couple aluminum food envelopes for grilling. Just unfold them for a GREAT cheap light reflector!
They were originally purchased for "Manifold Destiny" (Google it) which is cooking food on your engine manifold of your car. We've done it many times with various levels of success, but we don't do it anymore. Now we just stop at Subway. It was fun when we did it though!!!
07-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Forum Member

A lens hood is definitely a good idea. Most forum members here consider it an essential, I believe. Lens hoods are built for specific focal lengths, though, so you need to make sure to get one labeled "PH-RBA". Here is an off-brand replica on ebay for $14.
07-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #11

I've been saving up and almost have enough money to complete my purchase of a K-x Dual Lens Kit (black with DA L 18-55 & DA L 55-300 lenses). Near as I can figure, after doing much searching here and the Pentax Webstore, a pair of PH-RBA (52mm) and PH-RBG (58mm) lens hoods will work nicely with the supplied kit lenses.

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the supplied lenses actually come with lens caps. Surely they must, but I can't seem to find any mention of them. So the question is, for those you who have already purchased a K-x kit with single or dual lenses, "Do the lenses come with lens caps out of the box or must the lens caps be purchased separately, also?" I'm just trying to make sure I've got everything 'covered'.

Thanks,
HayTay
07-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by HayTay Quote
What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the supplied lenses actually come with lens caps. Surely they must, but I can't seem to find any mention of them. So the question is, for those you who have already purchased a K-x kit with single or dual lenses, "Do the lenses come with lens caps out of the box or must the lens caps be purchased separately, also?" I'm just trying to make sure I've got everything 'covered'.
My K-x kit was just the 18-55mm but it did come with the front and rear lens caps and I feel certain it will be that way for the two lens kit.

Hope you enjoy your K-x kit. be sure and post some pics from your new camera.
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #13

I appreciate you verifying that the lenses come with front and rear caps for me, BigDog. That makes me feel better about my pending purchase.

From all of the photos I've seen on here that were taken with a K-x, using just the kit lenses, I'm more than impressed. I've decided I'm ready to move up from borrowing my daughter's point-n-shoot camera to my first DSLR. After reading the K-x Users Manual already, it seems that the camera has more features and functions than I'll be able figure out, and use, in my lifetime. There's much to play with and learn. I'll be sure to post some pics when I have a question or I actually figure the camera out and have captured something worthy of posting.

Thanks, from your neighbor one state to the north of you!
07-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HayTay Quote
I've been saving up and almost have enough money to complete my purchase of a K-x Dual Lens Kit (black with DA L 18-55 & DA L 55-300 lenses).
I'm contemplating this exact same purchase.

I don't see mention here of an external flash. I've yet to get my first DSLR, am favoring the K-x at the moment, but have it in mind that I need an external flash early on based on the heavy recommendation by Scott Kelby in his Digital Photography Book (Volumes one and two), which I purchased. He says that portraiture without external flash is a disgrace, essentially (and explains why). I understand that the high ISO performance of the K-x is exceptional, however figure that under certain conditions an external flash can be instrumental in achieving great results. What external flash possibilities are there with the K-x?

Beyond these things I figure I'll need a bag, a UV filter or two (to protect the lenses, more than anything), a polarizing filter maybe, 2 sets of Eneloops. I have a couple of 2GB Kingston SD cards, but they were a bargain purchase a couple of years ago, nothing special. Are they apt to function OK or will I not be satisfied with them?

Last edited by Muse; 07-27-2010 at 08:41 PM.
07-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

extraordinary edge when taking photos???

take one that no one has taken or will ever attempt to take.