Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I use an universal remote for my K100D, I have not tried it with my K-X but don't see why it won't work. This is where I first saw mention of doing this. I know you can get the camera remote much cheaper than you used to be able to but I still like my universal remote.

07-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
I use an universal remote for my K100D, I have not tried it with my K-X but don't see why it won't work. This is where I first saw mention of doing this. I know you can get the camera remote much cheaper than you used to be able to but I still like my universal remote.
How did you find the code on the remote that works with the K-x?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice your link there. At that site it says:

Find the code
Now you need to find a code for your remote that will activate the camera. Obviously the instructions that come with your remote won't contain a code for your camera since they are designed for TVs and the like. Instead you'll have to use the manual search mode to step through each code to find one that works. The details for doing this vary for each remote so read th…
07-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
It does vary with each remote, but it took less than a minute to find one that will work for the k100D.
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
It does vary with each remote, but it took less than a minute to find one that will work for the k100D.
That's probably what I'll do then.

07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I didn't encounter a "bad" blower yet. it's just a piece of rubber with a hole in each side that blows air when you squeeze it. simple but very useful, I use it to clean everything.
never heard of a blower dismantling inside a camera while cleaning, but I might be misinformed.
I'd buy it if that's what your asking.
There's 3 different Giottos rocket blowers and I think I'll get the large one. It's the most effective but not as portable as smaller ones. If I decide I need a blower for my case, I may get something smaller. The large one can be gotten at Adorama now for $10, free shipping, and I've got it in my cart. That other one I had been looking at was 3 bucks cheaper, but doesn't have the same reputation (isn't a Giottos). The Giottos is supposed to be less apt to disintegrate, and of course, disintegrating rubber could spell big trouble in a blower!

Edit: I bought the large Giottos blower from Adorama. Very informative customer reviews for it at Amazon!

Last edited by Muse; 07-28-2010 at 06:10 AM.
07-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #36

muse, go to ebay and type "pentax remote" then hit search.
When the results load, select the box that says "search in titles and descriptions", AND on the upper right select "priced; lowest first". Hit search again. It was one of the first to load.
07-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree Quote
muse, go to ebay and type "pentax remote" then hit search.
When the results load, select the box that says "search in titles and descriptions", AND on the upper right select "priced; lowest first". Hit search again. It was one of the first to load.
Don't see "search in titles and descriptions" but under Search there's a dropdown where you can sort by price+shipping ascending and maybe that's what you're talking about? To me it looks like the top 3 (discarding duplicates) are the same item by different sellers. They don't say how big it is or if it specifically works with the K-x. They indicate that it works with Pentax istDS2, *istDS, *istDL2, *istDL, *istD, K100D, K110D, K200D, K10D,K20D,K-M. Does it work with the K-x? Exactly how big is it?

07-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
O-ME53(A magnifying eyecup) + MF screen (A split lens screen to help with manual focus)

AF540FGZ (A Pentax Flash)

* 2 + umbrellas, softboxes, etc to have a decent light (Studio/portrait lighting equipment)

good raw converter (Software to process raw format images - Plenty of threads on this subject) You do get adequate software with the camera.

IPS-type monitor + something to calibrate it. (A good quality monitor and a monitor calibration kit - Spyder or X-Rite calibration tool and software)

IMO, none of this is essential gear.
you forgot that subject has to be properly and sufficiently lit, lens has to be properly focused (not only for macro), raw has to be properly converted and image in the process has to be properly displayed... makes not sense to load yourself w/ lenses before you will get a proper infrastructure to deliver a good end result from the the body/lens that you already have... you might add tripod/ballhead and something to get WB... and if you are printing that is another story.
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For all you suggesting a class 10 card...can the KX actually take advantage of it? I don't know that the difference between a class 6 and a class 10 would be significant enough on a KX to justify the extra cost.
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
For all you suggesting a class 10 card...can the KX actually take advantage of it? I don't know that the difference between a class 6 and a class 10 would be significant enough on a KX to justify the extra cost.
I can't comment on class 10 vs. class 6, I'm such a K-x newbie that I've not yet attached a lens to mine! I have a couple of 2GB SD cards. Can I get some comments on this, please?

Yesterday I ran a few speed tests with one of the 2 cards I presently have: Kingston 2GB SD. I was surprised at the results. I was using my Acer laptop, bought less than a year ago, with its built-in card reader. I transferred two MP3 files totaling 316MB to and from one of these SD cards. The card had only about 250MB of data on it, so the results would probably have not been as good if it was 1/2 full or more. Write time to the card was 35 seconds, equivalent to about 9MB/second. Write time back to the laptop's HD was 20 seconds, equivalent to 15.8MB/second. Isn't this rather fast? Maybe I'll be OK with these cards for a while (My K-x is arrived a couple days ago, haven't started using it yet... I hope to get good results in burst mode, maybe do some video too).

Last edited by Muse; 07-28-2010 at 09:09 AM.
07-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I think the more important number would be the write-to-card speed, if you want to do burst mode. My K200D RAW images run about 8-9 MB (I think) , so max resolution pictures on the K-x can only be higher than this figure. I doubt it will be fast enough to satisfy your needs.
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I think the more important number would be the write-to-card speed, if you want to do burst mode. My K200D RAW images run about 8-9 MB (I think) , so max resolution pictures on the K-x can only be higher than this figure. I doubt it will be fast enough to satisfy your needs.
I fired up the camera for the first time this afternoon (with the 18-55 kit lens), taking its first shots ever. The shots looked OK, well, some of them (a few were quite blurry!) using totally default settings, which produced ~5.5MB JPGs. I recorded 3 videos, short, around 1 minute each and viewing them on this laptop using Windows Media Player, they were somewhat choppy. The weird thing is the video and the sound are very out of synch!
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #43

QuoteQuote:
Don't see "search in titles and descriptions" but under Search there's a dropdown where you can sort by price+shipping ascending and maybe that's what you're talking about? To me it looks like the top 3 (discarding duplicates) are the same item by different sellers. They don't say how big it is or if it specifically works with the K-x. They indicate that it works with Pentax istDS2, *istDS, *istDL2, *istDL, *istD, K100D, K110D, K200D, K10D,K20D,K-M. Does it work with the K-x? Exactly how big is it?
Muse, one (of many) of ebay's ways to ensure sellers relist more was (more money in their pocket) was to remove "search in titles and descriptions" from the FIRST search. Now, you can only access "search in titles and descriptions" by searching once without it. After that you can search in titles and descriptions. I should have added that the first time. Ebay is notorious for dishonest little software changes just like that. Sorting by price, lowest first is a fine example of that. That search works great, as does time ending sooner, distance closest, and price highest (great for finding quality stuff among pages of cheap china made junk). The ONLY search that does NOT work correctly is "BEST MATCH". Would you like to guess which search is default??? Best match is a scam that throws up items by ebays favorite powersellers. It has some fancy algorythims, (whatever) but basically, its designed to put sellers out front who spend more money listing.
The remote you saw was probably one of them. I saw pictures of several. They were all the same. Some listed K-x and some didn't. I found a listing of one that did, made a mental note of what it looked like, and ordered another from a cheaper seller who didnt list K-x. It will still work. There seems to be a "list" somewhere because I have found while shopping that many sellers have items listed for other Pentax cameras that will work on K-x with a little research. It usually melts down to lazy sellers making you, the buyer, do your homework because they are too lazy to do it themselves as they should.
They are the sellers ebay is so strongly seeking, and the sellers whos items come up in that best match as well. Stupid / lazy sellers spend more money relisting.
I buy/collect diecast cars there. There are sellers who have listed the same old, beat up, half destroyed diecast cars, that IF they were brand new, mint in box, would sell for no more than $2 each, and they have relisted them for 5-6 years, EVERY MONTH. Can you imagine the listing fees they have paid over 5-6 years for some cars that should have been threw in the trash or left beside a park sliding board?
The mentality of these people amazes me.
by the list, I mean these sellers, who many of which have no idea about cameras, all seem to use the same list of makes that their item will fit on. It's like a generic Pentax list (if that makes sense). You can usually narrow down the search and find the same item thats actually listed for K-x, and THAT seller is selling the same exact thing for twice the price. In other words the sellers who include THOROUGH, UP TO DATE lists of what it fits are asking more money.
07-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #44

not exactly a must but this is what I want for my Kx..

1. Weather sealing -- if pentax comes up with a Kx body armor that can give the camera some weather resistance. then Im game for it!

2. AF assist - just something that I can clip on the hotshoe that is also P-TTL

3. Remote - is there something that can trigger the Kx wirelessly (not IR) through the hotshoe? like there will bea reciever on the hotshoe..

4. vertical grip - this is for people with big hands, I bought the Kx for its Image quality, Im kinda 90/100 on the size of the Kx as it doesnt actually fit my big hands and im getting some palm sores when there is a flash mounted on the hotshoe..

so and added grip will be fine.
07-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #45

Camera Lens Mug:

The Camera Lens Mug | Photojojo

Now if only they'll do a Pentax one...