Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

kx or k7?

im starting a mobile photography service. i like the k7 but is it really worth the price of 2 kx's?ill have about 1500-2000 u.s. to play around with but i still need backdrops and lighting so which is the more realistic of the two? keep in mind i need at least two cameras and i have a chronic case of butter fingers.

07-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you need a durable camera, the K-7 no questions asked.
07-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Recommended setup: K7 (USD 800)+k-x (USD 500)+DA 16-50 SDM (USD 800)+ FA 50mm f1.4 (USD 300)+ flashgun 360+560 FGZ or Metz 48+58 AF (USD @))+300)

Cheaper alternatives: K7+Kx + 17-70 SDM + F 50 f1.7 + 560 FGZ 800+500+400+270+300

Advice: do not go cheap on lightning because good light can save your pictures even if you do not have top glass

Even if you go with kit lens (better IQ for K7 kit vs K-x kit btw) a good light delivers

You would absolutely need a large aperture lens for available light so you might consider even A 50mm f 1.7/f1.4

Last edited by kytra; 07-08-2010 at 02:53 AM.
07-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

you double posted this thread, see my opinions in the second one

as an added remark here , the dual Kx option should be your last, better start with K7-Kx, good lights and start building glass on that. I repeat: lightning counts for 80% of the quality of your pic, so don't save on that.

Look here what one can do with an Iphone and proper lightning.

07-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
you double posted this thread, see my opinions in the second one
Double Posted? His post count is a grand total of 1 (One) currently.

To the OP, K7. If you want a second backup camera, grab a Kx or even a K20d.

07-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a mobile photography service definitely a K7. A Kx is a great entry level camera but since this is for a business I would say that the extra $ is worth every penny. As for a back up I would skip the Kx and buy a K20D. The Kx is pretty much inferior to the K7 in almost every way whereas the K20D can at least stand close to the K7.

Also I 2nd the opinion about lighting. Do not try an save money there. Same can be said for lenses. Get the best money can buy.
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Double Posted? His post count is a grand total of 1 (One) currently.
There were two threads, but this was cleaned up by the moderator team. Looks like the earlier reply got lost in the shuffle, but I've restored it.
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sorry about the double post im new to this fourum. but i do have a enough glass to build a gothic cathedral. i ask this because im updating from my old k100ds.my last on finally broke after my assistant dropped it.so since good help is hard to find these days witch one of these cameras will survive the onslaught of every day use and abuse. and does any one know if there is a insurance company out there that can cover my equipment that wont rip me of.

07-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd also suggest browsing this and the DSLR forum. As you might imagine, there have been quite a few previous threads comparing the K-x and K-7.
07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikejax19 Quote
im starting a mobile photography service. i like the k7 but is it really worth the price of 2 kx's?ill have about 1500-2000 u.s. to play around with but i still need backdrops and lighting so which is the more realistic of the two? keep in mind i need at least two cameras and i have a chronic case of butter fingers.
Do not, and I repeat not, go with shoe mount flash units if you are going to be doing a portable studio.
Even cheap as dirt China built studio lamps will be better than that.
The K7 is the better camera as long as you don't push the ISO too hard.
You are a little vague on what you are doing, but if it is portable portraiture, a (and I can't believe I am typing this) constant aperture zoom lens is a better choice than primes.
The 16-50 is a best choice, but 17-70 will be almost as good, and somewhat cheaper.
It's good to have a back up, so if you can spend a little more and take the kit lens, do so.
You may also find that the kit lens is good enough for what you are doing, in which case save yourself the money and just get a couple of them.
For studio shooting, it is generally far more important to have good light than a good camera and lens. Consider purchasing a used K10 or K20D, but make sure it's a low mileage one..
Don't expect any camera you buy to last forever. You can shoot several hundred and into the thousands of exposures a day doing portraiture, especially if you get into schools.
They wear out.
It is important to have some extra equipment to ensure you don't get shut down by something breaking.
At least one extra camera body and lens.
I would like to have 2 bodies the same so that if I have to switch, it's seamless.

Don't forget radio triggers, though the K20 and K7 can plug in via a PC cord.
Having the PC cord as a fall back is a good thing as well.

And batteries for your cameras. The more the merrier.
A big advantage that the higher end cameras have is that they use battery packs.
It is far better to have half a dozen of them than a box of AA rechargeables.

At least 3 flash heads, and preferably four or five, a careful selection of light modifiers and you are good to go.
07-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well like i said i have lenes. but im going to be doing a mixture of in home photography and photography in clubs bars and in specific locations. mainly beaches. i like the idea that i can take video with the kx and k7 because i alway get asked can i do video to. but i like the k-7 because i mount my 800-1200 zoom lens and a wireless mic and do candid videos as well. but i dont want to spend 800 dollars on a camera that if i deop it im gonna have to to spend 250 dollars to get the mirror box replaced because a 3 cent piece of plastic fell out. that was the issue with the last surviving k100d in my fleet of cameras. now im dead in the water after paying my bills. so when i get my cash in august from another job i did i want at least maybe 3 cameras that will handle being dropped. keep in mind im 6 foot 3inches tall and it has to survive a fumble from all the way up there. but i like the k7 but is it gonna be worth the extra cash for 2 more mega pixles or should i stick with the kx. i ask souly on the fact that for the price of a k7 i can have 2 or even 3 kxs. then if one breaks i still have a back up or if i hire some one they can help me out as well.

Last edited by mikejax19; 07-09-2010 at 06:11 PM.
07-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't think any camera can guarantee that it will still work after being dropped.
If you ran your Lexus into a curb would you be upset because a wheel had torn off?
This is what insurance is for.
To a great extent, DSLR cameras are a disposable commodity, in that when they stop working it is often cheaper to the consumer to just buy another one when a camera stops working.
FWIW, I walked into the studio the other day and saw a Nikon D70 still being used.
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well i understand no camera is gonna survive a beating but i just want one that is sorta rustic. i know you can drive a tent steak with a pentax camera but its hard to decide on which cam is gonna survive longer not having had bother cameras in my hands. wolf camera and ritz still dont carry pentax since there company changed hands. but in regards to the low end camera debate. i worked for the picture people and they used older cannon dslrs that did the trick.