Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the diopter set to go with my glass. I like the way it works so far. (All of about a month now.) I have no line bifocals, so I just have to be careful that for some reason I am not looking through that part of the lens when I focus.

07-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote

My question is for those of you who are glasses wearers.

Do you take off your specs and use the Diopitor thingie or just leave them on?

I currently have a -2.5 prescription and the KX goes down to this but it's possible that my prescription will drop down to a -4/5.

If you do use this function... How are the results? Am I best just using my glasses?

Advance Thank you's and
Roll on payday!!
Not a KX, but K100D -- same problem.
I have multi focal glasses and find it best to take them off, as it seems you don't have to be too far out of position to have diopter viewing problems.
Not such a big problem with auto foucus lenses, but a real problem with manual, might be OK with single vision glasses though.
Gets frustrating, they are on, they are off ... but get used to it.
Never use my reading glasses for it, it's like going on a trip
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #18

Is this what you need???

Pentax SMC Correction Lens Adapter M, -4.0 Diopter on eBay (end time 24-Jul-10 13:03:44 BST)
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
I have the diopter set to go with my glass. I like the way it works so far. (All of about a month now.) I have no line bifocals, so I just have to be careful that for some reason I am not looking through that part of the lens when I focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by auspentax Quote
Not a KX, but K100D -- same problem.
I have multi focal glasses and find it best to take them off, as it seems you don't have to be too far out of position to have diopter viewing problems.
Not such a big problem with auto foucus lenses, but a real problem with manual, might be OK with single vision glasses though.
Gets frustrating, they are on, they are off ... but get used to it.
Never use my reading glasses for it, it's like going on a trip
Interesting points, I refuse (vanity I guess) to get bifocals so I have no issue at all with the diopter adjustment, I take my glasses off to read

07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Lowell, I come from a long line of optical people-opticians, optometrists and my mom was the first woman researcher ever published in the American Journal of Opthamology, so believe me when I say that no line bifocals are exactly that. I love mine. If you take your glasses off to read, you know you need bifocals when you think about getting your arms lengthened.
07-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lowell, I come from a long line of optical people-opticians, optometrists and my mom was the first woman researcher ever published in the American Journal of Opthamology, so believe me when I say that no line bifocals are exactly that. I love mine. If you take your glasses off to read, you know you need bifocals when you think about getting your arms lengthened.
I wear progressives and like them a lot. I have a second pair, 0.75 diopter weaker, which I wear for computer work. When I'm reading for any length of time, however, I still take my glasses off. With an Rx of -3.25, I expect I'll be able to read without glasses for a goodly while.
07-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It's not a question of no line visible it's a mental thing. I haveto want to admit the need.

As for arm lengthening that is normally for people with a positive diopter adjustment so I will never get there
07-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I wear progressives and like them a lot. I have a second pair, 0.75 diopter weaker, which I wear for computer work. When I'm reading for any length of time, however, I still take my glasses off. With an Rx of -3.25, I expect I'll be able to read without glasses for a goodly while.
This is exactly my approach also. The weaker pair are called computer glasses

07-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It's not a question of no line visible it's a mental thing. I haveto want to admit the need.
As soon as I saw how sharp and clear the world really was I was ready to admit it. Walls had edges again instead of softly rounded corners. LOL!
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

When I have my glasses on, moving the diopter on my kx al the way to the right is perfectly clear when I have my glasses on. If I take my glasses off, moving the diopter to the left only makes things even blurrier. What exactly is the use of the diopter? Do I have a weird prescription or something?

Charles.
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up getting the O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece for the K-x which somewhat solved the problem... I can now get my face in a more comfortable position with my glasses on as the eyecup is futherback from the camera body... This has helped enormously as I have been using manual focus more frequently of late...
02-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

that's all well and good, but not really an answer to my problem. i don't want to use my glasses when i look through the viewfinder.

Charles.
02-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
When I have my glasses on, moving the diopter on my kx al the way to the right is perfectly clear
Your prescription is in the minus if I am correct... Moving the diopter to the left is just pushing it into plus-prescription territory...

The O-ME53 magnifyer will make shooting with your glasses on considerably easier...

However...

i don't want to use my glasses when i look through the viewfinder
Further ^up^ this thread you will find:

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
Is this what you need??? Pentax SMC Correction Lens Adapter M, -4.0 Diopter on eBay (end time 24-Jul-10 13:03:44 BST)
This (to my knowledge...) is the strongest diopter available... If without your glasses the standard diopter doesn't 'cut it' then you should prehaps source one of these out... If your prescription is more than -4 however you're going to continue having the same problem... Tough luck... Sucks to be you.

My prescription has now reached -5 so to manually focus the O-ME53 Magnifyer appears to be the only option for me... Luckily it is an option that is currently working very well.

Regards
Dave
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

right eye:

Sphere -2.5
Cylinder -0.75
Axis 145
Addition 0

This is not a crazy prescription, it's rather common.

Charles.
02-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
right eye:

Sphere -2.5
Cylinder -0.75
Axis 145
Addition 0

This is not a crazy prescription, it's rather common.

Charles.
Yep my eyes are worse... The Pentax SMC Correction Lens Adapter M, -4.0 Diopter should work for you... just need to source one out...