Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Diopiter on KX for specticle wearers

Hi,
I've been saving for a few months now for a DSLR and after anoying shopkeepers all over Yorkshire with questions and requests to hold and take shots with Nikon 3/5000's, Canon 1000/550's(I think) and Sony and Olympus models and reading literally 100's of reviews, have decided on the Pentax KX for a number of reasons.

I digress...

My question is for those of you who are glasses wearers.

Do you take off your specs and use the Diopitor thingie or just leave them on?

I currently have a -2.5 prescription and the KX goes down to this but it's possible that my prescription will drop down to a -4/5.

If you do use this function... How are the results? Am I best just using my glasses?

Advance Thank you's and
Roll on payday!!

07-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take my glasses off, and I'm pushing the limits of the diopter too.

See how it works taking your glasses off, and if you need it, you can always get a magnifier, even though they're no walk in the park either.
07-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to wear my glasses as I am extremely near-sighted and have astigmatism. I have just had to get used to not being able to see the info line in the view finder when I'm outside.
07-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to wear my glasses. My Rx is -3.25, and I have astigmatism. I wear a weaker Rx at my computer (-2.5), and I sometimes find myself outside wearing my computer glasses. In that case I use my Kx's diopter adjustment plus glasses. I did add a Pentax magnifying eyepiece, and that helps too.

I sure wish I could go without glasses, but no such luck.

07-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I have astigma's too. Have only been wearing glasses about 9 months and the optician advised me that the -2.5's I'm currently wearing are to get me used to wearing glasses as the prescription I need would be 'rejected by my eyes' if given straight away!

Funny thing is, at the time I didn't think I needed them and now I can't see without them!

Are there upgrades available for Diopter's in pentax cameras or is -2.5 as good as it gets?
07-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I did add a Pentax magnifying eyepiece, and that helps too.
Any more info on these?
07-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Any more info on these?
Another company makes one which some say is better. Begins with a "P" I think. The problem is you don't see the edges of the viewfinder, so it's really hard to tightly frame a shot.

I don't understand why you can't just slide something over the eyepiece that accepts a piece of cut glass to your prescription.

My problem is I need my glasses to see distance, but since I have to take them off to shoot, I'm constantly putting them on and taking them off just to be able to spot my next subject.
07-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Any more info on these?
Here's a link: Pentax O-ME53
You replace the stock eyepiece with the O-ME53. It protrudes a bit from the back of the camera, but that helps to keep my cheek off the camera's LCD. Some of the reviews say the eyepiece can slip. Mine stays on solidly, and I've never had a problem with it. It really helps with manual focusing. My eyes aren't the greatest, so I mostly use AF, but for macro shots, the O-ME53 really makes a difference for me.

You only started wearing glasses nine months ago and your Rx is actually stronger than -2.5? Wow. Did your eyes suddenly deteriorate, or have you been walking around seeing significant blur for a long time before finally getting glasses? (If this question is too personal, please ignore....)

I got my first pair of glasses when I was nine, almost 40 years ago. At first they tickled my nose, and back then, only glass lenses were available, so it felt like the nose pads were drilling holes in the bridge of my nose! I too got dependent on my specs very quickly.

I've taken varying doses of Prednisone most of my life, and it causes vision changes. The worst Rx I've ever had was -4.75. I remember some years ago waking up one morning and feeling like I'd put on someone else's glasses. The eye doc confirmed my Rx had improved by a whole diopter practically overnight.

I did wear contacts for several years, first hard and then soft (back when we had to boil them nightly). Of course I wasn't into photography then, so I never got to shoot without the need for glasses!

07-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
You only started wearing glasses nine months ago and your Rx is actually stronger than -2.5? Wow. Did your eyes suddenly deteriorate, or have you been walking around seeing significant blur for a long time before finally getting glasses? (If this question is too personal, please ignore....)
LOL!
I went to the opticians because I started getting really tired when I reading and getting extra headaches. I'm at Uni reading English Lit so it wasn't a great situation.
Also... I just figured that at 12 feet people don't have facial expressions!
I really just hadn't been to an optictian for nearly 20 years and didn't realise I was blind!
07-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I just figured that at 12 feet people don't have facial expressions!
There are also no ugly people at that distance for you, so consider it a plus.
07-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wear glasses, and can't imagine shooting without them - maybe I'd be able to adjust the diopter to be able to see through the viewfidner, but then I couldn't see anything else.

I use the O-ME53 magnifier. Helps a bit with focusing - not an obviou difference, but I do get more keepers with than without. As mentioned, it does make it that much ahrder to see the info display at the bottom, but not so hard that I'm inclined to give up the magnification.

BTW, I notice the photo magazines have ads for a company that makes glasses where one lens flip up, so you can keep the glasses on your head while shooting and still see normally out of the other eye.
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #12

I also have to use glasses while shooting cuz my eyes are really messed up, but the diopter + glasses hasn't been a problem for me, not really.

However, I'm getting contacts in a week or two.
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Without my glasses, none of the diopter adjustment settings works for me. I have to keep my glasses on. Pentax does have an accessory diopter correction lens adaptor M available. One day I might look into getting one, but I'm so used to shooting w/ glasses on it's not that important to me.
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
DaveHolmes:Any more info on these?
I started with the Pentax magnifier, but saw little utility in it. After I bought and installed the KPS 1.32 x magnifier, I immediately sold the Pentax. The KPS one was more than double the Pentax (70-something $ range) but I find it worth it. I think my model is called the U13, but would be glad to confirm for you if you are interested.

QuoteQuote:
Ira: The problem is you don't see the edges of the viewfinder, so it's really hard to tightly frame a shot

Few DSLR cameras have 100 % viewfinders anyway. While what you say is true, it is easy to overcome, particularly with today's 10 to 14.5 MP DSLRS, Just overshoot the boundaries you desire, then crop and frame on the PC later--much more precise, especially with these dinky, crop-frame viewfinders. Actually, the only interest I have in Full Frame cameras is for their unrivaled viewfinders.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 07-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi,
I've been saving for a few months now for a DSLR and after anoying shopkeepers all over Yorkshire with questions and requests to hold and take shots with Nikon 3/5000's, Canon 1000/550's(I think) and Sony and Olympus models and reading literally 100's of reviews, have decided on the Pentax KX for a number of reasons.

I digress...

My question is for those of you who are glasses wearers.

Do you take off your specs and use the Diopitor thingie or just leave them on?

I currently have a -2.5 prescription and the KX goes down to this but it's possible that my prescription will drop down to a -4/5.

If you do use this function... How are the results? Am I best just using my glasses?

Advance Thank you's and
Roll on payday!!
I might be qualified to answer this.,

I have a -3.25 diopter perscription, and while early on in my photography, opted for diopter correction, and shot without glasses, I soon found it a complete pai in the a$$ to keep taking my glasses on and off, because with a perscription beyond about -1, distant objects just are not clear enough to see.

I set the diopter to be perfect focus in all my cameras with glasses on, and leave them on.

I don't see an issue with it.

ps when I started, my perscription was about -.75 (i was quite young then) and it peaked at -3.75 about 8 years ago, it has fallen back a little since then. Hopefully when I get to be about 100, I won't need glasses at all