Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1000 newbie interested in astrophotography! :D

Hi everyone!

I got into 35mm photography this spring and I've been loving it (even though I'm a Generation Y whose first major camera happened to be digital)! My uncle in all his generosity gave me his K1000 not too long ago and it still snaps wonderful pictures even after 15 years of sitting in his closet. Despite the convenience of digital, nothing beats the thrill of shooting with film.

I've heard that the K mount cameras are versatile and the telephoto possibilities are endless. I'm interested in doing some astrophotography in the future. Where do I begin?

I look forward to talking with all of you!

07-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi TLG

You can start with a good tripod and a cable release. The K1000 is fully a manual camera, put the camera in the "B" mode and and use the cable release to trip the shutter. Lock the cable release and this will keep the shutter open as long as you have the cable release locked. Try this method on some star trail pictures, center in on the North Star to get a center star and trails around it.

Also look for a book about astrophotography to get more ideas about various methods. Also look at a copy of Astronomy magazine, they will have pictures that reader have sent into the magazine and also ads for telescopes and adapters to connect the camera to a telescope. Good luck!

Rick