Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When not using your camera

Do you take the lens off and just put the dust cover on or leave it on if you are not using your camera for a few days?

07-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never used the body cap. Mine always has something attached when laying around, (usually the da*300/4),in case opportunity arises outside. Living 40' from a river I never know what may swim, walk, crawl or fly by.

Last edited by imtheguy; 07-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.
07-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not use my camera for a few days? Madness! Utter madness!

*moved to Beginners Section*
See. I can do this moderator's thing. I just go poof and things happen.

But in response to the subject... It is certainly not necessary to store the camera with
no lens attached and body cap in place even were it not being used for a few days or even a week. I am sure many of us have film cameras that are used only a few times a year that are kept in bags or drawers with lenses attached.
Of course dust is a little more troublesome with digital cameras but I would say as long as the cat is not sleeping on the camera or the camera lies on the floor underneath your bed for a month, you are pretty save just leaving the lens attached.
07-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I always store my camera with a lens attached, to be able to take a shot quickly. Typically the camera and the attached lens are in a small top loader bag that I can carry easily everywhere and that is easy to open.

07-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My digital I can't take the main lens off. It's just a big point and shoot with some add on screw on lenses. It just goes into it's case when I am done so it's ready to go, though I do take the memory card out so that it doesn't drain my batteries.

The film cameras they get stored with a kit lens and cap on in the box I keep my SLR gear in. Except for Queenie. She gets stored in her official Pentax leather case with the little crown on it. I do put a cap on her kit lens, but she's loaded with film and batteries, all packed and ready to go, in my leather backpack's front pouch.

When I go out I may or may not take my digital with me, but since I've gotten her Queenie and I have been pretty constant companions. She's my new BFF, that camera. I don't take her to the grocery store but I do take her just about every place else. Sometimes we invite our friend Taku-san along (105MM Takumar) but mostly we just travel around with a kit lens on.

07-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I leave the lens off the body when I put the camera away. This is just because I store my camera equipment in a CD/DVD media unit when not in use. I just leave the body cap on the shelf when the camera is in use, mounting a lens before putting the camera in the camera bag.

There is room on a shelf for the body lengthwise, and I even could leave a lens on the camera, but I have plenty of other shelves for the lenses and other accessories. It just seems easier to see the lenses/accessories and pick what I want to use that day by organizing everything this way. I find I am less likely to forget something simply because I see everything as I pack up. The media storage unit has locking doors, so everything on a shelf is not likely to fall out once I shut them for the night.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-11-2010 at 03:17 PM.
07-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just switch it off and see to it that the accu is fully charged. If there are common batteries (AA's) then have them removed if they are used, so they cannot leak.
But, never store it in a closed bag, keep the bag a little open by putting something in between the cover.
This is important, particularly if there is a rather important environmental difference between the place where you are coming from and the place you are going in (and store the camera). For instance, if you have been out in the cold and damp situation, or went in a hot green house, then the cold surfaces of the camera, like the lenses, might condense causing, on the long therm, fungus in the lens-systems and eventually in the mirror box too if you changed lenses. In this case, it might be good to remove the lens, gently sweep the moister off, keep the mirror box open for a while, just for acclimatisation. Do the same with the SD card's housing if you changed the card on location. People are forgetting that this is an open gate for troubles getting in the camera while shooting in not so extreme situations like sand on the beach, moister in the green house, dust on the building site, even little 'stuff' in the woods, just name it, SD cards can carry it all…

Don't forget that Pentaxes used to be well sealed, but if you open them…

So, keep your camera and accessories clean, dry, not to hot and to cold, and think about the battery's, that's all.
07-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

What the lens comes off, didn't realise that......................................

All my bodies always have lenses mounted, ready to go and over time you will get to know which are the best ones to leave on, for your type of photography.

07-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Never used the body cap. Mine always has something attached when laying around, (usually the da*300/4),in case opportunity arises outside. Living 40' from a river I never know what my swim, walk, crawl or fly by.
Yup, same here, only I live in the middle of the desert and nothing swims by.
07-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Just switch it off and see to it that the accu is fully charged. If there are common batteries (AA's) then have them removed if they are used, so they cannot leak.
But, never store it in a closed bag, keep the bag a little open by putting something in between the cover.
This is important, particularly if there is a rather important environmental difference between the place where you are coming from and the place you are going in (and store the camera). For instance, if you have been out in the cold and damp situation, or went in a hot green house, then the cold surfaces of the camera, like the lenses, might condense causing, on the long therm, fungus in the lens-systems and eventually in the mirror box too if you changed lenses. In this case, it might be good to remove the lens, gently sweep the moister off, keep the mirror box open for a while, just for acclimatisation. Do the same with the SD card's housing if you changed the card on location. People are forgetting that this is an open gate for troubles getting in the camera while shooting in not so extreme situations like sand on the beach, moister in the green house, dust on the building site, even little 'stuff' in the woods, just name it, SD cards can carry it all…

Don't forget that Pentaxes used to be well sealed, but if you open them…

So, keep your camera and accessories clean, dry, not to hot and to cold, and think about the battery's, that's all.
Mold was my concern.

A friend who goes on hunting trips in the swamp says he breaks his camera apart and leaves it in an airtight case with a lot of desiccant when he is out at his fishing camp, where he doesn't have a/c. I thought that was kind of extreme, but thought I would ask here. My camera lives in the comfort of climate control ~80F during the day and ~75F during the evening and night when we are home and hopefully the air conditioning clears reduces the humidity from the 90% that is typical here.
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The desiccant sounds like a good idea for down south.
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The desiccant sounds like a good idea for down south.
Definitely if you are in a "wet" environment but as for California, there's always a lens on my camera.
07-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Most of the time I leave my 18-55 lens on my camera when not in use. I keep it in a camera bag that goes with me on most walks/drives. For me its important to have things ready to go at a moments notice.

As for the moisture, I live in the deep south (otherwise known as the land of humidity). I don't usually find moisture buildup to be a problem. The only exception comes on really really humid days when the camera has been in side in the A/C and I take it out into the swampy air. When that happens sometimes I have a little problem with fog on the lens for a little bit until the camera warms up to the outside air temperature.
07-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

always have a lens mounted on it... usually the 43mm limited as it is small.
07-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Well on my Zenit, The lens stays on only because I bought it with no body cap and I'd hate for that crystal clear viewfinder to get screwed up. My pentaxes wear their bodycaps with pride though.