Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Do I need a thin Circular Polarizer for the 16-45mm Pentax

I just bought a 16-45mm Pentax lens:

Do I need an ultra thin circular polarizer or will a regular one suffice?

Do I need to remove the polarizer for indoor or night shots?

07-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My regular polarizer works, with no corner darkening, but each brand could be different.

You seem to be under the impression that you will want to use a polarizer for almost all your pictures. Most people only use a polarizer to obtain a specific effect. Beware that particularly at 16mm, you may be limited in using the polarizer when continuous-tone areas of blue sky, for example, are included.

Personally I tend to use a polarizer quite a bit for foliage pictures under overcast conditions, to improve saturation of the foliage. And in pictures of streams, to cut reflections on the surface. However, I sometimes don't adjust the polarizer for full effect, because it can make the picture look somewhat dull and artificial to have no reflections at all. I used to use a polarizer frequently to enhance blue sky, until I ran into the wide-angle limitations I mentioned, so now I use it with more moderation.

I assume you are aware that using a polarizer will cut down the amount of light entering the lens, to a degree that depends somewhat on how you adjust it. But you lose at least 1 - 2 stops, so it's like your lens will be an f5.6-8, which can make focusing difficult. And unless you buy a very high-quality polarizer, you will not want to include significant light sources when you have the filter mounted, since additional glass surfaces, particularly uncoated or single-coated ones, will increase flare. My "window glass" polarizers remain off the lens by default.

Paul
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thaks Paul: You were both succinct and quite clear. I'll get a normal polarizer - a Hoya or a Tiffen. I'll remove it when not in the landscape mode.

I wish I could find a Magic Lantern guide or something like it for the K-x as the handbook, while quite complete, is confusing for someone just starting on the DSLR learning curve. Unfortunately the Magic Lantern folks have decided not to publish for the K-x.

Thanks again,

Shaun
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by celt Quote
Thaks Paul: You were both succinct and quite clear. I'll get a normal polarizer - a Hoya or a Tiffen. I'll remove it when not in the landscape mode.

I wish I could find a Magic Lantern guide or something like it for the K-x as the handbook, while quite complete, is confusing for someone just starting on the DSLR learning curve. Unfortunately the Magic Lantern folks have decided not to publish for the K-x.

Thanks again,

Shaun
Polarizing filters are handy to have, but not always necessary, even for landscape photography. Check this site out to see examples of what the filter can do and under what conditions:

Polarizer

Magic Lantern and books specific to your camera aren't the only ones that can teach about photography. Here are two popular examples:

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)…
Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book (9780321474049): Scott Kelby: Books