Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
english meaning help

Hi, i want to know if saying "subsurface introspective" is correcto in english, is for a series of macro pictures, and i want to know if it makes sense, thanks...

07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you give the sentence that you are going to use that phrase in?

It sounds a bit like snobby artist jargon. I'm not quite sure what you intend to mean...but I don't do macro, so maybe I'm missing the requisite domain knowledge.
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
well, im an artist and im setting up a macro set, im spanish so i want to know if that phrase is correct on its own:

subsurface introspective
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been an artist longer than I've been a photographer, and I've never heard that phrase before. Typing it into Google (with quotes to make sure it only hits on the exact phrase) turns up zero hits. So I'm guessing that whatever the meaning you have in mind, that is *not* the correct English phrase. Could you explain what it is supposed to mean?

07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
for me (in a spanish way of thinking, but going to an english target) means that the set is a personal aproach to whats on a macro level... ive done the google stuff too before posting here, and i thought, well, at last is an original phrase, but, is it correct? will it sound ok to english people?
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

En Ingles, no.

Quien puede entenderlo?
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
para mi tiene sentido, es como introspectiva de lo oculto, lo que no se ve a simpel vista
07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sounds exactly like a non-English phrase that didn't translate correctly to me. Introspective is clear enough, but what "subsurface" has to do with anything is unclear. That's the word I'm thinking you aren't translating the way you mean. Literally, that words means beneath the surface, and it is usually used very literally. Actually, the phrase "beneath the surface" works better, since it is often used in a more figurative sense. Like, talking about people, talking about what's "beneath the surface" would mean, something about their personality or character. Talking about their "subsurface" would mean the layer of flesh just under the epidermis.

07-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Sounds exactly like a non-English phrase that didn't translate correctly to me. Introspective is clear enough, but what "subsurface" has to do with anything is unclear. That's the word I'm thinking you aren't translating the way you mean. Literally, that words means beneath the surface, and it is usually used very literally. Actually, the phrase "beneath the surface" works better, since it is often used in a more figurative sense. Like, talking about people, talking about what's "beneath the surface" would mean, something about their personality or character. Talking about their "subsurface" would mean the layer of flesh just under the epidermis.

ok i got the point marc, thanks for your comment. i will rethink my concept
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

It's got me beat, but hey, I'm Scottish.

p.s. gypb, Congrats on World Cup result.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-12-2010 at 11:19 AM.
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks!!
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

¿qué?

maybe there is not a commonly used phrase which is the same meaning

"Subsurface introspective" is kind of like saying "view looking underneath the surface".

A picture says 1000 words so I was trying to think what you might be doing to come up with that term. Backlighting an object which is translucent to see the internal detail?
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm from Argentina, so i know Spanish.

Tell me the phrase in Spanish and i'll see if i can translate
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Gives the term "navel gazing" a new meaning, I guess :-). Maybe it would mean, the contemplation not of the outward appearance navel, but the blood vessels (assuming there are any?) inside the remnant of the umbilical cord itself (sorry for being so graphic).
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
Hi, i want to know if saying "subsurface introspective" is correcto in english, is for a series of macro pictures, and i want to know if it makes sense, thanks...
No. Makes no sense and you don't want to say it.

The "sub-" prefix means "under." The "intro-" (Latin intra) prefix means "within." You've got two prefixes fighting with one another there. You can look below the surface of things, or you can look more deeply within things. But you can't do 'em both at the same time.

There's another problem. "Introspective" is an adjective, at least it is generally. "Perspective" is almost always a noun, and "retrospective" in English can be a noun ("We were at the museum last month for the Ansel Adams retrospective.") but "introspective" usually can't. And "subsurface" also seems to be primarily an adjective. So you have two adjectives there, one of them trying desperately and unsuccessfully to qualify the other.

Amending to "subsurface introspection" would fix the two-adjectives problem. But the phrase still doesn't mean anything.

Will