Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Using a MF 75-200 Zoom Lens in Kx

I picked up a old Soligor 75-200 + Macro lens that I'm using on a Kx. When I mount the lens and turn on the camera I need to enter the focal length.
Does it matter what I input? The shots seem to be coming out OK regardless.

Attached Images

07-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As a general rule of thumb you can input a focal lenth that is close to the mean. So for your 75-200 I would input 135-140 but I really think it doesn't matter.
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

It does matter, because there is more shake/movement at longer lengths, but I don't know how much :-) The manual- focus zoom is the least compatible of the "24 million" lenses that will work on Pentax cameras for that reason.
07-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In case it isn't clear, the only reason you need to enter focal length is so the SR system knows how much to compensate for camera shake - the same actual amount of shake has a greater effect and therefore needs more compensation at longer focal lengths. If you enter too high a number - by at least a factor of 2X - the system could overcompensate yby som much that you'the results are worse than simly turning SR off. So it's best to understate the focal length. well, it's *best* to re-enter focal length every time you zoom, but obviosuly, that's not very practical. just do what makes sense to you now that you understand why you are entering a number. If you plan to mostly use it a 75, entering 150 would be bad - probably worse than non SR. if you plan on mostly using at 150, though, entering 150 would be fine. if you have no idea where you'll be using it, then it's better to err on the side of picking to low a number than too high. I'd probably go with 100.

07-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great advise. Now that I understand, I guess it also safe to say that if I use this lens while the Kx is mounted on a tripod, the FL setting won't matter at all being that I have to disable SR anyway.