Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Worried about a lens purchase...

I bought my KX a few months ago with the one kit lens (I have a couple older manual lenses, which I like but need a bit of cleaning). I live in a very remote & isolated area of BC Canada and I am currently on our vacation where I was hoping to hit up some pawn shops through our trip across BC and maybe find some lenses. Well I did find one that from everything I read and had quickly googled while at the pawn shop seemed like it would be perfect... so I bought it as it looked in great condition for the price.

I got a Tamron AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD model # 572D (for $80 CDN)

However it wont directly mount onto my KX.. its too large by a mm or two, and from what I've been reading of posts since I bought it... its supposed to mount without a problem? If I need an adapter then thats fine, I dont have a problem buying one, I hope I can find one online... (and I'd need to have some info on what exactly I need to buy)
But I am also worried that I just wasted my money on a lens built for another camera that I can't use at all. Please any help is really appreciated, I'll even post pics of the lens if needed.

Thanks in advance!

07-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anemos Quote
I got a Tamron AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD model # 572D (for $80 CDN)

However it wont directly mount onto my KX.. its too large by a mm or two, and from what I've been reading of posts since I bought it... its supposed to mount without a problem?
It's supposed to mount without problem IF it's made for Pentax, i.e. it has a Pentax KAF mount. Did you align the red dot on the lens to the dot on the camera mount? If your lens' mount is really larger than the camera's bayonet then I'm afraid your lens is made for another brand (for Canon or Nikon, etc). Check the box, manual of your lens and the lens itself, does it say "for Pentax" (or something similar) anywhere or does it say another brand (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc)?
07-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

it puzzles me... did you asked the seller if it was for Pentax?

Anyway, just compare the mount of the kit lens and the Tamron mount. If they are not identical, probably you got a wrong lens, sell it and get a PK mount.
07-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anemos Quote
I
But I am also worried that I just wasted my money on a lens built for another camera that I can't use at all.
Yep--that's about it.

07-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well that really sucks.

I did try it lined up to the red dots, and also turned it all 360 around, though carefully cuz I wasnt about to jam on a lens to my camera and fubar the whole thing lol. Nothing on the lens said anything about a brand and one of the sellers said he had a Pentax cam and it would work but I prolly needed an additional mount. Oh well lesson learned I guess, hopefully they will refund it for me.

Thanks everyone for the help!!